SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
inamemytrees

Tree suggestions for a fence line

9 years ago

Hey everyone. I'm getting married next week, and we just bought a house together. The property is two full acres in zone 7, an hour and a half northeast of Phoenix. We're at roughly 4600 ft in elevation with highs at 100 F in the summer with heavy monsoons and winter time gets down to 5 or 10 degrees with less than 6 inches of snow at a time. The wind comes from the southwest and can get up to 40Mph.

There are absolutely no features to the property other than the house. It's just flat land that is fully exposed to all the neighbors, so I'd like to plant some trees all along the fence line. So far I've planted 2 blue point junipers that seem to be quite happy and doing well. I like these a lot but Mr Ken Adrian on here states quite often that you want variety to avoid tree death en masse should something happen. I have heavy clay soil, but it can be easily dug out and ammended with mulch.

So there's the background, and here's what I'd like.

-first and foremost, we are just getting married and bought a house, so if we can keep the cost down that would be great. The junipers were 27 dollars at Lowes, not too bad but that adds up quickly

-second we'd like the privacy of evergreens for the majority, but I was thinking a maple of some kind at each corner would be pretty. Thoughts?

-third these trees need to be wind resistant, heat tolerant, and ignore the cold

-fourth I'm sorta impatient, so if they could have a foot a year or better, that would be cool

Those are pretty much the only preferences. I'm open to different colors of greens, blues, silvers. Also if you could make a suggestion of an online nursery that is willing to ship to arizona? The places I've seen all seem say no shipping to arizona.

Thank you for the time and suggestions

Tom

Comments (8)