SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaoticut

A printable, bermuda "cheat sheet" for my neighbors

9 years ago

Bermuda cheat Sheet

I wanted to put together something very easy for my neighbors. There are many maintenance calendars out there, but most of them are tedious reads and go into great detail. I tired to take all those valid, reliable resources, as well as my own experiences, and condense it down into an easy-to-read, season-by-season guide.

I would appreciate feedback or any suggestion!!!

Comments (4)

• 9 years ago

Liming should really only ever be done with a soil test in hand and some good recommendations.

I tend to argue that aeration should never be done as the disturbance to the soil biology is greater than the very limited positive effects.

• 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Morp you brought up great points!

The map was pre-done by the University of Arkansas ( https://www.uaex.edu/publications/PDF/FSA-6121.pdf). I thought it was the best predone map out there, considering I want to keep the information quick and neat!

In my rough draft I posted I prefer soaping or aeration, but I am glad you pointed out that the calendar reflects something different! Same with the liming without a soil test.

I added both of those additions!

But I am human, where is my positive reaffirmation?! haha

• 9 years ago

Seeding before June is a waste of money and time for most people. The soil has to be hot for bermuda seed to germinate.

Dethatching would be done at the end of the growing season only if something weird happened causing the soil microbes to stop processing grass clippings. I suppose you could generate thatch with weekly liquid fertilizer and short daily waterings. This would cause the grass roots to grow at the surface and look thatchy.

Glyphosate is misspelled and does not need to be capitalized in the middle of a sentence.

2 inches of water per week is far too much. That would take me 16 hours to apply per zone with my system. Not that timing is the issue, but even in my semi-desert setting, 2 inches would last me 3 weeks easily. If I had an inch of rain I could easily go 10 days. Where did you get that number?

Should note that mowing in the summer is usually 2x per week. Mowing in the spring could be 3x to 4x per week if the rains hit just right.

• 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Light dethatching, more of a grooming really, can be done monthly on higher maintenance bermuda lawns. If you want to maintain low heights of cut all season it's almost a must. But on lower maintenance lawns, if dethatching is necessary, I would definitely do it when the bermuda is up and growing good. Well before fall. Do it late spring or early summer.

And it's the opposite with mowing bermuda. Mowing 2-3 times per week in the spring. 3-4 times in the hottest parts of the summer. Summer is when bermuda grows it's fastest. Assuming the lawn is being taken care of and being irrigated.