SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbya_gw

~~~~APRIL "Gardener of the Month" LISA! ~~~~

Debra Andruska
9 years ago

April's special "Gardener of the Month" is LISA!

Lisa is in Zone 6

Doesn't grow veggies, no houseplants either...

Allergic to anything with oranges- and doesn't like 'trinkets' and NO home baked goods, please...

Loves Coffee- no tea!

Needs gardening gloves, loves to grow things from seed, loves unusual plants- prefers bigger, colorful foliage, anything variegated. Has light shade in her yard...

In her home Lisa loves bright colors..

Anything else to add Lisa? This is your month.... :)

** All packages for Lisa must be mailed by the third week of the month, so there is plenty of time to have every package arrive on time--with in the month! Once all packages are received I can start the new thread for the next person/next month. This has to go smoothly- communication is the key- keep in touch and let us know when packages are going out so Lisa is aware, and knows when to expect it. Use this thread to keep in touch.

Always, post when you receive your package- and when it's going out. Provide a delivery confirmation number either from USPS or UPS, to keep track of packages.

April- Lisa

May- Deb

June- Christine

July- Wild Haired Mavens

August- Nicole

Sept. Tammy

Let the fun begin!!! Send out a great gardening package for LISA!!!

Comments (35)

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I sent out Lisa's address to everyone except-

Wildhaired Mavens. I need you to email me personally at Debandruska@gmail.com ASAP. If your responding with email through houzz they are not reaching me. Everyone else was able to send me an email at my regular email address and send in personal info. I need your name/address--- and real email so we can communicate. As soon as I receive your info, I'll email you back with Lisa's address. :)

Thanks Everyone- for sending in info so promptly, and let's make this a really easy, fun swap!

There is only 6 of us! So, this should be easy and stress free!!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Everyone,

Remember to please post when your package is sent out so Lisa knows it's arriving! And post the d/c # so we can track the package! :)

Deb

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: May gardener of the month

Q

Comments (99)
    Linda...scents, Thoughts and prayers for your husband....and for you! Be well!!!!!! Susan, I am trying to remember what I sent you. I sent yours along with 4 or 5 other boxes and I do not keep a list of what I send. I believe their were daylilies, seeds (mint, Janice Brown daylily and ?), flip flops, seed envelopes, a happy/unhappy face little notebook, a pad of paper with flowers, V. S. lotion, Avon whipped lotion, an envelope of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing...sorry you have to make it, as the bottle would not fit... (LOL)!!! Did I put Tic Tacs and gum in yours??? I think that might be it! Only a few more days in your birthday month...Enjoy! Happy Memorial Day to all! Annie
    ...See More

UPDATE: Gardener of the Month

Q

Comments (24)
    Deb, I had a thought about this as well. If we move the people with the last two months (feb. and march 2009) to the months that the missing two have it could be a 10 month swap. No gaps, everyone receives 9 packages. If our hostess and scentsfromheaven do come back they could pick up those last two months and catch up and sending packages for the ones they missed if the still wished to participate. I would really like to keep this swap going as I have been "hoarding" cute things to send people :) As for hostess I am very new to GW and swaps as this is my first one. I would be happy for anyone to step in ;) even if just temporarily while we wait this out. Thats what I think anyway, my two cents hehe. It's a beautiful day out and I have some clematis to plant out by the mailbox. Have a good day everyone! Kara
    ...See More

NEW: ~Gardener of the Month~ Swap!

Q

Comments (42)
    Hope YOU ALL had a wonderful Independence Day!! Here are things I am interested in: Tomato seeds - orange/white/red/yellow, sizes all kinds such as cherry and dwarfs. Sunflower seeds - all varieties would like. You can also look at my want list on my profile. If you have rare seeds/variety of seeds and would like to share. My garden is open to that :) Would really like bulbs - any flower bulbs such as oriental lilies (I have stargazers already), amaryllis, allium, etc. plants - I am open to what you can share from your garden. (Please no house plants.) Wind chimes and solar lights for my garden. I am a BIRD lady, I feed the birds/hummingbirds - bird house/bird feeder/bird food. Since I am pre-diabetic, please no sweets. I do not wear beauty products. Also I love getting giftcards at places that I enjoy shopping at: Kohls, Cheesecake Factory, Baker's Creek Heirloom, Easytogrow.com (they sell bulbs), JcPenney, Walmart, etc etc.
    ...See More

Gardener of the Month/June Christine!

Q

Comments (40)
    So glad you got it and I am glad you liked it. I kinda wanna go back and get me one of those hanging hummingbird birdbaths- it is so pretty!! I worried about it breaking so that is why you got LOTS of bubblewrap..LOL! Have a beautiful day! Tammy
    ...See More
  • bluee19
    9 years ago

I needed more Likes on what ishareflowers (Lisa) so I emailed her and she told me I can share this information:
    "Likes...I'm easy I love all flowers and even discovered that I can grow African violets indoors. They are my new love. Please don't fret over what to send me.....anything garden/chocolate or seeds/plant division , coffee. I use nail stuff. I'm so early for receiving annuals would even be fine to have..."

• bluee19
    9 years ago

USPS d/c tracking 9405509699937486107667

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our first package went out! ;) Yay!!

I'm *working* on mine still... Remember, you don't have to send priority. You should if your sending plants, obviously, the package usually arrives in 2 days. But, you can also send UPS if it's easier for you, just always send us a tracking number so we can track the package. So we kind of send the same size packages- let's go by a medium flatrate size box. They have 2 box sizes- ones more larger, really flat. The other is shorter more higher. I want Everyone to get a nice box. No mailing stuff in a bubble lined envelope for one person and the next- gets a huge box! Let's send out really nice- thoughtful boxes! I can't wait to hear what Lisa receives!

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nicole and Lisa,

Nice package! :) I love the african violet! I collect them too! It looks like it shipped well!

This is going to be a fantastic swap, we have a great group! I'm working on my package, and should have it ready Monday. I'll post the delivery confirmation when it goes out.

Deb

• Christine00
    9 years ago

i plan to mail tomorow or thursday. ill post tracking number when i do

• Christine00
    9 years ago

9405-5036-9930-0036-1741-63

• bluee19
    9 years ago

GM ladies, can't wait to see what Miss Lisa gets from everyone else!! Hoping you all are having a Wonderful Wednesday :)

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

Im still working on my package should have it out by tomorrow or Monday if I miss tomorrow.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My box went out today--- 9505 5111 4736 5106 6794 01 it should arrive on Monday, hopefully Saturday though. Sometimes, boxes travel a little quicker than the receipt date.

Deb

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

I got a lovely package today from Christine. She spoiled me also! Christine sent me 6 plants! She sent geranium, lysmachia,heuchera, salvia,veronica and millium(all named). A nice bag of dark roast coffee, a large bag of twix bites, a note pad, coffee cup, butterfly chimes and a cherry body lotion! There was also a ceramic garden plaque but it didn't make the trip in tact. I'll try and find a use somewhere for the broken pieces. It's very colorful and maybe I can come up with something., thank you so much for a great package. I can't wait until I can staet sending packages out...

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

Looks like when it rains it pours, my package is on the way for Sat. 9505511087235106674661

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very nice packages arriving! We have a really GREAT group! I have a couple of Salvia plants growing in my landscape, light blue and dark, and wow- do they look nice each year. Tons of blooms! We have the harshest winters, and they come back without any extra care!

Lisa,

You could buy some grout from a craft store, they sell it in really small squeeze type/containers, even premixed (in colors too) and add it to the broken garden plaque. Basically put it together with 1/4 inch of grout or less to make it look even, in between and all the around the piece. Once it dries, use it as you would of indoors/out. Even as a hotplate. I have one of those that I paid a lot for! Michaels craft store carries the grout I'm talking about.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

I got a package from Deb today. it had some nice African violet starts in it. I bought a little double pot in pot it up two of the starts and I use the blue coffee mug from Christine for the third start that Deb sent me. I ran down the store and grabbed a bag of African violet potting mix to start the two sets of leaves that Deb sent me to try and grow a plant myself. Deborah also sent roots for a shade lovers garden. It contained lily of the valley, bleeding heart and an ass still be. she also enclosed an elephant ear bulb, two crocosmua bulbs, a note pad and a little green container!

What a great box Deb! I'm anxiously awaiting new leaf Grove growth on the variegated African violet. I cannot get enough of anything variegated. thank you so much Deb. I'm looking forward to putting a box together for you.

Lisa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Oooops, I forgot the pic!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love african violets, I go to violet shows and pick up all different types! I grow them from leaves all the time! You can place a baggie over the Mother leaves- to promote quicker growth (little greenhouse effect). The babies will appear at the soil line of the Mother leaf, divide once you feel comfortable handling them, usually they are about the size of a dime when you do. I grew the AV babies I sent. I make my own soil, sort of. Bag of AV soil, how ever many handfuls I use, I use the same amount of perlite, and sometimes a handful or two of vermiculite. Violets love loose airy soil. I just purchased the bag of plant roots/shade variety two weeks ago, specifically for you. So, they should be fresh and ready to go in the ground. The E ear too-- I purchased several of those. Next time when you use any type of mug, ceramic type pot- if it has no drainage add a layer of perlite to the bottom for needed air root space for violets. If your ever interested Annie has a violet series (ALL about african violets) google it, and podcasts/free are available that give hints/tips on growing violets. Annie even takes the podcast to violet shows.

I'm glad the babies made it, violets can last for many years. If you ever want another care package of leaves (you get the AV bug really bad- email me) I have leaves to share!

Hugs,
    Deb

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

Lisa tracking says my package was left with an individual at your address Saturday did you receive it yet?

• Lisa
    9 years ago

Sorry to interrupt, but seeing my name on a post grabbed my attention (yes, I know it's not really me you're talking about, lol.) and I have to say, I just registered on this site last week and I am SO impressed with all the generous and creative stuff everyone does on here, it's all just so fun to read about!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisa (The NEW Lisa)

This is such a fun RR! It's fun to prepare/shop- grow plants for others and make a package you *hope* they love! When I first started out doing swaps with Garden web, I loved all the true---Round robins. We would do a box of seeds- everyone would take out whatever they wanted, add the amount back of what they took, add special items too- handmade soaps, lotions, gloves, whatever to each package to make it special. We also did craft ones, where people would add candles, macrame plant holders- little ceramic pots, glass sun catchers, jewelry, basically adding whatever 'craft' they did. That one was always a fun one too! Same thing- you take whatever crafts you want, replace them with yours. A lot of the original round robins are gone, and ONE to ONE/person swaps are here now. Or sending seeds to ONE person and having them distribute them back to you- after they collected all seeds. I hope to bring a few of the original RR's back when I have more time. More over the winter... Summertime is always so busy!

Let's see- how this one goes... I'm sure it will do well! We have a great group.

I'll check back tonight and see if Lisa posted that Connie's/WHM package arrived.

Be back tonight.. I want to see more neat boxes we sent our SPECIAL Gardener of the month--- Lisa!!

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did a quick track of Connie's/Wild HM package, it was delivered Saturday 18 at 9:14 am.

Lisa,
    I hope it made it to you.. Let us know..

Now, we need to hear from Tammy! Our "Sept" buddy! Let us know if you mailed out Lisa's package. Or when it will be going out.

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tammy emailed me- She's working on the package. :) AND it sounds like a great package! I won't say anymore, LOL!!

Now, we need to hear from Lisa... with an update on Connie's package! :)

Deb

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Good afternoon ladies! I'm sorry I haven't been on , my neck is acting up. Connie, I'm so sorry, I posted about your beautiful package the same day as I posted about Debs box! I guess I didn't hit submit. I have potted and put away all my goodies BUT I still have the pic in my phone.

Connie sent me oodles of nail stuff, coffee,candy, a calendar, bulbs, cuttings if pentas, a few make up items to name a few. Again, I'm so sorry Connie, I thought I posted!!;

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

WOW what a NICE package, Connie!! ;)

Lisa,

Your lucky!! We have the ~best~ group! That's a lot of goodies to go through! :)

Deb

• akiraana
    9 years ago

Oh wow this looks neat. Would love to participate on one of these types of exchanges sometime :) Have fun everyone !

• mcc371
    9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

It has been quite a busy month just got home from San Antonio. They had a garden swap and it was a blast. I think I brought more home than I traded. Anyways, I finished Lisa's box last night and got it all packed up and ready to be mailed. Going to town this morning so I will post the Confirmation number when I get back.

Lisa I have been lurking in the background off and on this past few weeks and I think someone has been spoiled! LOL! Wow, at the stuff! some of the ideas were very creative! Love it!

Deb, Thank you for hosting this! Hopefully we can do another six months after this one. Everything everyone has sent has just been awesome.

Have a safe and happy weekend!

Tammy

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Deb, will you be posting your am a gardener of the month thread soon?

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

That should read May gardener of the month...I would love to get some wants posted somewhere from the other players in the swap. The more time I/we have to shop, the more likely we can send actual wants!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May thread is up! :)

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Gardening Gal of the month,

Did Tammy's box arrive? I just re-read the thread above and it was possibly mailed last Friday? I didn't notice a dc# posted, so can't track it. Hmm, let me know. If you didn't get it, I'll contact Tammy. It's the END of the month- and we want to start our new month out fresh, without 'boxes' owed. :)

Hopefully, it arrived... Or is on the way! May 1st tomorrow! April went by fasssstttt!

I hope you had a fun month, LISA!

Hugs to all,

Deb

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

This just arrived! I'll post in a few.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Tammy sent a herb grow kit, 2 starts of houseplants, a Venus fly trap, eggplant seeds, a sago palm tree seed, a glass pot waterer,coffee rub and 3 Mexican tulip bulbs and some measuring equivalence charts. Tammy, I hope you don't mind if I pass the veg seeds, herb kit, sago palm seed( poisonous) and house plants onto someone else. I thought I posted that I only grow flowers, no veg, no house plants but I probably forgot to do it ...I thank you for thinking of me !! It was a nice package but I will share it with others.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All of our packages are in for this month, Thank you Everyone- for being so generous and prompt!

For Lisa's month- and all future months, there is always an introductory post at-

the start of the thread, it gives 'ideas' of what you would like- and dislike. And if I miss anything, always feel free to correct, or add to the thread. It's your thread- your the special GOTM! Sometimes we just realize that we can't find a certain item/plant in our area and if it's our month- add it to your list! It's YOUR month- we will do our best to make it fantastic! I thought about making a bio sheet and combining all of your wants/interests. But- from previous swaps know those go outdated really quick. As an example- if you were looking for bulbs, just say parrot tulips.. And your month is July, well obviously the bio sheet you did in January for me when I started thinking about planning the swap would be possibly outdated. You had no idea what month you were getting- and you won't be able to plant tulips that late. Yes, in the Fall- but what if you found them already? Maybe that specific garden area is done, and you don't want to add anything else to it. And what if every single one of us sent you parrot tulips? So- with this way, me starting your 'wants/dislikes' Your in control of what making your box a bit more personal. And chances are receiving pretty much everything that you can use.

Feel free to let me know your thoughts.. Or ideas... We could always use the original thread for your wants/dislikes. That way I'll copy what your looking for in a summary on your month page when it goes up. That's kind of simple! So when it's time for your month- if it's a little outdated from what you previously posted on the original thread page, add whatever you feel like adding! I know I change like the wind, I'm forever looking for something one month, and the next I found it! So, I just kind of list all my likes- that don't change. I sure have enough hobbies! :)

Miss Lisa! Hugs to you for your Month! I hope all the violets grow really well for you. IF you want more, just email me and let me know. I'll gladly send you a carepackage out. I love sharing my hobby- it's so addicting! Some violets can live for so many years. One woman had a violet for 40 years that was passed on from her Grandma! The same plant! When they get leggy (sort of like a palm tree) you cut off the leggy part and replant the plant. Lots of youtube videos to see. Or check out allaboutafricanviolets (Annie's podcasts) so informative!

Deb

• mcc371
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lisa, I am so sorry you didn't like your box and I feel really bad especially since I purposely made my box be the last one to be received on your last day to be GOTM! I got those in a swap in San Antonio and I already had them. Yes you may share it with others! I grow the succelents ( the two starter plants ) out in my cactus garden in full sun so I didn't think about them being houseplants to someone, the venus fly trap and herbs I grow out on my patio during the summer months I was thinking they would be unusual plants.

The eggplant seed was suppose to go in the spring box swap that I was packing next to yours. So I guess she got your flower seed packet. Wish I would have read earlier that you liked African Violets as my breakfast nook is full of them. I would have sent you some as I need more room in the house. Hugs! On to next month and more surprises!!

Have a Beautiful Day!

Tammy