SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_witte9206391

Need to correct landscaping around mature oak trees

We recently bought a home in west suburban Chicagoland with 1.5 acres. We have 25-30 mature oak trees and many of them have been piled 1-2 feet high with mulch right up against the trunk which was then planted with some sort of ornamental bulbs and grasses - not sure what exactly as we just moved in last Fall.

We live near some forest preserves and would like to have more of a natural appearance. I know that much mulch right up against the trunk can kill trees so that is the first thing to fix, but what would be next?

I think my plan would be to remove the mulch mounds until level with the rest of the yard, remove grass and weeds in 10-15 foot diameters underneath each tree and then plant with various native woodland groundcovers or find a source of a native Illinois woodland wildflower seed mix.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to plant, groundcover or something else, that would give us a natural northern Illinois native woodland? Any tips on what to avoid? Will I need to keep a buffer around each tree where nothing is planted?

Comments (3)

Sponsored