SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwarring

selling a garden centric property during a drought

gwarring
9 years ago

I realize that gardens and orchards are not usually the primary interest of home buyers, but curb appeal is huge. We will be listing our house in the SF bay area this summer and are facing stringent water restrictions for the forceable future. We have citrus trees and figs, and also some raised bed vegetable garden areas, but no lawn, and the rest of the landscaping is low water use plants, i.e. lavender and rosemary. The trees should be fine this year without too much extra irrigation. Next years citrus crop will be affected but the fig crops should be ok.

I have been using a lot of water retaining polymers in the raised gardens and am planning on scaling back my usual plantings of tomatoes and chillies, veggies etc. but by how much? Empty garden beds are not as attractive as ones filled with green yummy stuff.

This year is going to be our come-to jesus year in California as far as the drought is concerned. If this summer is very warm with no rain/snow next winter we are going to be in very deep trouble (that is as polite as I can be but not as colorful) . We don't have any grey water systems in place in this house but I don't think it would be a big deal to put them in, however I don't have buy-in for that from the DH.

What do you think? Would you plant veggies as normal, not as much, or very little? None is not an option.

Comments (8)