SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Only free amti-malware? I was told the purchased stuff NG.

jerry_nj
9 years ago

I looked for advice a few days back on purchased maintenance/anti-malware and was told there is nothing good, most bad.

I have a XP Media Dell Desktop (must be 10 years old) that has lots of stuff I'd like to keep and will continue to run it occassionally if I can get it running okay.

Chief problems: 1) very slow on boot to the point a browser can be activated.. several minutes 2) it runs slow and if just left on a few hours I come back to find it has several dialog boxes nested on the screen, all with blanked out names and click-function "keys".

I run Avira Free and have run the full scan a couple of times. Also MalwareBytes, SuperAntispyware and Advanced Systems Care, which finds lots of problems, and claims to have fixed them then list a large number for the other problems found that one has to pay to get removed. I have not paid.

Given the recurrent problem, happens in just hours, what other freeware should I use? Given past advice I should not pay Advanced System care to complete the cleaning of my computer.

Comments (10)