SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drew51_gw

Blackberry winter survival in zone 6a/5b 2014

Well all my plants are still dormant, but I can access damage. All trailing types with unprotected canes. The canes died. The plants though are alive. Base of plant was protected and all canes are very green there. We had 13 days below zero this winter. With the coldest at -14.
Boysenberry, Tayberry canes died back to covered point. So no berries this year off of them. Wyeberry exposed canes look rough, covered canes look great.
So it appears the trailing types can survive very cold weather but need to be covered in zone 6 or lower.
All the erect /semi-erect types are fine with minimal dieback. Those include Triple Crown, Natchez, Navaho, and Chester.
Loganberry was exposed and seems fine. It had one short cane only, my dog tore all the others off running by., Installing a fence to stop that this year.
But I must give Jesse the wonder dog credit where credit is due. I didn't cover the trailing types except wyeberry. But my dog urinated on them and did that kicking thing. Which resulted in the mulch mounding at the base of the plants. When I uncovered them, they were all green underneath. If Jesse didn't do that, all the trailing plants would be dead.
Really he messed up my Loganberry, but saved my tayberry and boysenberry.
I will leave this year's canes sprawl on the ground , cover them in the winter then tie them up next spring.
Anyway a good lesson. I lost a lot of berries, but all plants are alive. I know they can produce here. And I still have 4 huge plants that wll give me a decent yield. I'm adding Columbia Star, Black Diamond, Loch Ness, and Apache.
Many others I would like to try, but I'm full!

Raspberries

All raspberries look great, -14 didn't do anything to any of them. ZERO dieback.
Adding Jewel and Niwot black raspberries this year. I only have Allen black raspberry now. Which also looks fine, beautiful purple colored canes.
I have Encore, Prelude, Anne, Kiwi Gold, Cascade Gold, Taylor, Rosanna, Himbo Top, Polka, Honey Queen, Carolina, Allen, Fall Gold, Crimson Night, and Double Gold. All look fine! Many, many more I would love to try, but again no more room!

Comments (11)