SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
to_eastender

Toronto, ON: Zoning Regs. specifics, setbacks/height/roof deck/windows

to_eastender
9 years ago

Hello: Any body here have experience/knowledge of City of Toronto (Ontario, Canada) Zoning regulations? I have a number of, likely very common, questions regarding specifics of the R2 (detached residential) Zoning. These rules dictate the overall shape/size of the project so, ignoring neighbour relations, project costs, and Committee of Adjustments difficulties etc. I’m wondering if any of this is allowed by existing rules? I know the City Planning Dept. is very helpful but I’m at the research stage and they probably won’t appreciate me sitting down with them for a lengthy chit-chat.

If you know the answer to only one or two of these questions, please indicate which question you are responding to, e.g. a), f), h) etc. just to help keep it organized. Thank you.

a) Existing rectangular house is RIGHT on the property line along ONE side of the 14’ x 41’ “footprint. Max. structure length allowed is 17m, thus 55’. Ignoring lot density/coverage etc. could an addition just continue along the property line an additional 14’ to hit that 55’. Or since this is new construction would the “new” portion have to jog in slightly to meet current setback requirements (0.45m for “no openings” and 0.9 for those “with openings”)?

b) Existing house is approx. 0.72m (2’ - 4”) from OTHER side property line which does not meet the current 0.9m setback requirements. This wall has an existing small window in it. Can this window be enlarged and/or moved within that wall and be “grandfathered” as it is an original 100+ years existing opening?

c) No new windows are allowed in this side wall, e) above, due to setback requirements not being met. However, if you create a “notch”, by means of an alcove, in the side wall windows can be placed perpendicular to the sidewall since they are no longer contained within the wall along the property line. Also, presumably allowed within the portion of alcove which is now MORE than the 0.9 m required away from the property line?

d) Do bumpouts/overhangs count towards the Gross Floor Area calculations when it comes to allowed lot coverage? For example, a side bumpout to allow more light, or a rear second floor overhang to provide shelter to deck space below.

e) Continuing with d) above, are the bumpouts/overhangs allowed to be closer than the side setback requirements?

f) Permitted front setback is the average of the neighbours on either side. The three houses, us and the two neighbours, are essentially all aligned if considering the front walls themselves. However, our front porch was enclosed some years ago, likely without permits/permission. Our current enclosed porch extend approximately 6’ beyond the neighbours front facades. Thus, presumably we would NOT be allowed to rebuild the porch as a fully enclosed area?

g) Fully detached garage with a roof deck. I know the height restrictions on an “accessory building” are 13’ but what if it was a garage with a flat roof at, or just below the 13’ level? Would a roof deck then be allowed on top given that the railings around the outside edges would put the “height” well over 13’? What about a pergola on that roof deck, approximately another 7-8’ above the roof surface, thus 20’ plus? If not, how about a 10’ high flat roof garage, with approximately 9’ clearance inside, which would give you room for a 3’ railing around the deck, but not a pergola?

h) Same question as g) above but with respect to max. (10 m) house height and a roof deck on TOP of a third storey.

Thank you very much.

Comments (4)