Basic Cookbook for a beginner?
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (36)
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Discussions
Beyond Beginners - What is next beyond basics?
Comments (14)So....here is how I have digested all this info: (BTW, when I went three yrs without repotting, it was because I did not know any better and I have NO IDEA how I got so lucky with such hardy and healthy plants. They were all 7 bucks from Costco!!! All have been repotted since and most have lived on and bloomed.) Yes - light and root rot seem to be my issues. So, I am tracking the light and moving plants around. Was not ready for harsh autumn sun low in the sky. Watering...am "listening" to my orchids more now. The Yellow Boy that was in root rot crisis...had a nice little trim of his roots and potted him shallow in clean medium. Happy plant! Blooms are busting out all over now and the one scary, curly leaf is just ready to fall off. My sad Vanda that was under-watered for so long....drum roll please....has 2 new leaves AND 2 new spikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gee, amazing what some water can do :o) I love the idea of creating a monthly calendar and index cards for each plant to keep track...that is right up my alley and I think it will be important in assimilating information and making sure each has what it needs. I do not plan on mounting any of my orchids at this time. I have cats, so mounted orchids are just cats toys waiting to have their roots ripped off! I love having my vanda as a hanging orchid and will likely stik with Phals and Cids from here forward. Fertilizer and lights (artificial) still have me a bit stumped, but I know there is tons of info available here for me to search. I love the simple and basic stuff best and am happy to have the tip on peroxide. I have mostly clay pots but have plastic liners...considering removing the plastic as an aid to prevent root rot. Thanks for that tip. Water quality: well, I use the same water as the guy down the road who has prize winning orchids, so I am guessing it is OK, but I have learned to heat it in the microwave for a few seconds first and my plants really seem to like that. I will likely join the Cape Fear Orchid Society, but thanks for the tip on AOS...think I will look in to that too. I have reviewed the recommended books and added a couple to my christmas list. Light light light...that is where I am going to direct my focus next. THANK YOU...ALL of you! :o)...See MoreContainer growing basic beginner questions:
Comments (24)I can only assume that the 10 or more 55 Qt bags I bought this year must be a local mix or something then. Maybe it varies in different parts of the country which I believe it states on the bag. Mine has quite a bit of pine Bark fines in it already, in fact it looks like more bark (some of it very fine though)than anything else. Next is Peat then the "coir" and the Perlite. It can have up to 60% pine bark and compost according to the MSDS. All the bags I have gotten seem to have about that percentage. In 15+ gallon pots it seems to work very well for me, and in the 380 Qt Vegtrug it works great. Also in my part of the country blight is rampant regardless what mix you start it in unless you grow in a temp/humidity controlled greenhouse. The insane humidity here is a perfect breeding ground for it and spreads like wild fire. In zone 5 you are correct, not that much blight there. Craig Lehoullier just a couple miles from me just pulled all but about 30 of his 212 plants last week mostly because of blight. MGMC works just fine as long as you use large containers so that the perched water is not that much of a problem. I am going to pull my first 2 tomato plants probably within the next week, I will take pictures of where the perched water is in the container. I do plan on amending this years MGMC with a few bags of Orchid Mix next year which is nothing but perfect size pine bark fines and small charcoal and fired ceramic bits just to loosen it up just a bit more. But as long as you use at least 15+ gallon pots you should be fine with straight MGMC, at least what I get here in NC. I water my plants every single day unless it just rained. When over 100 degrees sometimes 2 even 3X a day. The 3rd time is mostly just to cool the roots. But I have never had any problems with this MGMC it drains quite good in large pots, the plants take a nice big drink, it drains right on out except for the bottom 2-3" is soaked the rest is just moist. All of my plants have done great in it. Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Lettuce, Mint, Rosemary, Bok Choy, Blueberries plus all my wifes flowers all planted in MGMC all are doing great. So I cant complain about it, even though I do think for "Tomatoes" that it should be amended with more Pine Bark and maybe some vermiculite, Perlite or what ever to lighten it up some....See MoreRecommendaions for beginner cookbook?
Comments (29)Along with the others already mentioned... "Clueless in the Kitchen" by Evelyn Raab. This book is designed for teens, but I used it to teach a class for elderly men who were recently widowed or having to take over food preparation. The fellows loved the title and had fun learning to cook using this book as their guideline. One class was going to the store, which seemed to be needed nearly as much as basic measuring and preparation information. I also included "bargain hunting" in the shopping class. Such as: how the cost of 100% frozen orange juice concentrate is a fraction of the price as ready-to-use the stuff in the refrigerator case....all for the addition of 3 cans of water. Everything is very basic and includes things not usually found in most books.... 1. Storing Food - What Should Go Where 2. Basic Kitchen Sanitation - A Life or Death Issue 3. The Care and Feeding of Your Refrigerator 4. Defrosting the Freezer 5. Cleaning Your Stove 6. Appliance Troubleshooting for the Complete Idiot 7. Shopping 8. Convenience Foods - the Good, the Bad, and the Silly It includes recipes for: -breakfast -salads, soups, side things -mainly meat -primarily pasta -extraordinary eggs -something fishy -vehemently vegetarian -baking up a storm -desserts -snacks & munchies The back of the book includes meal planning, a list of cooking terminology, metric conversion table... I also included a notebook for their use. It had sheets on Ingredient Substitutions and Food Yields, Common Can Sizes, Baking Pan Sizes, etc. These you can get free from your County Extension Office. They could also add their favorite recipes to the notebook. -Grainlady...See MoreOT: Best Cookbook for Beginner
Comments (30)I'll chime in to add to the chorus in support of Joy of Cooking, and second Eliz's recommendation of The New Basics. Both are absolute staples. I love Moosewood but find it's not the easiest to navigate. Mark Bittman's column is fantastic, and everyone I know who has How to Cook Everything swears on it; I just had to declare a moratorium on cookbook purchases so it hasn't made it home with me. In addition to Cook's Illustrated, I find Everyday Food to be really accessible without being pedestrian, and subscriptions are only $12! Here is a link that might be useful: Everyday Food...See More- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Stories

LIGHTINGA Beginner’s Guide to Lighting in Layers
Discover the secrets of combining light sources to create richer-looking and more flexible living spaces
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROSA Beginner’s Guide to Managing a Remodel
How do you make your design dream a reality? Here’s some project management know-how to help you work with your designer
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESA Beginner's Mini Guide to Buying Antiques
Experience the thrill of the hunt without ignorance ruining the spoils, with this guide to antiquing for novice buyers
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES10 Tips to Start a Garden — Can-Do Ideas for Beginners
Green up your landscape even if you're short on time, money and knowledge, with these manageable steps for first-time gardeners
Full Story
ARTCollect With Confidence: An Art-Buying Guide for Beginners
Don't let a lack of knowledge or limited funds keep you from the joy of owning art. This guide will put you on the collector's path
Full Story
DIY PROJECTSHow to Replace Your Kitchen Faucet
Swap out an old faucet to give your kitchen a new look — it's a DIY project even a beginner can do
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGreat Design Plant: Knock Out Roses
As glorious as their high-maintenance kin for a fraction of the work, Knock Out roses make even beginners look like garden stars
Full Story
Houzz Gifts: 11 Great Finds for Budding Chefs [Video]
With these tools and kitchenware from the Houzz products section, a beginner cook can feel like a pro
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHouzz Call: What’s Cooking in Your Kitchen?
Most of us turn to recipes, videos and culinary shows when we cook. Where do you set your cookbook, tablet or TV screen?
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Whip Up a 'Little Paris Kitchen' of Your Own
Get a kitchen that's big on flavor and short on excess, with accessories and tools inspired by the BBC show and cookbook
Full Story
plllog