SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

I-Pad Backup Help or Need?

chas045
9 years ago

I need advise on or need for backing up my wife's I-pad.

Wife has used an I-pad mini for two years now. She normally does email on a windows desktop using Win live mail, but sometimes reads (and even less often sends) e-mail on the I-Pad. She has not really used I-Tunes for any music and has only used the app store to get a few basic, usually free, apps. I had downloaded a collection of our CDs and digitized LPs, to her i-pad as well as regular computers, but as yet she hasn't used her ear buds or really listened to much of anything. (She did say she would like to use Pandora).

Occasionally, the pad gives a message that it has not been backed up. It generally says needs to be locked, and powered overnight, but sometimes wants password that are often forgotten. The 'no backup' has reached 27 weeks. Today, I saw there was a system update. I ran it and it appeared to accept the needed password and did upgrade; but then didn't recognize password. Changed and used new password. Had not even remembered about 4 char' pass codes' that can unlock the pad, I guess we initially skipped it and today did the same. I see it may be needed for i-cloud.

So: do we really have anything I needed to backup? Since today's system update, did we temporarily lose some apps? I needed to use the pad to scan and send a document for first time. I think it worked ok but I noted that wife had no contacts on her ipad email. Since I never attempted to move or copy any, i imagine I shouldn't expect any but...?? Without 'pass code' would any backup happen anyway?

Comments (13)