SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

need help with seed starting mix!

I want to make my own seed starting mix. The thing I'm confused about is how much of each ingredient to use for the size of the batch I want to make. I plan to make a 15 gallon batch.....the mix says to use.....

• 2 parts sphagnum peat moss OR coconut coir – for moisture retention
  • 2 parts finely sifted finished compost, vermicompost or a blend – for nutrients
  • 1 part perlite – for drainage and to reduce weight
  • 1 part vermiculite – for drainage, moisture retention and to reduce weight

I really suck with ratios, so if I'm making a 15 gallon batch what would each of these ingredients translate to with gallons?

Also, it says to add 1/4 cup of slow release fertilizer for each cubic foot of mix.

How many cubic feet would be in 15 gallons of the mix? When converting from the 15 gallons to cubic feet, should I just convert to dry cubic feet?

Also one question about the fertilizer; it says to use a balanced slow release fertilizer (one with equal parts each of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium). I found a bag of slow release fertilizer that is 5-5-5. It doesn't specify whether it can be stirred directly into the soil mix. However since it's slow release, I'm going to assume it would be suitable for container gardening? Yes or no? I honestly don't know.

Comments (11)