SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bengz6westmd

HP box can't wake from sleep or turn on from off initially

bengz6westmd
9 years ago

First post -- I have a 2009 HP Pavilion Elite w/Windows7. Good box & OS, never a problem until now. Started about a month ago w/the box not waking up from "sleep" -- no response (power light turned from amber to blue as usual but nothing else would happen). Had to turn it off, but then won't come back on! After 10-15 minutes of repeated power-on button presses, it starts back up. Removing/reinserting the power cord during trys doesn't help. Occasionally it starts right up from sleep, but usually has this problem. Windows7 is up-to-date and no viruses or malware detected. HP or Microsoft diagnostics show no issues.

I opened the box to clean out dust -- also took off the CPU heatsink (really dusty) & cleaned it too. Fans rotate easily & aren't an issue.

So now I have "sleep mode" turned off, but occasionally the box has to be turned off & afraid it won't come back on. I've seen some of the HP videos & will try shorting the two start-up pegs on the MBoard, but the power-switch was hardly ever used & I seriously doubt that's the problem -- it wouldn't have anything to do w/the sleep-wakeup problem. Any suggestions?

Comments (18)