SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread

davidrt28 (zone 7)
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for most of them, it was not as bad as 2013-2014. Except for Ohio and Kentucky. But feel free to contribute from whereever.

My low was 1F, several times - last night did not get nearly as cold as predicted. This will be the 1st or 2nd coldest February in Baltimore, since 1870.

You can see earlier reporting here: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1644269/ilex-x-scepter-anyone-growing-this

I might report on plants at UDel Newark later, if I go over there during spring break. (it's a hassle to park when in term and I tend to avoid the area) or at Longwood, although they would try to hide any signs of damage quickly. I'm also planning to try to see the National Arboretum this spring, I'm particularly wondering about their Asian evergreen/ring cupped oaks.

Additional things noticed during a walk around today:

Sequoia 'Chapel HIll'/'Swarthmore Hardy' - doing as bad as last winter, at least

Sequoia 'Soquel', 'Atlanta': definitely not as bad as last winter, 'Soquel' appearing particularly free of substantive injury. Just a few burnt needles here and there, no whole branches like last winter. This just underscores what I've said before that 'Swarthmore Hardy' doesn't seem especially hardier than the other two clones.

Loropetalum 'Zhuzhou Pink'. Uh oh. Top looks 100% dead. A big difference w/last winter is the poor snow cover this year. I think last year some branches got pinned to the ground under the snow and were ok, some still died back. But they are pretty tough and I'm sure it will spring back. Last year most of the top regenerated leaves but I think a small branch or two died.

Pseudostuga sinensis - showing a bit of needle damage now. I had moved the 5' plant in the early fall so I was particularly worried about it. However I moved it to a place with winter shade due to a holly to the south of it. (I eventually plan for it to tower over the holly...it is very fast growing. Fastest growing conifer I've ever seen.) Hence it actually has less needle injury than last winter, I think the sun protection is probably the reason. I also treated it with wiltpruf, and had not last year...that could be helping too.

Ilex X attenuata 'Longwood Gold' - probably not really injured, but worth noting the leaves have a definite stressed appearance. Just shows what a record February can do.

Euphorbia characias and (X martinii) hybrids: I allow these to self-seed in a part of my garden and I have about 15 plants. Last winter one clone was close to undamaged, I thought of introducing it as an extra-hardy variety. This plant was near the giant 5" caliper rosemary that was completely killed, not even able to return from the roots, so you can see how cold that part of the garden was. This winter they are all damaged but alive, even last winter's hardy one.

Feijoas: obviously at least defoliated as they were last winter. However, the stems resprouted vigorously. This winter I piled the stems with snow when I was worried I'd go below 0F, which thankfully I did not. These are going to be right on the balancing point of survival here, needing strings of mild winters to even think of blooming. But, we've had strings of mild winters and will again. My experience is they are ok above 10F, they partly defoliate 5-10F, and completely defoliate below 5F.

Podocarpus chinesis: leaves appear stressed but not injured. A relief because this is a favorite conifer.

Juniperus rigida: obviously not damaged, but worth noting it turned even more brown than it had last winter. Some years it hardly changes color at all.

I might post more as I notice it.

Comments (41)