SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Costa Rican food ... and adventure

Lars
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Forget what you have heard about food in Costa Rica - the meals we had the past 10 days were fabulous and were as good or better than what I make at home or have had in restaurants in the U.S. First meal was in San Jose

on Avenida Central (a pedestrian street, like 3rd St Promenade in Santa Monica) at El Patio del Balmoral, which is the orange sliver of a building down the street on the left. Kevin had Chicken Breast Milanese with Pesto Rigatoni. The pesto sauce was extremely flavorful with lots of fresh basil and garlic and good olive oil. I had a Cuban sandwich, and it was also very good, although my memory is slightly fading now, but it did have fresh vegetables as a side dish. Kevin kept a diary during our trip, but I did not. Anyway, I was extremely impressed with how excellent our first meal was. My sandwich came with fried potatoes - no beans and no rice. After lunch, we went to the Jade Museum, which was also downtown, and then we had dinner at La Criollita, which was two blocks from our hotel. I had sea bass with shrimp sauce (lots of fresh shrimp in the sauce), and Kevin had sea bass with a mushroom sauce. Both were excellent, and we had the choice of potatoes or rice (I had potatoes and Kevin had rice), but no beans were offered, but we did get a great fresh salad.

I'm going to have to stop for now because I am having a bit of trouble with my photo viewer, but I will also add that our trip was not without incident. On day two, the volcano started erupting, blowing ash into the skies and forcingthe San Jose airport to close. We're not sure, but we think the volcano may have caused allergic reactions because by the time we were half way through, my allergies were severe, and I had to get extra strength Allegra at the farmacia. Kevin started feeling allergies a day or two after I did, and we're not sure whether it was the rain forest or the volcano, but we have still not recuperated from this. On day three, we booked a horseback riding tour at La Fortuna, and the horse I was riding got spooked by a vulture that flew at her from a nearby tree, and she reared up and threw me off. I landed flat on my back, fortunately on soft ground (muddy grass), but it knocked the breath out of me, and I was afraid that the horse was going to fall back on top of me. I've ridden horses since I was four, and this is the first time I was ever thrown off. Note that I did not "fall off" - I was thrown off, and this was quite unsettling for me. We cancelled out zip line tour for the following day because I was in pain and had badly bruised one knee. I was lucky that nothing was broken, but the tour operator handled the situation rather poorly, I think. I got back up on the horse

to ride downhill to the next stopping place (not an easy feat on a horse that was skittish by that time and wanted to gallop down the steep hill), and after that, the guide sent me back to the stables by car with no apology and no compensation for my pain. (In the photo you can see Luca and Andrea, two tourists from Italy, in front of me and Arenal Volcano in front of us. The guide has the cowboy hat and the rest of us had to wear helmets - and Kevin was riding behind me - taking the photo.)

I will write more about food after I get ACDSee working again.

Lars

Comments (4)