SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

As Seen on Food Fortunes -- Can you measure flour?

plllog
9 years ago

Have you seen this show? Shark Tank for the comestibles set? It's not bad as aural wallpaper while making dinner. Entrepreneurs are selling stakes in their companies to investors based on a product they're looking for help in marketing.

The latest show, however, had a truly ridiculous device. It requires using their expensive, space inefficient canisters, which you plop on top of the machine, so it can do a preprogrammed conversion of your dry ingredients to weights. Not that they mentioned that it used a scale. I found that out by looking it up just now. During their whole spiel, which was focused on the woman's inability to use measuring cups, I was thinking one could get a decent scale for under $20. The machine costs $250 and only includes two canisters.

There are other baking scales on the market that do conversions.

Since the whole presentation was based on the premise that half the time this lady's cookies come out badly because of poor measures, besides wishing she'd just buy a scale, I was also shouting, "Learn to use a measuring cup!" I've never had a batch of cookies come out bad. I've probably overcooked a tray or two, but that's a different story. An oven with a sensor that knows exactly when they're perfect and spits them out onto a cooling rack would be good. Otherwise, don't forget to set your timer, and you're golden. And so are the cookies.

When I was little I learned to sift and measure without compacting the flour. By the time I was a tween, we were doing Betty Crocker's dip, level and pour routine. When I lived abroad I had cheap soft plastic measuring cups and still made good cookies. ANYONE educable (and this lady didn't seem stupid in general, just clueless about baking) can learn to measure. I was highly offended by her implication that accurate measurements are hard.

For good measures by cups and spoons, use a set that are accurate to themselves. That is, two half cups give you a whole cup. Four tablespoons give you a quarter cup. Use a straight edge to level. Always use the same brands if you want to have consistent results. That's it. Children can do it with very little instruction.

They also say that it will cut down on mess, but there would still be mess filling the canisters, and there's surely some drift where the valve and dock are. For that matter, if there's residue, the required cleaning between ingredients could be onerous. With a cup, a quick swipe with your baking towel and you're ready for the next thing. In the article I found just now, there's a Kickstarter video which shows the woman struggling trying to measure out of the paper sack and out of a narrow container like people put breakfast cereal in. If she had a proper flour jug that she could get her hand and scoop into ($20 or less anywhere they sell housewares), she wouldn't make a mess.

I actually think the kind of people who buy expensive toys at Williams-Sonoma might buy this for the nifty factor.

But it's SILLY!! And offensive to women in general by implying that they can't bake without it.

Great title on the article:

Meet the Ingredient Dispenser of Our Dystopian Nightmares

Don't throw away your measuring cups.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022