SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hungryfrozencanuck

Prime arc 45 and Prime arc freedom rhizomes survived Quebec winter 4b

So I am working on my spring report but this was interesting enough that I will post it now.

I received prime arc 45 and Prime arc freedom primocaine BlackBerries as 2" plugs last June. They were planted in an old compost heap. They grew like crazy and did form BlackBerries but were unable to ripen prior to the first fall frost late September.

In the fall the canes were laid down and covered with about 2 inches of dried leaves. Our winter was long and cold going from Nov to mid April with temps down to -34.1 C ( -29.4F). We did however have ALOT of snow cover which had to help. No surprise, but the canes did not survive the winter although a couple of the deeply buried canes did have four or 5 inches that survived near the base.

Most interesting is that it appears that the rhizomes survived perfectly fine. They are now sending shoots up all over. I am hoping that with the larger root mass that the canes should grow faster and fruit earlier and hopefully I can have some ripe blackberries before frost hits although I may play with high tunnels or the like to try an prolong use the season.

Be aware both these plants appear to spread freely by rhizomes. I better get right fruit from these because I am going to be unhappy if they choke out my other plants in the pile.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath