SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calfee20

Blackberry Winter Survival 2015

calfee20
9 years ago

I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South coast Mass. and since it was above freezing for once I went to the garden. I know we are a lot milder than most everywhere else but we did have a few below freezing nights and one down to -5 F. Last year most of my first year Triple Crown vines died. I only got enough for 2 batches of jelly. This year we have a huge snow cover plus the second year vines were much more robust so I am hopeful the damage will be small.

The snow is no longer this deep. It's about 4' deep and very packed now. Well I managed to walk to the top of the snow by the trellis 4x4 [I know my feet are big but I was surprised I made it.] I clipped 3' from a lateral that was exposed to the air all winter and it had a green inner ring almost to the end. I am hopeful now that there was minimal damage.

Please use this thread to share your thoughts on this rotten winter. I think we may be over the hump now temperature wise. I will update as the weather warms........good luck all.

BTW I have a new row of Arapahoe and Natchez covered with straw under the bulk of that drift so it should be alright.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012