SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellajourney

Final (!?) Kitchen Layout for Review - what do you think?

bellajourney
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are about to purchase our Ikea kitchen - and want to get our order in before their sale ends this Saturday. (Yikes!!)

I posted this in the IkeaFans site too, but would love to get as many opinions as possible before we hand over our credit card.

Here are (I hope) the mockups first, and then a bunch of questions and explanations:

1) Door style - I've got my heart set on a white Shaker style kitchen. We did the Ikea mockup with Adel White (the color pics were done in another program - so, ignore the door style in that one). Adel's wide frame has grown on me - But - not in the 12" door (I like the 15 and 18" wide doors best).

What are your thoughts on Adel in a 12"? Am I being silly? My DH suggested maybe doing one 24" door on the two 24" upper cabs flanking the stove area - but I think that would be too big. ? Another option we can investigate is buying a paint grade Shaker door with a thinner frame and painting it ourselves - but we still need to price it out (and it will require a ton of work).

2) Things not lining up - The upper cabinet on the south wall above the dishwasher does not line up exactly with where the base cabinet ends. We would need a 33" wide upper to make it work, but Ikea doesn't sell one. Is there a way to turn a 36" into a 33"? I guess we would need custom doors too. Is it worth the trouble, or is it not terribly strange to have the upper end 3 inches earlier (the backsplash will look off though, no)? We could make the base cabinet 15" instead of 18", but DH doesn't want to do that (we want to make the top drawer the silverware drawer and maximize storage).

3) Single Domsjo sink next to dishwasher - bad idea? The Ikea salesperson said we would need to put a special panel between the sink and dishwasher - is that true?

4) And another things not lining up question - The kitchen was originally a U - with a very tight breakfast nook and no cabinets on the fridge wall. We turned the U into an L and moved the fridge to its own wall. While it makes the working kitchen more narrow - we feel that the extra storage is worth the sacrifice. ? I wish that the fridge cabinetry and the cabinets across from it along the sink wall would end at the same place - but they don't. The fridge cabs extend further. Big deal? Don't worry about it?

Also, FYI , some details are missing from the Ikea planner version:

* The 15" base cab to the right of the sink will have a small drawer on top, and the bottom will be a pullout for garbage.

* The 12" base cab to the left of the stove will also have a small drawer on top, the bottom will be used to store cookie sheet type things - I hope this can be done!

* The fridge wall will be very customized - we couldn't get it to look right in the Ikea planner, but hopefully the other pic makes sense (ignore the mismatched little countertop - it will match whatever countertop we end up going with). We'll need to build out the wall to the left of the fridge a bit - put a 15" wide, 12" deep cab to the left of the fridge, uppers above, and then 15" wide, 24" deep cabs to the right - with pull outs in the cabs so they are more accessible. Then, I need to find a neat little hutch somewhere to put next to the fridge area which will tie into the breakfast nook.

Thank you so much for any and all help!! :)

Comments (15)