SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessetharin

extending roof with a patio cover and it's tight

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I have a fifty year old Santa Fe style house (old style, pre-yuppie) and want to add a patio cover on to the back. It would span the entire roof width. The house is essentially a single story on-slab rectangular block house with a nearly flat 3% roof that’s inside the front and side walls, and rests on top of the (lower) back wall. The roof is not seen from the street.

My rear block wall’s top plate is only 93” from the top of the foundation stem wall. I want to extend the roof out 12 feet in an open patio cover, but keep the slope and extend the BUR seamlessly. I’m calling it a patio cover because it will have 3 open walls and no floor/deck.

There are two problems I’m having trouble wrapping my head around..

One, the spacing of the original 2x10 house joists varies from 16 to 24 inches depending on the span. If I’m sitting out back and looking up at the bare exposed/uninsulated/non-ceilinged undersides of the roof extension, I’d like to see evenly spaced joists. Normally one would sister using the existing joist spacing at the top of the house rear wall, but I don’t want to be stuck with the existing variable spacing and don’t have the slightest idea how to get around that. A ledger board arrangement seems weak.

The second related brain vacancy I have is how to go out 12 feet with a 3% (4 1/2 inches over 12 feet) slope, prop the joists on a 6X8 beam at the 10’ mark, and still be able to walk off the porch without some of the tall ‘uns in the family having to duck under that beam. I think I could run 2X6 lumber dead level off the sill plate, adding ripper strips on top of them to keep the roof slope smooth. Would this sort of thing be considered a tapered joist or a truss, or would an inspector be inclined to insist on continuing out with 2X10 stock to match the original house roof? The 2X6 scheme gives me 84” under the beam, but going with 2X10 wood knocks the clearance down to 6’8”. That’s a little too cozy.

I don’t mind a rustic look as long as it is neat and proper, and tend to overbuild. I also don’t mind entertaining the county inspectors when I go for the permit, but I don’t want to make them laugh TOO much!

Comment (1)