SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasforever

Need some advice on what to do with my lawn (TifGrand vs. Palmetto)

texasforever
9 years ago

Hi,

I've been learning allot by reading other's posts and wanted to throw out two options and get some feedback. Our 9,000 sqft front yard is a mess with some common bermuda and broad leaf weeds. There are also two large Red Oaks that throw off quite a bit of shade (I've trimmed them back about as far as I'm willing to go). The soil is pretty poor, I'll post a pic of a soil test I had done by TAMU in 2013. Also, I'm located in the DFW area (Zone 8).

I'm debating the following two options:

Option 1 (Expensive but fast)

• Kill everything with Round Up (the generic equivalent)

• Use a power rake to remove all the dead foliage without tilling deep into the soil.

• Core aerate and fill in the plugs with compost to improve the organic material in the soil. Continue to add alfalfa pellets to improve the organic material.

• Lay 20 pallets worth of St. Augustine Palmetto

Option 2 (Cheaper but slower)

• Spray a selective herbicide to kill the broad leaf weeds but keep the bermuda.
  • Use a power rake to remove all the dead foliage without tilling deep into the soil.
  • Lay 4 pallets worth of Tifgrand bermuda around the two red oaks to fill in the bare spots. I wouldn't lay sod up to the tree trunk, I'll be planting some flowers or ground cover directly under the two trees. The four sprinkler heads would be the outside corners of each box.
  • Core aerate and fill in the plugs with compost to improve the organic material in the soil. Continue to add alfalfa pellets to improve the organic material.
  • Follow the bermuda bible for maintenance.

Does anyone have experience with TifGrand and can speak to its shade tolerance? The northern exposure gets allot of shade (the mailbox is due North).

I'd prefer to keep the existing bermuda + TifGrand and not go the Palmetto route given the cost and labor involved in that much sod. I don't mind waiting a season or two for the bermuda to fill in but am worried that the Northern side of the lawn that borders the street will always look poor given the shade.

Thanks!

David

Comments (8)