SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
douvierlaura

What is my role as a Step mother.

douvierlaura
9 years ago

First a little back ground.... I love my 4 step children (16, 15, 13, 11) with all my heart. I also feel I have a good friendship with my husbands ex-wife. My husband and I have a 5 year old together and my husband works very hard... 70 per week. :O( His exwife has sole physical custoday; we get the kids everyother weekend. (The 16 year old has a job so we dont see much of her anymore).

I try to be as supportive as I can, I help with the running around. I plan and cook meals, laundry and cleaning. They truly are good kids. Although they are becoming teenagers and as expected try to push buttons and get away with stuff at our house because they feel when they come over everyother weekend its a free for all and should be entertainined all the time. I have learned my boundries and for the most part step back and allow mom and dad to handle discipline and/or other child issues. However, I handle our finances and pay the child support to mom and she sends all medical bills to me as I carry the insurance on our family and my step children.

Like i said my husband works long hours, so I try hard to be supportive and help with the kids. The issue we have is that mom has sole physical custody and allows the kids to participate in every activitiy they want to be in (sports, parties, school functions etc.) She also runs crazy all week long chasing after the kids because of this. I think its wonderful that she is willing to do this. My husband isnt quit as interested in attending sport functions all week long for his 4 kids (not even for our own child); (he's up at 3am and doesnt get home until 6:00pm M-F).

Anyway "mom" is willing to allow the kids to be in all these activities then is expecting that my husband run crazy on his weeks he has visitation. He is so exhausted from the week, he does what he can. So thats where I come in, I do as much as I can! and when I say "can", I mean.. as much as I feel like doing. I dont care to be running all weekend long either.

Now "mom" is "expecting" me to do the running like she does because my husband can't or won't. So will make comments like "welcome to my world". The problem I have with this is.... her children are NOT my world. I love them and they are apart of my world and I will be there for them, but I refuse to be TOLD that I HAVE to run around. My husband completely agrees with me, but wont put his foot down with her.

I just dont want to be an unsupportive wife, I feel bad that he works so hard. But really, she is the one that has the kids involved in everything! Shouldn't she understand that my husband and I aren't willing to run crazy like she does. She asked why my husband works to so much... we told her, it was because we need to pay her child support. LOL.

Should I just deal with it and stop being a cry baby?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm