SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nutherokie

Fed up and ready to tackle my well water issues

nutherokie
9 years ago

I've been reading posts trying to educate myself for this process and wanted to see if anyone can help advise me on some of my specific issues before I call in the local pros. I have a shallow well drilled in about three years ago in conjunction with construction of our new house. The well has a fairly slow production rate of 7 gallons per minute or so. For that reason, we have an 80 gallon storage tank before the pressure tank.

Even before we moved in I began noticing orange stains along the water lines of the toilets and then realized we had orange stuff in the toilet tanks. After we moved in I noticed that when I make tea it turns a nasty shade of black. I discovered that those things suggested iron bacteria. In late January I shocked the well with chlorine hoping to finally get rid of it. A little over a month later I had the water tested. The tests indicated that iron bacteria is still present, but gave no indication of amounts. General information:

No coliform or e.coli.

Residual chlorine from shocking the well: .29 mg/l

Hardness: 166 mg/l

Iron: .15 mg/l

Manganese: none

Nitrate as nitrogen: 6.91 mg/l

Sulfate: 37.06 mg/l

Hardness: 166 mg/l

pH: 7.01 SU

Alkalinity: 272.5 mg/l

TDS 424.2 mg/l

There is a note stating that there is a "large quantity of sand and mineral sediment," having particles too numerous to count.

I tested the flow rate on the outside spigot closest to the pressure tank and got 4.8 gallons per minute.

We have 3 bathrooms and a powder room. There are two tubs (one is a monster soaking tub), three showers, two of which have hand showers that can be used at the same time as the shower head. Just two people in the house most of the time.

The hardness, the iron bacteria, the sediment or some combination is plugging our shower heads and the screens on our plumbing fixtures. I've replaced the toilet valves and flappers repeatedly because in short order they start running continually. And the black tea is really unappetizing, so we've been bringing in bottled water for tea and coffee.

Sorry for the treatise! Does anybody have any advice on how to treat these issues?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!