SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Are $20 lamps really needed? / Another Blue/Red Question Too

oldbat2be
9 years ago

We're growing vegetables, annuals and perennials from seed in an outdoor greenhouse (Zone 5b). Currently, we have 4 - 48" long, 4 bulb each, T5 HO fixtures, with built-in reflectors.

Regarding bulbs: we purchased a case (25) of the below bulbs, for around $80. This included shipping. This seemed to make sense, with respect to the higher individual cost at the big box stores.

FL54/T5/865/HO - 54 Watt - T5 High Output - 6500K - 800 Series Phosphors - Plusrite 4129

I'm still confused over whether we really need to have warmer lighting as well, or whether the existing bulbs will be sufficient. We hope to grow vegetables in the greenhouse over the summer and move the flowers out when we can plant outside safely. Lumens numbers are great, with lamps a few inches above the tops of the plants, as high as 55K+ where the lighting from the fixtures combines. (I have no idea how this will work with a taller plant).

In danbringhurst's recent post, aruzinsky suggested (among many) the Giesemann T5 Replacement Lamps, which are $20+. Depending on how much warm lighting I need (half and half?), what would you recommend for lamps? How do the benefits of the $20 lamp referenced above outweigh the benefits of a $3 lamp?

Thank you in advance.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!