SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denizenx

More Layout Help, Please

9 years ago

Here's a link to my previous thread:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2840971/layout-help-round-2?n=1

Some variation on this is still my current favorite and I would appreciate help in developing it further:

In this rendering the Dish Washer is to the right of the sink.

It was suggested that I try the sink/DW at the rear window, which I tried here:

While I agree it solves some problems, I *think* I'm going to nix it pending further advice. My feelings are that I'm very very reticent to lose one of the side windows, it's more expensive, it puts the sink further from the fridge and closer to the sight line from the front door.

Another alternative is to put the DW perpendicular to the sink, as seen here. It's by the doorway under cabinet #20:

So, my first question is which is better, the DW to the right of the sink in the prep area, or perpendicular to it? I understand putting it in the prep area is a no-go for some; for me I don't think it's a big deal, but I do take their point. However, I have concerns with the perpendicular spot too, namely how the open door would cross the sink area. That would nix an under the sink trash pullout. Also, I was thinking to put my everyday cups, glasses and dishes in the upper cabs (20& 21) and it would be great to have the silverware in draws below, if the DW is not there.

I could live with either, but which is worse.

Here are 3D renderings of each:

Speaking of sinks, can I get away with runnels at that location and on which side? I have 38" from the center line of the windows to the left wall, and I'm figuring on a 30" sink, so on the left they'd be crossing into the corner, on the right they'd be in the prep space. I'm thinking I'd just clear them to prep and lay my cutting board over them.

And should I push the sink farther left or the stove farther right to maximize space between them, or are the lazy susan style corner cabinets too useful to mess with?

I'd also like to consider the Fridge side of the room. In this layout I have about 82" of wall space to work with. It would be nifty if I could get broom space and food pantry out of it, but more importantly I'd like my micro and toaster oven on that side, preferably off the counters.

So the question is, should I have one on each side of the fridge, or have tall cabinets on one side fo the fridge and put one above and one below the counter on the other?

After all that, the is another variation on this layout I am considering and would love input on.

Instead of turning the corner with the cabinets on the rear wall I do a peninsula thing:

I have 98" along that wall to work with. It could be 24" cabs, or 12" with a 12" overhang, or maybe something open like this:

My pros and cons of this layout:

Pros: I like the idea of having a barrier to keep guests behind. It could be bar height and people could stand there with drinks and interact with me while I'm cooking without being in my dang space.

Cons: Might lose storage depending on the peninsula. Would have to curtail the fridge side run for isle space. And lastly and perhaps most importantly, after years of working in a small kitchen cut in half by a wall (that's coning down) I'm kinda scared to do anything that gonna make work and passage feel cramped. This kinda bissects the area, some for the good (like keeping guests at bay) and some for the bad, in making passage more narrow. For better or worse, the main path from the front door to the rear door of the house cuts right through the center of the kitchen.

I'm really at an impasse, I could go either way on any of these decisions. What would you do???

If anyone would like any additional views, measurements or elevations just let me know.

And thanks!!!

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH