SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitinstlouis

delicate community gardening situation

kitinstlouis
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and want to thank you in advance for your help.

I'm a long-time organic gardener but health now makes gardening too difficult. I do have a whole lot of experience and have run into a difficult issue.

On the property of my business, I've lent about 1/6 of an acre to a group of people who wanted to create an organic garden in honor of a mutual friend who passed away. These young folks are responsible, thoughtful people whom we trust with keys, etc.

I've let then have free rein for the most part, but they let a volunteer bring in a truckload of, ostensibly, top soil that turned out to be pure clay. They used it to create two berms of native flowering plants, that are doing fine, but, obviously, it's extremely time consuming to weed. Now they are full of Bermuda grass and bindweed among other nasties. Inn not sure it's being weeded at all lol anymore. And being on my businesses property makes our operation look shabby as they are both along a side street.

I've been talking gently about my dissatisfaction with these berms for about 5 years now. I even purchased a couple of big bags of sand for them to use on it, hoping that it would make weeding easier. They decided to use the sand on other things, fearing the sand will kill the native plants Inn the been. Where they got the idea that would harm them, I have no idea. I've used sand and peat to break up clay on many occasions, in existing soil with great results.

Anyway, we talked to them again before spring, saying the berms have to go but they've done nothing to resolve the issue.

I don't think they really understand that a big blob of clay isn't considered by anyone a viable garden medium. They are now angry that we don't have appreciation of their efforts, and I'm feeling taken advantage of. If anyone has a suggestion on how to handle this beyond bulldozing those berms, I'd appreciate it.

Comments (3)