SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hasmoody13

where do I even start with this hot mess of a yard?

hasmoody13
9 years ago

Hi! New to the forums, been a lurker for years!

We bought a new home in September that was a bank owned property...the prior owners according to neighbors and judging by the state of the yard and garden beds did absolutely nothing to the land besides mowing.

I hired a company for fertilization for the spring summer and fa, but after doing a walk today i got a true look at how bad the grass might actually be...I think.

Lots of weeds and crab grass that was never addressed, creeping Charlie thruout the lawn, moss, etc. what can I do to remedy this and end up with a pretty and lush green lawn? M

I was reading about reseeding (I should mention I know nothing about lawn care), and thought that slit seeding may be a good option, short of killing everything and starting over.

I have no idea what kind of soil I have, except for that it looks like rich, well draining soil- but again, I wouldn't know the difference between good soil and sand

We have a lot of deer, will the eat the grass seed?

I am unsure what parts of the house see direct sunlight, since it's been winter in Ohio and the life has been sucked out of everything.

The backyard is mostly trees, so I don't really see grass growing in this area, however there is a nice sized open area that can see some nice grass growth, once the moss is gone

The pics I am posting aren't the best- I can post more later. In the pics the grass looks pretty green, but up close it just looks....blah

My question is- assuming my lawn needs a complete overhaul, what are my options besides laying down new sod? Is there any hope in my current lawn- or should I start from scratch? And... What would starting from scratch actually entail?

Sorry this post is all over the place! immpretty overwhelmed with what's to come and can't wait to learn from all of you!

Comments (3)