SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jhayes1222

New construction home, dirt yard. Need opinions.

jhayes1222
9 years ago

So, I live in upstate NY and my home was completed Oct. 2014. When the builder graded the yard (0.3acre), he basically rockhounded it and put some seed down...not sure what kind of seed. Then he put a sparse layer of hay over the front lawn. By the time snow fell, I had a green tint to my yard, but very sparse...like a thinning head of hair. Fast forward past this winter, the soil is completely compacted and the grass is in little patches, still very sparse. I basically have a dirt lawn still, and a lot of the rocks have come to the surface. Neighboring yards that were done a month or so before mine seem to be doing well.

I've been doing some research to figure out my best method to get a yard growing and I've drawn some conclusions as far as doing prep work to loosen, re-seed and fertilize: I raked some sections of it with a landscape rake, but the dirt is too hard to loosen with a rake; I thought about tilling it, but too much labor and I don't want to go too deep; I thought about renting a power rake, but that doesn't really do anything about all the rocks that are coming to the surface, and I'm not convinced it will loosen the dirt enough for seeding; I've asked the builder to go back over my yard with the rockhound at a cost (still waiting on how much $$), and I think this is my best option. Or renting a skid steer and rockhound and doing it myself.

I'm presuming the rockhound will get the dirt churned up enough for seeding, and get rid of a lot more of the pesky rocks. Once that's done, I plan to spread scott's starter fertilizer and rake that in to the loose dirt. Then seed with Scott's sun and shade which I have already purchased, then water the lawn with about an inch of water, probably twice a day. I wanted to put some mulch/ fabric/ hay/ whatever down, but it's way too costly to do my hole yard, and I probably only really need it on the front yard because of runoff.

I also looked into hydroseed, but I received an estimate of $4500 to prep and spray my lawn—so I passed on that.

I'm curious as to some of your opinions whether i'm going about this the right way. I understand waiting till August to seed would be ideal, but I'm far too impatient and I have a dog and child that want to use the yard this year.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living