SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eclectictransitional

Pool--yea or nay? (Or as my kids would say, "YAY!")

Milly Rey
9 years ago

First, I understand and absolutely believe that having a pool is more dangerous than having a loaded gun in the house. I would only do a pool with AUTOMATIC covers and with 5' fencing all around with automatic closures on the gates. And the controls would be behind a combination lock that the kids won't know the number to until they're 22 (not even kidding about that).

THAT SAID....

What do you guys think of pools? I've got three frogs for kids who would be in the water every second they could wrangle supervision out of someone, and I have a housekeeper/nanny I'd be willing to pay for 2-4 hours of week of supervision and a couple of trustworthy neighbor parents who would take some turns at supervision, too.

I've developed a fairly simple L design that combines a lap pool with an 18" kiddie pool (AKA "baja shelf" lolol) off to one side and has a diving board at one end but the main two thirds will be 3.5'-4'. It will have a slide at the 3.5' end (comes to a stop before it lets the kids out--apparently, this is now code for shallow slides) with a waterfall over it, spitters, and an fountain on the baja shelf--basically, stuff that will make it more attractive to kids. We'd also have a built-in bench. Overall size would be 15x45' with a 10x10' L shelf.

Neither my husband nor I are big pool fans. But the kids are, and my mother (who often comes for extended visits and may be moving in eventually) is a huge lap swimmer and would love to hang out in the pool with them. My youngest is only 2, and we're thinking about having more, too.

Anyone gone with a pool and regretted it? Anyone think we're crazy if we're not huge fans? Part of my problem is that I have a cold allergy, and so many pools are too cold for me! (This pool would have solar heat and if it ended up being wildly popular, I'd add in a backup heat pump.) I also don't really seem to get great exercise doing laps--but it is super low impact for our later years, at least.

Comments (22)