SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amldaley_gw

Beyond Beginners - What is next beyond basics?

amldaley
16 years ago

What is the next stage of learning beyond beginners basics? I have a general understanding of light and water and medium. Now what?

I managed to have 9 healthy phals rebloom each year for three years in Baltimore. I lost two in the initial move to NC last December. I nursed them through serious damage and neglect. I lost two more and am about to lose another, but 4 began blooming in April, May and in to June and July. Two only bloomed a couple of months, one bloomed 4 months and the other is still in bloom 5 months later. In the past, I just followed the very basics - light and water. They were never even repotted and they were happy.

In June, we moved in to a new house in NC. And nothing has been the same since.

I have root rot everywhere. And I foolishly let some leaves sunburn.

I have a new, unidentified oncidium in FULL bloom and a sweet dort in bloom but I am now terrified these two will head down the same path!

So, I need to know "what's next". Is it learning about humidity? (It is VERY humid where we live, even with the AC on indoors). Is it learning about grow lights? Chemicals & minerals & minors (fertilizers and foods etc)? What is the next level for me to step up to in my learning?

I am not a beginning beginner, but I certainly don't know much. I think I have made every mistake possible in the last few months. I am not in a position to have a greenhouse or even a solely dedicated orchid area. I just want to know "a little" more. Instead of asking many seperate questions as I have been, I will ask them all here, all at once.

I have taken several photos and posted them to a blog page.

If you take the time to look at these photos and comment or advise or guide me on what I should be learning and doing at this stage, thank you. (

(But please, hold the condescension, I feel bad enough about this as it is. You can educate me without lecturing me. )

Any practical advice will be greatly appreciated.

Click and scroll to Orchid Owies

http://amldaley.typepad.com/amldaleys_orchids/

thanks to all of you!

A-M

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida