How to Prevent Adult Children Living with You

blueheron

If you and your spouse are of retirement age, move to a retirement community. Only two related people are permitted to live in a villa or cottage. That way, your adult children can't move in with you....LOL

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Or learn to say "No".

1 Like Save    
veronicasgrandma

funny post but I agree with sushipup1, you have to stand up to people, even your adult kids. I know too many people who run away from their problems instead of facing them head on. And then they're miserable for the rest of their lives.

Save    
dbarron

It works the other way around. My mother died two years ago in Sept, and she asked me to stay with my father, because he couldn't live alone. I was beyond miserable....I felt abused. I complied for a year and a half, till he got remarried (at 90). We're probably both happier now.

Save    
sylviatexas2
Sell the house & buy an RV!

"Learn to say no" works sometimes, but as people get older, adult children who want to move in may give them grief & try to take control.

Take care of yourselves!
Save    
emma

My friend bought a condo downtown with only one bedroom. That took care of her problem.

Save    
blueheron

LOL

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kids’ Spaces Room of the Day: The Young Adults’ Section
A Connecticut couple create a fun yet sophisticated hangout space for their maturing children
Full Story
Room of the Day Room of the Day: A Bright, Colorful Playroom for Kids and Adults
Fun colors mix with sophisticated furnishings and finishes to create an addition suitable for child’s play and adult relaxation
Full Story
Kids’ Spaces 15 Ideas for a Children’s Discovery Garden
Pique curiosity and encourage creativity by adding play features that appeal to kids’ imagination and senses
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More