SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

Do I paint my ceilings? If so can they match the crown?

akl_vdb
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

While I really like my dark grey blue bedroom walls it's proving difficult to find a nice comforter I like and the headboard doesn't stand out as much as I want. So we're painting it the same colour as the rest of the house, revere pewter before my husband has to put yet another duvet cover back in the original packaging to return it!

We are also getting crown molding in this room that is BM dove white (or white dove, I can never remember!). Our ceiling is just ceiling white.

Do we paint the ceiling? It would be a different sheen. It would be white dove. Or do we leave it? The rest of the house the ceilings will not be painted.

Thanks for your valuable feedback!

Comments (46)

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Don't paint yet. Find the bedding first. A color other than Revere Pewter might be nice. I'd leave the ceiling as it is.

akl_vdb thanked emmarene9
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I'm going super neutral whatever colour I pick, and the way I pick bedding I might never find "the one"! Even pictures and art I have a hard time with the darker blue grey. It's just not cutting it. Bit thanks to all you guys all my friends think I'm a super designer ;)

• Related Discussions

Do my floors have to match my ceiling?

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks so much! The PO originally had the beams stained a dark forest green and we could either sand and refinish all 12 - 20' long beams or paint them. So we went with white and really like the result. Thanks for your opinions, I feel more confident about continuing the brazilian cherry now. Love GW!
    ...See More

Crown Molding Doesn't Match Cabinets - what do i do?

Q

Comments (4)
    Even computer controlled batch mixing of paint can differ subtly from one batch to the next. The easy solution is to take one of your doors to a local reputable paint store and have them color match it. Have them choose "textured" rather than smooth for the match as it takes more than a single measurement and then averages them. It's more accurate than a single scan. Then have a painter paint the molding. On the cabinet company's dime.
    ...See More

Do I need to paint my kitchen cabinets to match molding?

Q

Comments (5)
    Whenever I encounter this situation, the most important think to keep in mind is that paint looks different in any area of your room depending on the light. So, the good news is, it doesn't have to be a 100% perfect match. Take the door in and first match the sheen, then bring some samples back into your kitchen so you can view it in the true light. Good luck picking the best one!
    ...See More

Should crown moulding match the ceiling? Vice versa?

Q

Comments (11)
    I’ve heard that you could/should cut the trim color by half or 80/20 or something too. Is that a good idea Not a good idea. It's a terrible idea. I don't think the people who suggest this have actually done it. Or else they haven't seen it done with many colors. Alabaster "cut by 50%" is a weird greenish-yellow dead gray white. I don't know how SW "cut" the formula. I didn't look. And who knows how the staff at your SW would decide what "50%" means. Most of the colors we choose for interior use are near neutrals, muted, chromatic grays and whites. The amounts of colorants are small to begin with - there's nothing to "cut". It's not mathematically possible in some cases and in every case it's up to the person mixing the paint to decide how to "cut" the formula. The other completely terrible horrible idea is to get a gallon of white and "add it" to your wall color. That has inconsistent results as well. Most of the time you can't even tell white was added so you end up with 2 gallons of a color that you were trying to change instead of just one. It's a mess. In addition, if you do add white and use it, you HAVE to save a quantity of the mix for touch ups because you'll never mix that color again. Ceiling can be the same color as the walls or a different color of white. I'd suggest a SW match to PPG's Delicate white to go with Alabaster on the crown.
    ...See More
  • User
    9 years ago

Have you considered painting the ceilings dark blue? With white dove walls and crown....

• User
    9 years ago

• User
    9 years ago

akl_vdb thanked User
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's an interesting look I hadn't thought of. Thank you.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It is actually BM White Dove. It's what I've got on all of my trim, per the painter's suggestion. It's a very nice, soft white. I'd leave the ceiling for now. Paint the trim. And I agree with emmarene: find the duvet cover you love, then set about picking a great paint color for the wall. I think Revere Pewter is very cold and cement like. Your room, the headboard, curtains…I think are asking for warmth.

What if you went lighter on the walls, then a couple of shades darker on the ceiling?

Walls: BM Cream Fleece

Trim: BM White Dove

Ceiling: BM Lenox Tan

akl_vdb thanked tibbrix
  • tibbrix
    9 years ago

Btw, I have the Lenox Tan with the Whit Dove trim in my LR, and they are GORGEOUS together.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It'd be kind of like this:

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know about your lennox tan tib! Should I get a hubbingtin forge light for my bedroom too ;) ? Just kidding! I do love lennox tan in your space. The rest if the house is RP ( and ashley grey) and it's actually quite warm in my space. I'm heading down to the paint place tomorrow to order my husband's Baldwin hardware so I'll get a sample of Lennox tan. I think that would look good with my drapes actually.

Oh! With the lennox tan, will the headboard blend in? I know a few threads ago while looking for bedding we talked about not getting a dijony yellow/gold as it's really warm and the headboard would just be.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes! Get the Hubbardton Forge Light while you're out tomorrow! Lol.

Lenox Tan would go on the ceiling; Cream Fleece on the walls.

The glow from lamps on the Lenox Tan ceiling in the evenings would be really stunning, elegant, romantic.. Headboard would be great against the Cream Fleece, I think, because reclaimed wood is more about the textures in it along with the color. I think that color combo would give your room a very rustic, cozy feel and look. I really think it would be gorgeous.

akl_vdb thanked tibbrix
  • emmarene9
    9 years ago

You mentioned your headboard. I just think it would be better with a color that was not gray behind it. Any neutral beige or off white would be better. Although it is a different headboard look how it stands out in the mock up Trib made for you.

akl_vdb thanked emmarene9
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, so I'll start with cream fleece. I love how you can make our room sound so fancy tibbrix. That's what we're kind of going for around here, textures and rustic and stuff. You are much more articulate than I!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh wow. If that's what you're going for, I think that color combo will do it. and the other nice thing about the Fleece and the Lenox Tan is that they are very neutral colors, so just about any duvet you get for your room will look great. It'll be like an elegant cabin. Love the idea to put crown moulding up. That finishes a room, IMO, and will completely transform the look of your room.

That color combo, as you know, is similar to what I now have in my LR (only I've got the Lenox Tan on the walls and the pine ceiling, as you know), so yours would be a bump lighter, but the effect is really amazing. I'm sure the only reason i didn't go insane with "cabin fever" this winter is because I love being in that LR since I painted the White Sand over with the Lenox Tan and stripped my FP (i.e.: your headboard). So the rustic bit of wood with the warm rustic tans…fab-yoo.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks tibbrix! I am limited to duvets/comforters based on my drapes. I can't really go patterned but I might want to incorporate a teal or something, pull a colour out of the drapes. As I'm not having any luck finding a nice lineny one that isn't 300 dollars. I'm fickle too!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes, linen duvet cover would look great with that headboard, IMO. You know, they are SO easy to make. Buy two linen sheets, sew them together inside out on three sides and then inward a bit on the fourth side, sew some snaps on the open end…voila.

I think that, with your curtains, that bench at the end of your bed, the headboard, and the color scheme above, a chocolate brown duvet would be beautiful and add to that rustic feel and look in the room. Pair it with crisp white sheets and cases/shams…beautiful.

akl_vdb thanked tibbrix
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks tibbrix! Our bench will change. I'm on the hunt for a trunk of some kind. I would almost rather not have anything there but the dog and the kid need the extra step it provides!

For the past 10 years we were all about brown, beige and sage. I'm trying to liven it up a bit!

And I think I hate duvet covers with the fire of 1000 suns. Our duvet is flat on one side and will not puff up anymore, and I'm sick of having to make it look just so, as it never does. So maybe a comforter. Maybe if this was 1/2 pricepottery barn bedding

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

eBay has that brown silk comforter in brownstone for $250

akl_vdb thanked tibbrix
  • Amber
    9 years ago
    So when I commented earlier your picture didn't load! I love the Houzz app..
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tibbrix, even that, unfortunately is mucho $$ considering our poor Canadian dollar is so, so low. I want a big comforter too, like 114 x 98 or something. That matches my drapes. That isn't too heavy. That's warm. No wonder I've had no luck.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My window faces East. Does this change anything? We get crazy morning sun.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Not IMO, since bedrooms are used primarily after dark.

akl_vdb thanked tibbrix
  • tibbrix
    9 years ago

Btw, I think the Cream Fleece would be very compatible with bright sunlight, so good in the morning. The Lenox Tan is wonderful in dim light. Best of both worlds?

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll post some pics when I pic up samples today.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Great. Btw, I like that bench. Hmmmm…..If you do end up going with the more earthy color palette of the light tan on the walls and Lenox on the ceiling, keeping it rustic, what if you painted the wood frame of the bench and the two side tables to give the room some color? That would also allow the headboard to stand out even more. Paint them in that smokey green/blue, for something.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have been on the search for new end tables with no luck so far. But I was thinking that with not blue walls I could go a bit wild in the colour if the end tables-maybe. Like the bluish. It's all working in my head but I can't make it work in the room!

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

I would keep that paint, it looks very nice. Why not do a white or cream bedspread, and get a throw and pillows?

akl_vdb thanked MtnRdRedux
  • User
    9 years ago

I would stick with the wall color too, at least until you find a comforter you like. I hear you saying you're tired of brown and beige, so why are you considering those colors again? While the current paint is the same tone as the headboard, which makes it blend a bit, adding crown will help break up the solidness. You do need something else on that wall, and because there's not much room over the headboard, I wonder if putting some rustic mirrors behind new nightstands a la Holly-Kay's might make the headboard wall all come together. I did like that idea of the floating nightstands from your other thread, and weren't there some rustic looking ones?

akl_vdb thanked User
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you nosoccermom, MtnRdRedux and may_flowers! I guess I'm considering the colours again because tibbrix made them sound sooo cozy! I did pick up a quart of cream fleece and 1st coat is drying on some board.

I have searched high and low for everything in this room, and while it seems simple to go pick up a lineny bedspread from IKEA, we have a king sized bed and the duvet covers are much smaller than our duvet. And I'd like something a touch bigger to cover the mattress fully.

I'm ready for something easier to decorate around and I'm even stumped with the furniture, as everything just looks so dark and blended with the paint and headboard.

I'm not trying to be difficult (really!) and I value each of your opinions greatly.

With the floating nightstands we have unsightly cords and plugs and phone jacks behind my end table, I want to cover that up.

Well, the BM girl really liked the cream fleece with everything, so I'll post my pics with the boards up when they are dry.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. Cream fleece is too beige. Too much like the colour we just painted over!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Bummah.

Okay, so let's recap how you say you want the room to feel and other important things:

Rustic; cozy; headboard stand out; new drapes figure prominently….so….woodsy and warm; somewhat lighter hue than the headboard and drapes so that they will be contrasted in order to stand out; not beige/different from old paint color(s);

How about:

Ceiling: Lenox Tan

Trim: BM White Dove (which would be great in this combo because it is green-based)

Wall Color: BM Tree Moss (one of BM's "Our Favorite Greens".

Here is the palette, ceiling to flow:

akl_vdb thanked tibbrix
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok tibbrix, I'm going to be a complete PITA but we had herbes de provence before the blue. We changed all the green in the house. The paint to the right in the above pic is RP. Does it look horrible? Some of the other suggestions the BM lady suggested were Pashmina, wemimiemer (however you spell that!) and silver fox. We were also looking at brozed beige before and vetoed it. Sigh. Thank you for helping the crazy lady tibbrix.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Lol. No PITA, just someone picking paint colors!

I thought you said the last color was beige! Hmmmm…..

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, so we had beige everywhere in our house, some cloverdale colour match. But our office and bedroom had green. Then in the office I did davenport tan and smokey green. The kitchen was davenport tan and beige. Our bedroom went from herbes de provence to nighttrain on the headboard wall and smokey green for the rest. I hated it and painted it all nighttrain.

So we then painted the house revere and ashley grey. I love the updated look but still warm. And the office and ds room is RP. We're all over the place! I know we love RP, we like ashley grey but it does have a touch of a mauvey look in certain light but it's brown enough to still look good with some of our drapes.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh I see.

I don't know about the Weimaraner. It's got a lot of red/pink in it. Love the Pashmina and think it would look good. BM pairs it with "Marina Gray", so maybe Pashmina on the walls and Marina Gray on the ceiling? very pretty!

Silver Fox is very purple/mauve.

Another beautiful earth color is BM Briarwood, also beautiful with the Marina Gray.

Here is the Briarwood with the Marina Gray & White Dove

And Pashmina

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How do you come up with all these ideas tibbrix? I'll take a look at briarwood and pashmina. I was also looking at abalone (just online) but prob too light. A big thank you to you tibbrix! I didn't get the hubbardtin forge light, but did spend that equivalent on door knobs for the house today (just interior!)

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I think it's kind of sad that you're painting over your pretty blue-gray. You really can't find a white/cream/tan comforter that you like? I'm sure we could all do some shopping for you! :-)

akl_vdb thanked jlc712
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the offer jlc712! I know, it is kind of sad, but I am ready! I need something more neutral and lighter. I did try a light blue and I hated it!.

• massagerocks
    9 years ago

Your blue is very pretty! I know you only were asking about painting the ceiling, but not sure RP would make a comforter choice any easier. We just painted my daughter's bedroom (formerly brown) BM Simply White. She originally wanted blue, but none of them looked good. Simply White is a warm clean fresh white that goes slightly creamy in the evening. Your headboard would really stand out and look beautiful against a white, and you could go with any color comforter.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh massagerocks, you're not making this easier! I did mention abalone upthread. Light, creamy. Might have to expand my horizens! I am sticking with affinity or candace olsen colours or I'll go nuts. And I like her palette.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

NOW you say you're sticking with Affinity or Candice Olson?? You stepped out on us to make a flooring decision??

I don't know, akl. Where is the time-out corner around this joint?

Anyway, I think you're very smart to stick with one or two categories of paint. Fewer choices made decision making a whole lot easier.

To answer your question above, I try to get an understanding of how you want to FEEL when you're in any given room. Paint is about light and feeling, IMO.

I agree w/massagerocks that white would be very good with the headboard. White and reclaimed wood is rather classic, in fact. Just not sure about the "warm and cozy" factor with white.

So, from Candice Olson, how about this combo? (and I think your drapes would look great with this). The headboard would be really beautiful against the Elephant Gray - very rustic:

Ceiling: Pale Oak

Trim: White Dove (goes very well with Pale Oak, btw)

Walls: Elephant Gray

or Portland Gray?

akl_vdb thanked tibbrix
  • akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tib, I made the paint decision on the fly in a moment of "there are too many paint colours in the world and the rest of my house is CO colours"! I was looking at the pale oak, for the walls perhaps! Portland grey looks nice and light as well. Ok, look I'm going for...rustic (without looking like a lodge), serene and put together but cozy. So if anyone wants to buy me some rough linen bedding, I'm taking up a collection:)

Thank you for your patience. This is all from a dishwasher flood 1.5 years ago. The kitchen still isn't done and the restoration company drove me insane, so talk about creep! Well if we're doing this, let's do that, oh, and this other thing should be done before that other thing or it'll be that much extra work and $ to do it later. So because if the dishwasher and a kitchen redo, it ended up to all new millwork in the house, new floors everywhere, new paint everywhere, and just growing into our house and not being constrained to conventional for our area. Because we love our area and our house, but it needed to grow with us too. We're on a journey of finding ourselves :)

I also am gutting our ensuite. The people are in the midst of designing it, so don't worry, helping me pick the same tile for our laundry room is small potatoes compared to what I'm going to be asking of you all!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, and the painters are coming in a couple weeks, so I have a bit of time to stew!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I'm reviving this a bit as I put a duvet cover on just because I bought it in Jan, too late to return and it was only $ 15, so better than nothing. But i kinda like it. So wondering if I should leave the blue up and with the frown up it will lighten up the room more ( and find different end tables). Sorry for the sideways pic! It's. 4 am or I'd take another right now!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lighter walls would look like this, which is also something I like!

http://christyreneedesigns.com/revere-pewter-room/

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations