SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qwertyem

Ikea Kitchen Layout Review

qwertyem
9 years ago

Hi,

I'm trying to get to the end stage of a layout for my new kitchen, but am still worried about how tight my work triangle is going to be. Thought maybe I could get some feedback. I've been pretty frustrated with hiring an online designer for an ikea kitchen only to find they really don't give much feedback, only plop things in where you tell them to (and in one case, where I told them NOT to....they had the dishwasher opening into the entryway from the dining room initially.) I basically spent hours in the horrendous ikea software trying to jigsaw puzzle this kitchen together with minimal wasted space as fillers.

This is a narrow galley kitchen, original builders grade cabinets from 1977. The length is 11.5 ft by 8 ft wide. We enter from the small dining room and there is a door leading outside on the opposite end of the kitchen. There is a small window currently where the sink is. The wall that shows the separate oven and fridge is shared with our living room. Currently, we have a new slide in range with a microhood. where we are indicating a new cooktop and currently the fridge is at the entry to the kitchen opposite the sink. The place we are intending to move the fridge is currently a large pantry closet. We have decided to sacrifice the pantry closet (which is always unorganized and miserable to find anything) so that we can take down a partial wall towards the living room in hopes of opening up the tunnel-like kitchen a bit and adding a 2 level counter on that side.

My worries are: is it okay to have the fridge across from the cooktop? We separated the oven so that it didn't open across from the fridge, but then the oven opens across from the sink. I could just keep the slide in range where the cooktop is and leave the area designated as oven for cabinet space. We are fairly limited in that we need to stay within the footprint of the current kitchen and for budget sake trying to keep plumbing and electrical from moving. Sorry to drone on so long. I would love some feedback! Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional