SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Opinions Sought on Large Scale Cocktail Party

User
9 years ago

Our choral society is having an end of season party on a Friday night in May. The last concert is the night before and the music is Celtic. The hosts are the board of directors, eight very active members. Guests are the choir members, our top two donor levels ($1000+ givers this season) and our program advertisers. Everyone gets a plus one. We are thinking we'll have between 80 and 100 attendees. Our guiding principle is an Irish pub evening. We are having it downstairsat our house, inside and out between the patio / backyard / decks / lower level.

The board members will handle food, and they have agreed to let me set the menu and follow the recipes I give them. So far I am being persuaded by a good friend in a nearby big city that we should get all the hot hors d'oeuvres at Trader Joe's and let the board members bring fruit trays and vegetable and dip trays and cheese and cracker trays. The suggested TJ foods are mushroom turnovers, Ham and cheese puff pastry bites, the tarte d'Alsace cut into appetizer sized pieces, and cocktail meatballs in some sort of sauce. I am not really a cocktail meatball person but everybody seems to love them around here. I was also thinking pita chips and hummus. For 100 people we need 10-12 different appetizers. Over the course of a two and a half hour party, after dinner, most people will eat about 12 appetizers--- according to TJ's own party planning guide which I found on their website.

First, does this seem like a good idea, to have all the hot stuff come from the same place, so we don't have little dribs and drabs of this or that on small serving dishes that have to be replenished often? I estimate the cost of food at TJs will run around $250 to $300, not including what board members bring. One of our choir members who has a cake making business is going to make a sheet cake with a fancy Celtic design. This will be the only dessert and will be the only food requiring a fork.

Second, DH and I are providing the alcohol. We will have one signature cocktail made with Jameson, red and white wine, and beer. Neither DH nor I drink beer and I have no idea what to get. In theory, people like to try exotic drinks but I notice those are often left after a few sips and the person goes back for a safer choice. Therefore I am wary of ordering a lot of Guiness that will be wasted. So, what beer(s) should be offer? I'm thinking two kinds but have no idea what. Jailhouse Brewery is very near us and that seems popular down here right now, but my boys like Blue Moon or some kind of wheat beer. Need suggestions!!

We have a professional Scottish fiddler from NC taking part in the concert who may or may not stay the next night for the party, and someone who will do a demonstration Irish dance.

As for time, I am thinking 7:30 to 10 pm but it sounds realize a little early for a Friday night. Would 8:00 to 10:30 be better? DH feels strongly we need an endpoint to avoid serving coffee to stragglers at midnight, and I agree. We are also cognizant of social host liability issues and don't want to serve alcohol for a protracted period of time.

Comments (41)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm