SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
country_girl_at_heart

New build/log home: Exterior light/doorbell placement

country_girl_at_heart
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are in the thick of a log home build, and needing to mark our exterior light placement and 2 doorbell, 2 outdoor water spigot placement this weekend.

Ive been researching lights for what seems like months, and think I have them picked out (but am open to suggestions-will attach pics).

All exterior door heights =80"

Big Garage door height=96"

Here are some of my questions along with pics/descriptions (& questions)...nothings organized in my brain--so apologies in advanced...

*Im struggling to find the larger sized lanterns in what I have in mind (black, LED, not somesort of frosted)...Ive read that the fixture's height should be 25-30% of the height of the door...most of what Im finding is 12" which seems too small?

*Posting pics of all sides of the house w/ blue tape for marks...I know there's measurement recommendations for heights of lights...but in just eyeballing it for what looks good, at this point too high, too low, wrong place...am open to feedback. I also know I need to decide on fixtures to measure-but we're a bit limited on where placement can occur/ go up or down due to the logs themselves. Again, we marked each potential placement with blue tape and open to suggestions.

*Not wanting to light up the neighborhood...but do want lighting outside for security purposes...we were broken into while asleep when I was in highschool..and that changed everything for me...my husband has a hard time understanding that sense/fear that someone could actually brake in...Im all for doing what we can to minimize risks.

-Any recommendations for what lumens/2700k?? Wanting LED lights for outside dusk to dawn... not too super bright for our neighbors, but bright enough to help not have too many shadows around doors/windows?

-We also have two very large egress windows under the deck. Of course I mentioned lighting those up...lol...husband disagreed.

-Seems like that might be a point of entry for someone not wanting to be seen?

-Any suggestions for making that area unwelcome? (maybe I'll transplant some nettles under the deck..haha)

I'll post pics and my rough draft of lighting plan for OS...appreciate any suggestions/constructive criticism of
anything at all...really open to help :)

West side: We plan use 4 of the the same style Coach wall mount: on 3 way switch & dusk to dawn timer, located to the L & R of garage; as well, to the L & R wide of the prow (facing W). 1 up/down sconce over the garage door; and two up/down sconces part way up the prow on the logs (to the L/R of the vertical logs). The sconces will all be on a 3 way as well & on dusk to dawn timer. 1 Can light each above far left and far right sliding glass doors (master bedroom and guest room).

Id wanted the outdoor sconces on a 3 way switch, and honeywell dawn to dusk timer, and a dimmer...but found out thats not possible without going super high tech and 'smart home'ish-which we're trying to avoid. (any thoughts? Id love to be able to dime thes up/down sconces).

So, I settled for 3 way dusk to dawn which we'll program for a shorter time ...prob shut off at 10p, and no dimmer (I hope its not too bright out there!).

Left to right: 1 can in soffet over glass door (master bedroom), 2 coach lights to far L/R of prow, 2 up/down sconces on each side of prow (narrow), 1 can above far right glass door (guest bedroom), 2 coach lights: L/R side of garage, 1 up/down sconce above garage door.

(coach lights L/R of garage door, 1 sconce above garage door, far left lower mark is for water spigot, mark between coach and spigot mark is for code box for garage door opener)? recommended height?

-Water spigot marked to L of garage (lower mark)-is there a standard height? We just picked what seemed good.

can see the mark on the prow for the up/down sconce, and over the garage for up/down sconce....as well, can see the mark in between (outer edge of prow) for coach light, as well as coach light mark on R of garage (cant see the one on the left of garage b/c trucks in the way).

_________

South side (faces the road) :

A smaller dual-flood light with motion sensor on S side of house, currently planned to go on 1st log below the soffett- a path will run along this side to the East side where the porch/'front' door is located. (Its one of those houses where the front door feels like its in the 'back'; the prow faces West and toward the water, the front door faces East and toward our neighbors. The main driveway leads up to the garage on the West side.

1 dual floodlight with motion sensor, see mark on first log down above window. Placement? will shine on path along house to get from driveway to the 'front' door (around and to the left). Placement?

______

North side:

We'll put one up/down sconce centered on the N side of the house (this side faces some woods), on a dusk to dawn sensor on the same 3 way with previously mentioned Coach lights (due to this dusk to dawn timer will actually go on/off with the sun--the other mentioned 'sconce lights' will be on a manually set timer-not on as long).

We'd planned for a dual flood light with motion sensor up in far west corner of the North facing side... targeting the stairs/side of house--but in trying to place it tonight...we decided we didnt need it. (I still think we do--it was a moment of weakness that I agreed with my husband on that..I like the idea of motion light over the stairs. TBD.

Do you think I need a dual floodlight sensor on the upper NW part of the North side of the house, pointing over the stairs (I think so, my husband doesnt..he said there are other options to light up the stairs)? It is quite close to our bedroom window...but Im unsure if I should let go of wanting a sensor light there for safety....or push to still have it.

up/down sconce centered (can see it just below the upper scaffolding.) This is where we'd planned to put dual floodlight with motion sensor on right side of house..above the last stacked log, pointed toward both path on side of house, and stairs. Im thinking we need it, my husband says we dont and that its ugly (it a smaller light-but I agree...its not great looking). Is there another way to light up the stairs on a sensor?

different angle of N facing side....the up/down sconce will be on a dusk to dawn timer....and Im thinking we'll need a motion sensor for the stairs (* this side of the house is quite dark)

________

East side: (the front--but faces what feels like the 'back'...1 barn light over the man door/garage door; in soffet: 1 can light over laundry rm window, and 1 can lt over master bathroom window. Porch: 2 cans in soffet, 1 coach light to side of 'front' door, doorbell under.

left to right: garage man door with barn light (marked in blue tape); laundry window (can in soffet above window), 'front' porch with 2 cans, front door-Coach light to right of door, door bell marked-is it in a good place? Far right: coach light in soffit over master bathroom window.

Garage: barn light above door..whats optimal height of barn light over garage man door? placement? (can sort of see the blue tape above the door3 or 4 logs up from door)

Front door-placement of door bell under coach light (coach light surface has already been smoothed out by GC with his chainsaw...you can kind of see it in this pic)? For doorbell..we guessed on height (marked with blue tape)...and centered under the light above it??

Comments (22)