SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Would like to hear from honed granite owners, pls

lisa_a
9 years ago

Long post, sorry, but I hope you stick with me to the end.

Our remodel starts in just over 2 weeks - woo hoo! It's been in the works for a very long time; been planning and dreaming of it for more than 7 yrs. And yet here I am, at nearly d-day (demolition day), revisiting our finish choice for the Steel Gray perimeter and Bianco Romano island. Both were to be leathered (we're not shiny surface people).

The Steel Gray already has a leathered finish. It's lovely, really, it is, but my first love is a honed finish. I fell hard the first time I saw a honed granite counter and I can't stop myself from caressing every honed counter or slab I see.

But I thought, well, this slab came leathered so there's no extra cost, which is a plus, and leathered surfaces are reportedly more durable and lower maintenance than honed surfaces (I've read all the cautionary tales). It's a lightly textured surface, which is also a plus. I thought my mind was made up. I do like it a lot, really, I do. I could be happy with it.

But then I saw krogervt's kitchen reveal with her stunning, honed Silver Pearl counters (Silver Pearl aka Steel Gray). Sigh. And then she told me how happy she is with her counters and how well they wear. She has no regrets.

So I start thinking that maybe we should go with our first love, too.

My fabricator gave me a sample of the stone honed and sealed. So far, so good but that's not surprising since it's a very dense stone (.1-.15% water absorption rate).

I've dragged plates and pans over it to see if it shows rub marks. I've rubbed it and pressed my hands on it, etc to see if it shows fingerprints. If they're there, the subtle pattern of the stone makes them impossible to see.

The plates left no marks. The pan did but only because it's an old aluminum pan with a very rough bottom; it left a fine line of aluminum across the stone. I gave it a good scrub and most of it came out. Add in the fact that I will be getting new pans because we're getting an induction cook top and it's unlikely I'll have that issue after the remodel. I won't want rough-bottomed pans because I don't want my induction cook top scratched either.

btw, the same pan also left a metal streak on the leathered sample.

I've tested a polished sample of Bianco Romano, unsealed, with lemon juice, vinegar, ketchup, red wine, etc. and it sailed through the tests. I haven't had a chance to test a honed or leathered sample of it. BR has a slightly higher water absorption rate (.2 - .4%) so it's not as bullet proof as Steel Gray but it's heads and tails better than a sample of unsealed Kashmir White that I tested (sucked up everything I put on it, developing big, dark stains in no time).

Initially, we were told that the BR would leather up with an even smoother texture than the leathered Steel Gray but on Thursday, I learned that might not be the case. It might end up with more texture, which I would not like. It's a mental block: I expect my kitchen counters to be MOL smooth.

Are you still reading? I hope so!

If you have honed counters, please tell me your experience with them, how long you've had them and what stone you chose. I'd also *love* to see photos!

Our nearly 21 yr old laminate counters are stained and scratched - patinated laminate, ha! - and we never give it a second thought. It's a work surface, it's meant to be used, not babied. As I told DH, "nothing's perfect." (to which he replied, "I am." "But you're not a thing," I said. He answered, "I'm Thing One!" I have a silly DH.)

If it matters, I also strongly considered marble. I love the stuff. But in the end, we opted not to go that route. I just didn't think that our '90s era, transitional home could pull off patinated marble counters.

Comments (28)