SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

How Do You Cook Brown Rice?

John Liu
9 years ago

Having just turned 52, it is no longer possible to pretend that I'm still a young 'un. Thus I'm paying more attention to what is good for me and SWMBO, and not just to what tastes and looks good. But at the same time I still care about taste and appearance.

The dilemma, then, is rice. I love rice, every kind of rice. White, red, black, or "wild" rice; steamed, fried, risotto, pilaf, sushi; it is all good. Except for brown rice. I've always disliked brown rice. Ugh. Cardboard hippie food.

But I gather that brown rice really is quite good for you. So I've decided to cook and eat only brown rice, and thereby force myself to learn to cook it well.

I decided to start this thread to talk about brown rice - how do you cook it, what works and doesn't work, where does it sub well for other rices, and where do you just have to say glycemic index be damned and reach for the white rice?

Maybe someone can tell me how to make a really good brown sushi rice?

Just to start us off, I did make a brown rice risotto this weekend. I used brown short grain rice, fried it in olive oil and a little butter until the kernels were browned, redundant as that may sound, then did the risotto process using white wine and chicken stock. It took forever, like 2 hours, but in the end the result was great. So now I know that I can get my risotto fix and my dietary fiber too.

Comments (38)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH