SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summershine1

A very delicate situation. I need opinions

summershine1
12 years ago

I could really use some opinions with this situation.

I am training a young lady at my job. The job requires extensive time on the phone helping the public with medical emergencies. This young lady is black and very well educated. While on the phone with our clients, she will use improper English such as AX for ASK and CENT when the word should be CENTS.

Would you correct her?

I am not a racist person but I fear I will come across as such if I correct this.

I have also tried to think back to time spent on the telephone with other companies, such as Verizon,banks, etc, and don't recall ever hearing someone use those terms.

Should I correct this and if so, how should I phrase what I say to her?

Thank you for your replies.

Comments (42)

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

Why is her skin color the first thing you say about her?

It's an accent, that's all.

• sheesh
    12 years ago

I think you should ask Human Resources immediately. They are supposed to know these things. Don't get yourself in a situation you have to defend without first getting info on the right way to handle this. It is not your business to correct her speech, but the company image should be important to HR. They probably hired her and know how she speaks.

• Related Discussions

Need help creating privacy. Opinions very welcome.

Q

Comments (9)
    I'd tear out that green thing that is up against the corner of your house. Can't quite tell what it is, but it's growing out over towards the window to avoid competing with the other green shrub at the corner of your house. Don't need two things there, so if you can salvage it, move the shrub, or just edit it out. That will give you some breathing space. Then you can create a shrub border to block the view, or a low scalloped fence mixed with tall plants, whatever. But first clear out that corner so you have a clean slate. Seems like those plants are too close to the house anyway. Maybe look at some landscaping books to find some idea photos for what looks good as a fence border or a shrub border. There are lots of options, but it takes some finagling. I have a lot of landscaping books with pictures, photos, plants and instructions, so I'm sure you can find what you need. But anyway, my two cents is to just clear out that corner, those plants don't seem to fit there anyway, its a placement issue.
    ...See More

A Delicate Situation

Q

Comments (15)
    Ginny: I have found that people like that are not nice to know. They have no right to treat you like their drudge. Of course they'll abuse you verbally or send you nasty letters, since they're not bright enough to do the work themselves they might as well try to extort info. Over the years, I have lost quite a few "friends" like that. Good riddance. And there is no reason for why you have to tell them who your publisher is. Tell them you're not divulging the information to discourage claim jumpers. Last year, I went to a press party where I thought I was among friends. When asked about my current projects, I incautiously dropped a hint. Two of these "friends" wrote to my publisher and tried to take a project away from me. Fortunately my publisher told them where to go and sent me a note about the incident. Since that episode, my lips have been sealed. (But I've considered making up fake projects to send the nerds on a wild goose chase. Just to keep them occupied and out of my hair.)
    ...See More

Very Delicate Situation

Q

Comments (14)
    " voyeurs watch; exhibitionists show" - that shows you how educated we are on the subject. lol Here's the story, Sue. These people live in our building, on our floor. Our apartment is a corner apartment. Our windows face the street and the courtyard. Their's is not a corner apartment but all their windows face us in the courtyard. We never had a problem with the previous tenant who, by the way, was a young bachelor who always seemed to have company. But he was discreet and considerate. These people just moved in and actually introduced themselves to us. "Hi, I'm Mike. If there is anything that I can ever do for you". I, at first, thought he was being helpful. Now, I'm not so sure. lol You already know how my board works and now, with the only member voted off who gave a damn and the sponsor controlling the board, we don't think we would get anywhere. Actually, we know we wouldn't get anywhere especially if these people are renters. The attitude of the sponsor is "as long as they pay their rent, who cares". Sad, but true. I like the note idea. I know lazygardens had also said something about this. Yes, I do believe that is the way to go. Thank you.
    ...See More

Very Delicate Doggie Question

Q

Comments (8)
    just be careful of using something with alcohol in it jannie because alcohol can be really irritating if it gets on the skin. I usually pop them in the laundry trough with front paws on the edge and the hand held shower rose washes most of it away and then I clean up the rest with shampoo and just towel off the back end. next time you are at the groomers you can tell them to do a good clean shave back there, a lot of groomers dont like doing that because they think it's a bit unsightly but I always clipped the back ends very close to prevent the "hitchhikers" as vicki calls them :)
    ...See More
  • chloecat
    12 years ago

It's not an accent. It's a mispronunciation. I have a Southern accent, but I don't mispronounce words.

• aqr32583
    12 years ago

I don't have an answer for you but I'll confess this drives me nut- and it's not a race thing i don't think, at least not around here. Mostly with younger people I've noticed.

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

If I were the new employee and wanted to do a good job I would want to know the proper pronunciation. However it can be tricky to correct someone, anyone - you don't want to embarrass her but it is important in a business climate to speak correctly. Consulting HR and your supervisor is great advice.

• gardenspice
    12 years ago

The link below is a column by Eugene Kane that you might find useful.
    Myself, I agree with others who suggest you get guidance from your management. I think that the young woman needs to know the correct pronunciation to use at work, but it could be sensitive. In these situations I always put myself in the subject's shoes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eugene Kane on Ax vs Ask

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

A lot of people up north consider a deep south accent as mangling the English language, and almost unintelligible.

It's all in how you relate to other people.

• summershine1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Monica,
    I mentioned that she is black because I don't want to come across as racist to this young lady and since that is my fear,I included it so people would give me their opinions on if it was a racist issue or an English language issue. I am trying to include all of the details. There is no other reason than that.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

I think there is professional business language and I think there is how we speak every day. I can think of many examples of words and phrases I use with friends that I would never have used at work with clients or some colleagues.

The store Target told employees to never pronounce the name of the store as "Tarzhay" when at work. Outside of work, they can say whatever they want.

I don't see anything wrong with saying "When speaking to clients please say "ask" not "ax".

However, because of the chance that it might be construed as racial, it's best to talk to HR first. It's a litigious world out there.

Gardenspice, that's a good article.

• linda_in_iowa
    12 years ago

I can't stand it when someone asks "Where's that at?" rather than just "Where's that?" It comes across to me as being uneducated but it is common usage among so many these days. Some Iowans end a sentence with "with". I asked a friend who is a writer and does that. He said it is a regional thing.
    I think it does sound unprofessional to use "ax" instead of "ask".

• marylmi
    12 years ago

It seems like one of the qualifications for the job would be to speak correctly with proper pronounciation no matter what your race is. If they are not doing that, then it should be brought to attention. Too many companies have employees that when speaking on the phone are not even understandable.

• two25acres
    12 years ago

I think you need to ask yourself if this is an issue that bothers you personally or is it an issue that affects her job performance. What's the likelihood that she will be speaking with others that will understand her pronunciation versus those that will not. In a medical emergency I doubt someone is going to ask her to repeat herself because they don't understand her. It would seem to me that listening skills are equally important.
    As for Human Resources, you were put in a job that people believe you are capable of handling, I'd be a little put off if you had to come to me for advice on this matter. I'd let it play out and if it affects her job performance, then address it. If not, the problem will solve itself.

• Caran79
    12 years ago

I agree with Mary. I have always lived in the
    North, and have never considered a "deep South accent
    as mangling the English Language". The same way I
    don't think that Irish and English natives are
    mangling the English language, because they speak
    differently from me and my English usage. LOL This is mispronounciation and
    has nothing to do with an accent...it is a way
    that certain people in our Society speak. (and I don't
    mean only Blacks). A lot of young people think it
    is cool...why, I have no clue.

Yes...if she is going to be treated as a professional --
    she needs to be shown how to act like one. The boss
    makes the rules!!

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

Very well educated? Huuum...doesn't say a lot for her education does it?! Speak to HR, I mean they hired her after all and had to have noticed she doesn't speak correctly. Such a pet peeve of mine! AX, CENT, MINES ugh!

• chisue
    12 years ago

Many African-Americans are accustomed to switching back and forth between 'Black English' and standard English as the situation requires. Some teachers and students in the Chicago Public Schools speak one way in their communities, but they are expected to speak standard English in school. It's not so different from expecting any ESL person to use standard English away from home.

Is this employee switching back and forth, depending on the caller's speech, or is she unable to speak standard English?

If an employee doesn't communicate in standard English, it reflects on the employer. If I called with a medical emergency I'd expect to talk to someone who sounded professional and competent. Hearing someone saying "ax" or dropping a lot of "you know's", just doesn't convey that image.

• SunnyDJ
    12 years ago

This really bothers me and it's doesn't matter what color a person is, they should use correct English.....It doesn't sound like she really that educated, does it?
    And I "love" to hear these so called college educated sports people when interviewed, you can count the "you knows"........
    Of course that's not helping with your question, I'd talk to whoever hired her or HR.....

• azzalea
    12 years ago

In all honesty, I hear this sort of speach frequently when I call businesses. And 'correct English' is definitely in the eye of the beholder. There are many, many, many different forms of 'correct English' in use today.

Whether or not many of us speak this way, nor like the trend, it IS becoming and accepted use of language in our society. You run a serious risk of putting your own position at risk if you make an issue of this. As far back as 40 years ago, when I was teaching high school, I was told by the English dept. that they didn't correct those kinds of mistakes, because their emphasis was on communication NOT on teaching grammar/pronunciation, etc. Whether we like it or not, ourselves, THIS IS ACCEPTED, it's how many young people ARE taught to express themselves, today

You might sit down with a superior, to find out what they want you to do, but be SURE to get the answer in writing (a confirming e-mail?) if you're told to try to instruct this employee how to speak correctly. Protect yourself!

• amicus
    12 years ago

My young neighbour always used to say 'ax.' He is friends with my son and they work at the same car dealership. One day he was answering some questions for a couple who said they had just moved here from China and needed to buy a car. They were trying to secure the best deal possible for their purchase.

Eventually, my neighbour said to them "Well, I've given you the very lowest price I'm authorized to allow. The only way you can possibly steal this car is if I ax my manager for you." Well, the customers suddenly backed off with horrified looks on their faces. The man then lowered his voice and said "Please sir, we only want the best you can do for us, we don't want to steal anything or kill anybody!" My neighbour didn't understand and asked them what they meant by that. The customer repeated my neighbour's words.

My neighbour finally understood and assured them he didn't literally mean 'steal' and he certainly didn't intend to kill his manager. After the couple left (they didn't buy the car) my neighbour mentioned the incident to my son. Although it was kind of humorous, he decided then and there he would learn to not say 'ax' any more.

My son jokingly told his friend he might get his 'a$$ kicked' if the manager found out he probably lost a sale by scaring the customer. He told my neighbour to say 'a$$ kicked' repeatedly, then just drop the 'icked' and stop short. Within about an hour my son had broken his friend's 24 year habit and they had a good laugh about his method. Our neighbour told us that he never said 'ax' to appear cool, it was simply that he'd been raised in a family that mispronounced it that way.

• joyfulguy
    12 years ago

I'm concerned about mentioning this, as I don't want to suggest that you do something that may put either your position or reputation within the company, or your rapport with this employee at risk.

Also, though I lived in the Orient for a time, I have not lived in a situation where race was as touchy an issue as it has been frequently in your country. And prone to being litigious, with a number of folks in the general U.S. society having gained a reputation, justified or not, for having some tendencies that way.

Were I in your situation, I think that I would choose a time when things were going well, she was in a good mood and we were not busy, and suggest to her that something had come up that concerned me a bit, but that I was somewhat reluctant to deal with it, and would like her agreement/permission about it.

Speak of her having been well trained, and with her natural ability that she could go ahead in the field, and how important it is for all of us to be able to transfer our ideas to others as congruently as possible, that is, to have the idea that forms in the other person's mind as close to being identical to the idea that left mine through my words, movements, etc. as possible ... that someone who develops skill at that will go farther in life than someone who doesn't pay attention to it. That I respected her skill and liked her personally and would like to see her get ahead.

And that I was a bit concerned about the situation with a couple of words that I'd heard her use, etc. as being ones that many people tend to use in conversation, but may give a bit of a negative impression if used to someone whose only impression of us is gained by our words over a telephone ((where the colour of our skin isn't apparent/doesn't matter??)).

On the other hand ... maybe, rather than going over to HR, I'd be inclined to run the idea by my immediate supervisor, who quite likely is closer to the situation so could offer more knowledgeable/perceptive/aware/skillful guidance than someone six offices away.

Just my $00.02 ... or, soon to be $00.05 worth, I guess.

ole joyful

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

Language to me can be a culture issue. In the East the people pronounce many words different and mean different things. I had a friend from Boston, talked about a stoop (sp) and finally I asked her what she meant--she said you know those things you walk on or sit on- OH, You mean steps! In HS, I had a real close friend from Louisiana and after a couple of weeks, our friends could not understand either of us. I pick up accents so easy and I try not of offend anyone. Right now in ND we have so many from TX, LA, FL etc, and I really enjoy hearing about where they live and their area. Yes, the certain cultures do have certain accents that are more difficult than others but that does not make them any different. My new Dr. is from Korea and very difficult to understand, but I am getting used to it. I agree, you might discuss with your supervisor or HR. I wish you the best.

• plantmasterm
    12 years ago

This isn't a black or white issue..the English language is beautiful, i say we should all be required to use it.. I must admit before I read the whole thing I knew the person was black, how sad that is because when it comes to issues of bad language it seems to have started with young black rappers (remember ebonics)..and the horror of them thinking that was justified.

• susanjf_gw
    12 years ago

actually it is a black, white, nationality, issue since from the day you're born that's the accent or word usage you hear. it took me ages before i said wAsh, instead of my mother's wOrsh...(kansas born and raised)

no matter what education you aquire, even if you're taught a foreign language, it's usually with your current accent. my dd speaks fluent spanish, but until she spent time in a latin country, she never quite had the accent.

you never realize what "ax/ask" is, until someone points out the difference...

i do agree, IF this is causing customer difficulity, then i would approach hr...if it's YOUR problem, let it go...

• caroline1947
    12 years ago

Dont call me a racist,,,I am white and married to a black man.He does not say "ax" but he says "cent" without an s and uses a LOT of terms that I hear used by Afro Americans.One that bugs me is bedroom being pronounced beTroom. I do correct my hubby and he too is intelligent.Its a learned habit,I'm afraid,and I am one of those people who notices bad grammar no matter who or what color the speaker is.But I have things about myself that bug people too,so it's really not a big issue.BUT when people work at a job that deals with public speaking I feel its important to use correct grammar.But thats just me.

• jennmonkey
    12 years ago

My opinion is that if you aren't her superior, it isn't your business. Yes, it may be annoying to you, but I highly doubt someone will not understand what she is trying to say.

Nobody likes grammar/spelling police, especially if it's someone you don't know. It might be different if it's your SO, child, good friend, etc, but a virtual stranger correcting you will offend most people.

Sometimes people just grow up hearing/saying things a certain way and education has nothing to do with it. I'm sure this woman has heard people say "ask" in her lifetime and continues to say it how she wants to. While it can be irritating to some people, using correct grammar and spelling and pronunciation is not a law. If her customers complain then her boss can address it, but I have a feeling most people have more to worry about than how the person on the phone pronounces the word ask.

I have known two people in my life who said "li-berry" instead of "library". I joked with them both about it, because I was close to both of them. They KNEW other people said libRary (and that was the correct way of saying it), but they wanted to pronounce it how they wanted to, so that's that.

• cynic
    12 years ago

I'm not clear on whether she's speaking properly otherwise but using "ax" when on the phone, or if she always speaks this way. If the former, I'd simply ask why the change-up. If the latter then none of your business except to perhaps suggest to your supervisor that you don't think it's good for the company. I don't know of any companies that have a grammar policy other than litigious or words that could get a fine or something, such as in broadcasting.

As Joyful indicated, if they hired her speaking this way, they know what they get and it could very well be they could face a discrimination suit to do anything about it, sad as that is.

And BTW, it *was* an important piece of information to say she was black. It obviously would affect the litigation potential.

FWIW, I've never heard an Asian or Latino use "ax" or "whodababydaddyis". Only black and sometimes a white person trying to either poke fun or sometimes often trying to be someone they're not.

And JM2âW but I think much of this is attributable to trash TV, like Springer, "reality" shows (talk about an abuse of language to call most of those things "reality"...) and the like.

• Rudebekia
    12 years ago

Some things bother me and some things don't I guess. I'm a university English teacher and "aks" bothers me; I would correct a student if he/she used it because it sounds (frankly) uneducated and in today's market students need to speak well to have a step up. I would be amiss, as a teacher, not to correct them. On the other hand as a midwesterner, even an educated one, I use the phrase linda in Iowa dislikes--"where's it at?"--and end sentences with "with" ("Are you going with?") in colloquial conversation all the time. . .

• lindac
    12 years ago

You are training her. Shouldn't part of the training in phone work be to how best to relate to a customer?
    I have done more than a little "phone work" and in our training we were always told to have our speech reflect no color.....which was a PC way of saying no Ebonics.
    By the way, Marie, what you heard as "stoop" was really stoep a Dutch word adopted by South Africans meaning a small front porch.....not incorrect English just a word that is used in some locals, as some areas call a bag a sack or call soda, pop.

• bee0hio
    12 years ago

Interesting discussions & perspectives.
    Gosh, I don't see how pronouncing
    car :: caw
    -or-
    you all :: y'all
    is just charming regional "accents"
    while
    ask :: ax
    is poor grammar (as opposed to accent).
    Pronunciation can be a regional thing; grammar is not. I think what the OP was describing was examples of pronunciation variances. Would you "correct" a person who uses y'all or caw?

I think there is a risk of your "correcting" her would be viewed as racist.
    And if you feel it must or should be addressed, you need to run this by HR. I seriously doubt they will find your concerns have merit. I'm very interested in what they say.

• Lindsey_CA
    12 years ago

Although pronouncing the word ask as axe is done mainly by blacks, is it really any different than someone pronouncing Feb-roo-airy (February) as Feb-ee-airy? It is not the correct pronunciation, no matter the race of the person speaking.

I think the larger issue is the concern that this woman will be answering questions from people who are dealing with medical emergencies. You absolutely don't want anyone misunderstanding her information/instructions during a medical emergency, especially if a misunderstanding could result in someone dying or being harmed in any way by the miscommunication.

Another thing to consider -- calls to 911 are recorded. The OP didn't say whether this situation is about someone who will be answering 911 calls, or if the woman will be working at some other type of call center. IF the calls are recorded, it certainly wouldn't be odd if the woman's superiors listened to the recordings of her calls during her training period, as well as a period of time shortly thereafter. If the callers express any difficulty in understanding what she is saying (or what she is asking), then management can, and should, deal with it.

• summershine1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. My boss would like me to correct her when she says this. I love the suggestion to get it in writing, so I have sent an email confirming what is being asked of me to my boss.
    Thanks Gardenspice for the link, it was perfect for this situation.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

There is a difference in colloquialisms as stoop which we used and is not a mistake. We used it to mean a step where sometimes we sat on the porch. AX drives me nuts. It's mostly used by blacks and it sounds very uneducated. It sounds like street talk, and I think the person you are describing should be told not to use it. If I hear it said , my opinion of the person's IQ drops 30 points. It's not the same as y'all which I have never heard personally and never used but realize it is in the south. >>My funny colloquialism is when I used to call my kids and say come here once. It was joked about, but it's a literal translation of the German which was spoken in my grandparents house. My Grandmother used to say outen the lights..also a translation but not said any more.

• gardenspice
    12 years ago

Summershine - You are very welcome. Please let us know how it goes.

• ruthieg__tx
    12 years ago

I am still laughing at Monica's comment....

A lot of people up north consider a deep south accent as mangling the English language, and almost unintelligible.

because most southerners think the same thing about "northern" accents....

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

ruthieg...you understand my point. There are regional and ethnic differences in this country as to "correct" pronunciation.

Now, I gotta go down to the crick and see if there are any frogs swimming in it.

• ruthieg__tx
    12 years ago

No I don't understand your comment ...and I don't understand your point....I think the same situation applies no matter where you are from and I found your comment disrespectful to the many many southern girls ( and men) on this board. I have lived in many different sections of this country and never found any of the local ethnic or regional that were offensive....

I came back to apologize for my statement because I was just being snarky at your comment and actually have learned to appreciate all the different "regional and ethnic" differences in this country and certainly wouldn't call them mangled and unintelligible.

• petaloid
    12 years ago

Although I love hearing regional word usage and pronunciation, "standard English" is considered appropriate in business situations.

My understanding is that "ax" and "five cent" are part of southern dialect in some areas, and originate in the olden days with early settlers from southern England, Scotland and Ireland.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

I've never heard "ax" spoken for "ask". That would irritate me to no end; I would equate it with nails on a blackboard.

I'm afraid we're going to run into a lot of "ur, ttyl," and a myriad of texting shortforms. They absolutely have no place in a business world. Proper pronunciation and spelling have to be adhered to, and upheld.

• amyfiddler
    12 years ago

Has anyone ever* heard a white person say axe for ask?

• blubird
    12 years ago

Amy,

Yes, I have....my former Italian American (born in NY) neighbors.

Helene

• petaloid
    12 years ago

Amy, I have heard people from Mississippi say it that way who were "white."

• chisue
    12 years ago

amyfiddler -- Yes, you will hear white kids who think it is 'cool' to talk like a different race. They also mimic the gangbangers' baggy drawers and baseball caps worn sideways. They DO these things, but that doesn't make it smart! LOL They are also just KIDS.

My mother would sometimes deliberately say "ain't" to be funny. "It don' make me no nevermind," was another of her quips. She would never use this language in business!

As it happens, DH and I are watching a TV series we didn't see when it ran on HBO. It's "The Wire". I'm up to *here* with "ax"!

• joyfulguy
    12 years ago

I've been known to use, "ain't" ... and even "figger".

Gues I'd better behave myself.

ole joyful