SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbear_15

Advice/opinion regarding house placement, windows and natural light

kbear_15
9 years ago

My husband and I are building a house in Cleveland. Right now (still in proposal stage), I just realized 95% of the windows are facing north and/or south (only one window (stair case (located on right exterior wall, between study and great room) is on the east side). The front of the house is facing south - dining room is on the first level to the left of the front door; study is to the right of the front door; 2 bedrooms are upstairs; window above front door is (open) 2nd story foyer. Regarding the back of the house (don't have a picture, sorry) - the lower level has 3 windows for the family room (family room is located across the study), bay window with sliders in the middle for dinette (just to the right of the garage in the back of the house) and a window for a bedroom (located behind the garage); upstairs, there is a window above the master bath tub (master bath located above the dinette area) and 2 windows in the master bedroom (located above the great room). I like natural light - is this a problem with so many windows (great room, dinette, master bedroom) on the north side???? (Great room/dinette is where we'll be spending most of our time, and some in the master bedroom/bath); Should we try to flip-flop the house/mirror image so the garage is on the right side (rather than left) and this moves the great room/master bedroom more towards the west side of the house rather than east side (though windows are still technically facing north)? Thoughts on putting a narrow transom window in the master bedroom (for either east or west light)? Is north window in master bath enough or should put a small window on the west side? Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (48)