SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhbabs

Show Us Your Gardens - A photo Thread - August 2015

NHBabs z4b-5a NH
8 years ago

Welcome to the New England Gardening "Show Us Your Gardens" Photo Thread for August 2015 in the Pixie Lou tradition.

This is a place to post photos and to discuss what is in your New England garden. This is the first thread for August 2015. All New England garden photos are welcome. Since Summer is here, our focus will be on flowers. However, all New England landscape and garden photos are welcome. If it is a photo taken in your New England garden or your yard in the month of August, it is fair game to post it here.

Here is the link for the August 2014 thread, which though it says Part I was the whole month's worth.

Yesterday morning there was an unusual fog/cloud over the corn field just at sunrise.

Comments (45)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Lovely view of the corn field, NHBabs, with the fog not quite touching the corn tops. I wonder if the fog was somehow caused by the maturing corn (transpiration?) or maybe it's just moisture rising from the damp soil.

The corn plants all seem to be the same height as if they were sheared with hedge clippers.

Another lily in bloom here now, Lilium 'Arabesque'. The lily is next to my porch steps which serve as my main entrance so going out and in is a special treat.

Claire

• Related Discussions

Show us your gardens - a photo thread - April 2015

Q

Comments (32)
    Welcome to the forum, Debra!, nice new growth in your garden - looks like Spring! It's daffodil time here too, just not as far along as Steve's. This is the view from my kitchen window today: I cut the grasses just in time - the Jetfire daffodils are blooming in between two grass clumps, and you can barely see the Toby the First daffodils in the back behind the pierises. N. 'Jetfire' does very well in my garden. I planted these years ago and they keep coming back and multiplying. N. 'Toby the First' blooms are fading out as they always do. From a different angle the Toby the First daffodils are behind Pieris 'Little Heath' in bloom. Pieris 'Karenoma' is in full bloom. Other pierises not yet. Blue scillas are in full bloom now. Scilla siberica 'Spring Beauty'. This is one of the few flowers that I consider to be truly blue, not purple. White scillas are beginning to bloom. This one appeared in a new spot, not planted by me. And the first Lemon Glow daffodil is blooming by the concrete foundation, much earlier than the others down by the road. This one will also fade out to pale yellow. Claire edit note: You may be asking why I planted the Toby the First daffodils so far behind all the big stuff. Well, actually, that was once the front of the garden - I just kept sticking more and more plants in front of the daffodils because I didn't have room anywhere else.
    ...See More

Show Us Your Gardens - A photo Thread - July 2015 Part II

Q

Comments (39)
    Molie, I have a few white daylilies, but 'Light the Way' is really quite stunning. I also love 'Delia O'Brian Brown'. Steve, I can smell those lilies through the screen! And I'm sneezing! LOL! I really love the look of lilies, but I'm so allergic to them. Tried them for a couple years but just had too many issues. Then the beetles came.......then I really gave up. Will have to continue to enjoy your great photos! Isn't Marie's garden awesome?! I'm so glad Barb took pics while we were there. One of those gardens that is just so much fun to stroll around and find all the cool stuff planted. Such a wide variety. Claire, my viburnum was flowering beautifully, until they all started to turn brown, shrivel up and fall off. So no berries for me this year. I was just happy that the shrub appears to be OK. I was a little worried when the flowers were giving it up. I really like that carefree delight rose. Soooo pretty. Rooguchi clematis has been a blooming powerhouse for weeks. It doesn't show much sign of slowing down yet. Mohawk viburnum with its beautiful berry display. I love the way they change colors over time. Sorry for the blurry photo. I really need to ditch my point and shoot and go back to my D-SLR. But you get the idea. It's loaded with berries.....and the birds and critters never eat them. The daylily bed never disappoints. Delphiniums are now all cut down in cottage area. Hoping for a repeat bloom this fall.
    ...See More

Shows Us Your Gardens - a Photo Thread - November 2015

Q

Comments (38)
    Took these today. It's been mild so far, but somehow I am guessing that things will be very different in a month or two...... The little red mums come back year after year, but the daffodils sprouting surprised me. The large-pad prickly pear cactus is loaded with fruit now. The pads are 10 inches long and the fruits are about 5. There are two photos of my yellow Knockout rose, still with a few flowers and one shows the hips. The foliage of the oak-leaf hydrangea is always a great color in fall. The last one is a mum that I've had for years. It blooms early, thrives on neglect, and best of all has a very large flower for a hardy mum, about 4-5 inches in diameter. Not shown are my camellia Snow Flurry (but posted in another post here) and the lavender, still going string, and a few flowers on my ice plants (delosperma).
    ...See More

Show Us Your Landscape and Gardens - A Photo Thread - August 2022

Q

Comments (34)
    Babs, I think you are right - they should be all set now if we don't have a heat wave and drought the rest of the Fall. [g] No, I never get concerned when they report possible flooding because we don't seem to be in an area that gets that. I've lived here for 30+ years and never saw water even collect in the street. I'm very thankful about that. I did see a weather report warning of flash flooding yesterday, but I never pay attention to that. There is a community about 4 exits down the highway from here that gets their downtown flooded pretty frequently in a heavy rain, because they are in a low lying area. But as far as a river overflowing it's banks 2 towns north of us there is a river that overflows it's banks and floods neighborhoods, so I hope they haven't had that problem. We'll have to see what the news has to say by the time all the rain stops. And in NH they have that issue in neighborhoods along the main river that runs through the state. We have family that just moved to NH, but thankfully, not along the banks of that river and they are on a lot that is the high point of the neighborhood, so that works out very well. How about where you are - anyone here that is affected by flash flooding?
    ...See More
  • homegrowninthe603
    8 years ago

Well La-Dee-Da! I posted a picture. Maybe we are back to normal (she said with caution). Above is Monarda "Raspberry Wine" and Fennel, looking out toward the vegetable gardens.

Below is Daylily "Dark Eyed Magic"

Blue balloonflower (Platycodon)

One of the first sunflowers to bloom, "Chianti"

Susan

• Steve Massachusetts
    8 years ago

Love that sunflower, Susan. I planted one from seed, but it's not blooming yet. Not too much that's new in bloom. I'm waiting for a few things still.

Hibiscus 'Kopper King' I think the name refers to the foliage.

Dahlia 'Binky'

This Hummingbird Moth really like Buddliea 'Miss Ruby'

Hosta Fragrant Queen

I know everyone has a plant or bloom that stops them in their tracks when they walk by. This one does that for me. Hemerocallis 'Ego'

Rudbeckia 'Goldstrum'

Steve

• defrost49
    8 years ago

Wonder photos. I especially love homegrown's angle thru the Monarda. I keep saying I'm going to take photos but then the sun is too bright and I'm too dirty and tired. Re-doing the kidney shaped bed. I thought if I took some good photos, I could see where things need to be changed rather than just plunking new purchases anywhere there's space.

• moliep
    8 years ago

Love 'Ego' Steve .. one I'll have to look up and your Dahlia 'Binky'. I think I've asked you once before if you ever post long views of your gardens? That's something I'd like to see.

Claire, I'm jealous of your stately 'Arabesque'... my two lilies are just tired brown sticks.

Sped, was your lovely pink nasturtium grown from seed? I really like that watermelon pink.

This is the time of year when many of my plantings have given up the ghost from the heat in our sunny back yard. And like defrost, I find that gardening this particular August is a drag on my body. Instead of reaching for a camera, I'm reaching for a drink.

Molie

8 years ago

Pretty phlox, spedigrees!

The backlit sunflower is lovely, Susan, and that's a great shot of the hummingbird moth, Steve.

Ceratostigma plumbaginoides (I wish it had another shorter name besides leadwort) has started blooming. It's one of the few 'blue' flowers that really is blue, at least to my eyes.

Juniper 'Grey Owl' has gray-blue berries that don't really show up on a long shot.

closer view:

And the doublefile viburnum berries are turning black. The catbirds and cardinals appreciate the ripe berries.

Claire

• spedigrees z4VT
    8 years ago

Claire, I adore your Arabesque lilies. I purchased a single plant decades ago and it was lovely all summer long, but didn't survive the winter. Your photos make me think that I should give this beautiful lily another chance!

Molie, yes all my annuals were grown from seed, but my nasturtiums are about 10th generation seeds gathered each summer from the last generation. I think they originated from a packet of seeds bought at a hardware store long ago. I get all sorts of variations, my favorite being a mix of orange and yellow that resemble a watercolor picture where the paints have run together. There are a lot of pale yellows and pale pinks amongst the yellow, orange, and deep reds every year.

Steve, that photo of the hummingbird moth on the Buddliea is a masterpiece! Just beautiful!

Susan, the sight of your red sunflower makes me think I should buy more seeds. I had red sunflowers (a slightly more red and less crimson than yours) one year and then the saved seeds either did not reproduce or had morphed via cross pollination into the plain yellow sunflower variety. I did love them though, the one summer they lasted.

My landscape is looking rather dried out right now. I agree with you, Molie, that this time of year the novelty of gardening has been replaced by the desire to just chill out with a glass of wine and turn a blind eye to weeds that need trimming or pulling.

• moliep
    8 years ago

Ha! So true, Sped. We took our glasses to the patio down by the river last night and when I walked by the weeds, I heard them say, "We won again!"

• PRO
    Oliver Nurseries
    8 years ago

Just a handful of shots from the nursery on this beautiful August morning.

• Marie Tulin
    8 years ago

Hi "Oliver"

Are you posting as a commercial entity?. If so, sorry but that is not allowed on Gardenweb. Please stop posting otherwise we'll have to notify the website moderators, if someone hasn't already done that.

• Steve Massachusetts
    8 years ago

Molie asked for some "long" views of my garden. So I took some photos today of larger sections of the garden. It just reminds me of how bad I am at design. Like most plant geeks I tend to buy the plant first and then decide later where I can fit it in. Yikes. Here goes.

The East side of my house/yard is very narrow. There's a six foot fence, but since the neighbor parks a large white trailer there, I'm in the process of planting for more privacy. Yes, I need to mow.

I've only been seriously gardening since I retired in 2010 ( almost everything you see was put in during that time), so I've planted one side of the front walk, but not the other. The plants are Hydrangea Limelight, Pennisetum Karly Rose, and dwarf Pennisetum 'Piglet'.

I really struggled with this area for several years. Finally I decided to plant this south facing slope to the street with grasses, Rudbeckia, Nepeta and leadwort. Please ignore the crabgrass.

This is the white garden and I'm pretty pleased with it. I lost an 18' Rose of Sharon last winter and a great deal of shade, so the Hostas are cooking, but that gave me the space to plant a Stewartia. Those tall white things are Lily Siberia (about 8' high).

The back deck and the deck garden. My brother built the pergola. There used to be a 27,000 gallon above ground pool here. What a monstrosity it was.

The back of the property is dominated by 80' oaks and an enormous granite rock. This is the view from the top of the Rock looking down.

This is my work area. The Hostas in pots are all breeding stock and I make crosses every morning.

Steve

8 years ago

Very nice garden, Steve, you're really taking advantage of your retirement time! The "enormous granite rock" intrigues me (I love enormous granite rocks). Have you done (or are you planning to do) any special plantings around the rock?

Claire

• moliep
    8 years ago

Steve, thanks for finally posting these long views. Your gardens look amazing ... and it's been so hot and dry. There is so much I like about what you've done, and I'm especially glad to see hosta plantings in their "homes" in your gardens.

For me, the two large hosta on the east side are strong focal points. The various shades of green and the textures work so well there ... it doesn't seem that "small" to me. I wish I had the room for larger hosta plants in our tiny yard.

I like your practical solutions on the south-side garden ... those plantings should stand up well to a lack of rain. You're probably getting some today.

I like the view from the large boulder down to the gardens, although I'm sure looking down from those decks gives a great perspective of the whole yard. You are lucky to have such a great outdoor area for gardening, eating, and viewing your place!

The white garden is striking... you should post again when the Stewartia is in bloom. And finally, what's the tall grass in the front?

Molie

• Steve Massachusetts
    8 years ago

Thanks, Claire and Molie. The tall grass in the front of the white garden pic is Miscanthus variegatus. Not expensive and quite common. I think I saw it at the Tower Hill plant sale and decided it would work well in that garden. The first winter I had it, I thought it had died. There was literally one blade of live grass coming out of a dead clump. Needless to say it has since thrived.

Here's a photo of the huge granite rock. It's dominated by 80' oaks and I've begun to plant in the crevices.

Steve

8 years ago

Excellent, Steve! The hostas look just right there, as if they always wanted to live in a rock garden (a really big rock garden).

Claire

• lucyd_58
    8 years ago

Steve, Your gardens are gorgeous!

8 years ago

Yesterday I removed a patch of wild blackberries that were taking over a section of woods across the street. After I finished I noticed some Indian Pipes that were growing under the blackberries. I don't know how I managed not to step on them while I was stomping around pulling and dragging blackberry plants. Or maybe there had been hundreds there and I just missed stomping on these few.

This clump looks like I might have given it a glancing blow.

I don't see these often - it's been several years since I saw the last ones. Maybe I should clear woods more often (except that I'm more likely to find poison ivy than Indian Pipes).

Claire

• moliep
    8 years ago

Claire, thanks for the views of Indian Pipes... I had those at my first home, surrounded by woods. I actually loved the looks of their startling creamy whiteness peeking through the old brown leaves.

Steven, I'm glad you posted a photo of the area of huge rocks ... love how you created smaller pocket gardens under the tree (presents from the glaciers)! We both loves rocks and have actually purchased some for our gardens.... kind of embarrassing to say. In my younger years, I was rolling those things from one part of our yard to another. My first home was in a very ledge-filled, rocky area. I miss those rocks!

• Steve Massachusetts
    8 years ago

Indian Pipes are really cool plants. They are herbaceous perennials, not fungi. They get their food, not from the roots of trees, but from the mychorhizae that are associated with those roots. In other words the fungal mychorhizae get food from the trees and the Indian Pipes get it from them. They're parasites.

More pics from today.

Hosta seedling flowers with a little bit of green in the petals.

The roses are having another round. Can Can.

Orange Zinnia

Dahlia 'Cornell'

Dahlia 'Moonstruck'

Steve

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Steve, I am delighted to see the long views of your gardens. I particularly like the bed that's on the slope down to the street which has lots of texture, color and blooms, but all of them look wonderful. It's nice to see the source of your close-ups in context.

Sorry for starting this thread and then dropping the ball. We have been without an internet connection for most of the month and won't be back up and running for another couple of weeks. Right now I am using someone else's.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    8 years ago

Steve, that 'Ego' sure is a show stopper, and so are your gardens! WOW! Thanks for posting those longer views.

8 years ago

I like the hosta seedling flower with the hint of green in the petals, Steve, that's a lovely color combination.

Not quite in my garden but not in the house either - some of the houseplants that are outside for the summer are blooming.

Clivia 'Golden Dragon' which never blooms in the winter. It always waits until it goes out on the deck and blooms in July or August.

And one of the house sansevierias is blooming by the porch steps.

Claire

• Steve Massachusetts
    8 years ago

Yesterday we had an all day drizzle. Great for the plants and it also left water droplets on them. Picture taking opportunity.

Easy Elegance Rose 'Sweet Fragrance'

Foliage on Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy'

Rose 'Can Can'

An end shot of a Pennisetum seed head.

This is Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Red Head'

A friend of mine saw these growing last summer at Tower Hill and liked them. She grew them from seed this year and gave me a few plants. It's a strange plant. Leonotis leonuris, Lion's Ear.

Steve

8 years ago

That was a wonderful all day rain here too. Beautiful pics, Steve - the Lion's Ear looks more like caterpillars than flowers (especially nice caterpillars).

Signs of late summer:

The white-flowered hostas are beginning to bloom (derivatives of Hosta plantaginea I think).

Hosta 'Royal Standard' by the porch

Hosta 'Royal Standard' again by the porch steps
    Hosta 'Stained Glass' (first flower on the new plant)
    Hydrangea 'Blue Billow' is now pink by the Hosta 'Blue Angel'.
    and the White Wood Asters are beginning to bloom, here by the hydrangea.

and by a hosta 'Guardian Angel'. Soon they'll be almost everywhere.

The sedums are beginning to get interesting as they turn pink. The bees aren't on them yet (florets aren't open).

I'm waiting for asters and goldenrod and Sweet Autumn Clematis to start.

Claire

8 years ago

oops, forgot the late daylily, Hemerocallis 'Challenger'.

Claire

• spedigrees z4VT
    8 years ago

I just wanted to remark how I enjoyed the wide view photos of your landscape, Steve. You have a lovely home and a veritable garden paradise!

Claire, this must be a prime year for Indian pipes. I was replacing an old fence that runs alongside our wooded area, and I found a whole city full of them. I had to tread carefully amidst the rocks and leaf litter to avoid stepping on them.

Every year when I see photos of sedums, or the actual flowers in gardens, I'm tempted to add some here. Some year I will!

This is just one of the late summer views of my untended gardens. (I need to do some serious weeding, but have spent most of my energies on the fencing project.)

Also here is a photo of my summer squash on the left, cucumber on the right, and cross-pollinated mutants in the middle. Planting the squash 100 feet apart from the cukes didn't stop them from merging, but they did taste like cucumbers so I turned them into pickles despite their odd appearance!

8 years ago

spedigrees: I didn't know that squash and cucumbers will hybridize! (shows that I'm not a vegetable gardener). It's interesting that they taste like cucumbers, not squash. I wonder what would happen if you saved the seeds and grew them..... whether you would eventually get back some squash and some cucumber lookalikes.

Claire

• suzabanana (6b Boston/N. Shore)
    8 years ago

That's strange. I had always read that cross-pollination of cucurbits only matters if saving seeds but doesn't change the existing fruit. I grow them next to each other (cukes, zucs, pumpkins and summer squash) and have never had that happen!

8 years ago

That makes sense, suzabanana. Maybe spedigrees was using saved seeds that had already been cross-pollinated?

Claire

8 years ago

That's entirely possible. That will also happen with pepper varieties (i.e. if you grow jalapenos and bell peppers and save the seeds, you might get spicy bell pepper the following year) and I think brassicas (cauliflower-broccoli anyone?) but I'm not too sure. I don't do much seed-saving beyond tomatoes.

• moliep
    8 years ago

Off topic here, suzabanana, but how do you save tomato seeds and how successful are you are regrowing the same varieties? We've been eating some great heirloom tomatoes (from an organic grower) that I'd love to have next year.

Milie

8 years ago

It's very easy! Tomatoes are mostly self-pollinated, so you'll most likely grow what you've saved. I've never had one turn out different. I don't buy tomato seeds (or seedlings really) anymore, I just save seeds of fruit I enjoy :)

I've been using this method for years:

With a spoon or your well-washed
    fingers scoop out the seeds and their gelatinous "goo" into
    a clean cup or container. Add a couple of tablespoons of water to the
    seeds. Cover the container with a piece of plastic-wrap and then poke
    the plastic-wrap with a paring knife or pen point to put a small hole
    in it...this is to allow for air-transpiration. (A little fresh air
    needs to get in and out of the cup to help foster fermentation.)

Place
    the container of seeds in a warm location; a sunny windowsill or the
    top of the refrigerator are both excellent sites to place the
    container of seeds. Now Mother Nature will take over and begin to
    ferment the seed and water mixture. This takes about two or three
    days. Each night remove the plastic-wrap, stir the seed and water
    mixture, and then replace the plastic-wrap, if you use a new sheet of
    plastic-wrap then don't forget to put a small hole in it for
    air-transpiration. The top of the liquid will look "scummy"
    when the fermentation process has separated the "goo" from
    the seeds. It also helps destroy many of the possible tomato diseases
    that can be harbored by seeds.

Take
    the container of fermented seeds to the sink and with a spoon
    carefully remove the scummy surface. Then pour the container's
    contents into a fine kitchen sieve and rinse the seeds with water
    several times...stir them while they're in the sieve to assure that
    all surfaces are thoroughly rinsed. Give a few sharp taps to the
    sieve to help remove as much loose water as possible from the seeds.

Line
    an open plate with a piece of waxed paper or a large automatic-drip
    coffee filter. Place the rinsed seeds onto the wax paper or coffee
    filter and spread them about so they are in a single layer. Place the
    plate in a safe location where the seeds can dry for a few days. Stir
    the seeds a few times during the drying process to assure that all
    their surfaces are evenly dry. Spread them out again into a single
    layer after each time you've stirred them. Tomato seeds are thick and
    can take up to a week to dry thoroughly. If you're having a rainy
    week that drying time may lengthen by a few days. Store in an envelope or ziploc bag.

• moliep
    8 years ago

Thanks so much, suzabanana, for that detailed explanation of how you harvest tomato seeds! I take it that these can be easily stored over the winter until next planting season.... probably in an envelope is best?

Molie

8 years ago

Yes. They can be stored for a couple years. I use a small ziploc bag but an envelope is also fine. Just keep away from heat and moisture. I write with a sharpie the name of the tomato and date, but even better would be a photo print out of the tomato!

• spedigrees z4VT
    8 years ago

Actually no, the cucumber and summer squash seeds were not saved (by me) seeds, but came from an organic seed place, as I had not grown either in some years.

It is interesting that many people have asked me what would happen if I planted the hybridized seeds. I have no idea what the answer would be!

Actually hybridized mixes do occur the same year. The flowers need pollinating between their own flowers in order to develop fruits, and if pollen from another compatible species gets mixed in, the fruit will develop accordingly. My neighbor one year had a family of pumpkin/winter squash fruits that were the result of winter squash in his garden mixing with a hill of pumpkins accidentally sprung from Halloween pumpkins discarded the previous fall in a nearby weedy patch. They probably weren't edible but they made interesting curiosities on his porch railing that autumn!

By the end of summer, my red, orange, and yellow nasturtium blossoms have always given way to many multi-toned specimens, as if nature took a watercolor paintbrush to them and painted streaks of orange on yellow and red on orange. When I plant the saved seeds the following year, the blooms revert to separate red, orange, and yellow blooms. These are seeds I've saved for some 8 or 10 generations now.

It is remarkable how many sources on the web deny that cucumbers will cross pollinate with zucchinis or summer squash. All I can say is come look at my cucumbers with their yellow coloring and crooknecks, and tell me where, if not from their neighboring heirloom summer squash, these genes arose!

The mysteries of plant biology!

• moliep
    8 years ago

Thanks, Dee. Very interesting.

• barrett001
    8 years ago

Absolutely fascinating discussion of hybridizing curcubit veg and saving tomato seeds! Thanks to the last (8 or so?) posters for all this valuable info!

8 years ago

I hate to break the string of vegetable growing tidbits, but today I found a Ladyslipper across the street and I wanted to share on this last day of August.

I've been clearing wild grape, briars, and poison ivy from a woody area on our property where some old trees had fallen.
    In a spot that wasn't too badly overgrown I found this plant which
    apparently was happy enough to flower (now gone by and seed pod
    forming) even though it was covered with assorted vines. The Name That Plant forum identified it as a Cypripedium acaule, AKA Pink Ladyslipper.

I'm now trying to figure out how to keep it happy (I won't move it). I'm just hoping that the vine removal didn't damage the Ladyslipper. I cut out the grapes and briars but pulled out the poison ivy with the roots wherever possible.

Claire

• moliep
    8 years ago

Wow, Claire... what a find! And also a great way to end the August thread. I'm so glad you're going to protect it and keep it hidden. Perhaps there will be a colony here in years to come. These like very specific growing conditions near to specific tree growth... I can't remember exactly but do recall a guided workshop through the woods where its habitat was discussed in detail. We took a convoluted path to the Lady's-slipper grove, which made it impossible for us to visit again on our own.

8 years ago

The whole cross-pollination thing is obviously not clear cut. I've hand pollinated pumpkin, summer squash and zucchini with each other and never had the fruit turn into anything other than the mother plant. Crazy!

Clarie, I am drooling over your Cypripedium find! In the winter months I play with orchids in my sunroom. I keep thinking about trying to make these work in my outdoor beds, but the folks in the Orchid forum continue to discourage me :(

• spedigrees z4VT
    8 years ago

I just wanted to add my congratulation on your remarkable find, Claire. What a treasure that pink lady's slipper is! I remember back in the early 1950's walking with my grandparents in the woods on their property in Reading, Vermont and seeing pink lady's slippers growing wild there. I haven't seen one since.

It is on my to-do list to buy some domestically raised pink lady's slippers, trillium, and jack-in-the-pulpits and see if they will thrive in the shady areas near our brook.

8 years ago

From what I'm reading, the problem with growing Cypripedium acaule is partly the required soil (dry, acidic, well-drained in pine/hardwood forests) but a big issue is the roots. Apparently the ladyslipper roots are spread out on the surface of the soil and don't penetrate significantly down into the soil. The roots are covered with leaf litter or such but not deeply, and they can spread two to four feet outwards from the mature plant.

When people collect them and stick them into a pot, even if it's good soil, they essentially bury and kill the roots and thus kill the whole plant.

Some references:
    Does the Lady Slipper Fit Your Garden?
    Planting & Caring for Lady’s - slipper Orchids

I asked a few questions of a Cypripedium expert on the Name That Plant forum and got some very good advice.
    Woodland plant in Plymouth, MA

Now I just have to get the plant through the winter and to come back in the spring....

Claire

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    8 years ago

Lots of stuff still blooming. The hibiscus were so loaded up with buds this year they just keep going and going and going.......I really like the spent flowers from today on this one. Looks like a little fairy skirt.

Chelone with sweet autumn clematis and a batch of anemone beyond those. The bees are in heaven.

And more for the bees. This heptacodium is a superhighway. The buzzing is so loud in this tree. For some reason I've never really registered the scent of the flowers. I was working under the tree the other day and realized it is oriental lily with an undertone of hot dog! Quite an interesting combo!

The bees are also all over the sedum throughout the yard. I'm not sure about everyone else's experience this year, but in my garden the sedum are HUGE. I've never seen them this big.

This lespedeza is in way too much shade, but it's so big and flowers every year so I've left it there. It would probably be a bit more vase-shaped if it were in full sun. As it is I have to stake it up a bit to get it off the ground, but it's worth it. It flowers for a very long time.

I thought this dwarf pyracantha was a gonner after this past winter, but it did recover nicely and even flowered a bit giving me some electric orange berries.

Oakleaf hydrangea is getting its nice pink tones.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lots of blooming color, T2D. I particularly like the Hibiscus and the Lespedeza.

"Now I just have to get the plant through the winter and to come back in the spring...." Relax, Claire. A plant that size is several years old and has been doing just fine on its own for a bunch of years and unless something caused major disturbance it will be fine. IME where Cypripedium acaule is happy, it's happy. One of my neighbors spotted a place on our property where there must be close to 30 in a 10'x10' space. Since you have the one, if the bees do their thing, you may well find some more in additional years. The site obviously has what the plant needs, and your job will be to sit back and enjoy it.