SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

New GTKY Kickstart

Funkyart
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I thought it might be nice to do a new get-to-know-you thread to get us all a little more engaged and to allow new posters to introduce themselves. Nothing too personal here.. but I do look forward to learning a little more about each of you!

1. How long were you a member of GW.. or are you new to our community?

2. How do you take your coffee? Sweet and fluffy? Minimalist black? or "None, thanks!"

3. What color is your bedroom?

4. What is the coziest or most relaxing room of your house?

5. Do you garden as well as decorate?

6. Does your décor extend to your outdoor space?

7. Fresh or artificial flowers and plants inside the house?

8. Where did/do you splurge in your home? And for yourself?

9. Lip gloss, lipstick or chapstick?

1. Favorite comfort food?

2. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal?

Comments (52)

• bpath
    9 years ago

1. How long were you a member of GW.. or are you new to our community?Been on GW for several years...and too many minutes a day lol!

2. How do you take your coffee? Sweet and fluffy? Minimalist black? or "None, thanks!"2% milk in the morning, black if I have some in the afternoon or with dessert. And a Mocha Lite Frappucino any time!

3. What color is your bedroom?I don't know, the PO painted it and it goes with my comforter, so it stayed! It's kind of a cafe au lait?

4. What is the coziest or most relaxing room of your house?We all have our favorites, but I guess the kitchen is the coziest. The living room is good, too. My favorite chairs, the piano, the TV, and the cat stalking the deer out the bay window.

5. Do you garden as well as decorate?Not as much as in our last house where we had lots of sun. Here there is too much shade and tree roots to contend with.

6. Does your décor extend to your outdoor space?Well, in that it's a lot of hand-me-downs, yes :)

7. Fresh or artificial flowers and plants inside the house?Ha ha, both. Well, the live plants aren't so alive anymore. The live orchid is dormant, but the fake one (that really does fool people) is thriving.

8. Where did/do you splurge in your home? And for yourself?Splurge? Hmm. I think I splurge on my kids. And on getting the RainX on the car windshield.

9. Lip gloss, lipstick or chapstick?Chapstick, maybe gloss, maybe lipstick. I like those little Burt's Bees, are they gloss or lipstick?

1. Favorite comfort food? Stouffer's Spinach Souffle. Yum. On a healthier note, my crock pot beef stew with fresh bread.
    2. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal? Well, I'm about to go to the grocery store with my menus for the week, but I haven't looked at it yet.
  • amj0517
    9 years ago

Bpathome- haha on the rainx!

• Related Discussions

GTKY - Random questions.

Q

Comments (44)
    Enjoying GTKY, OK, I'll play, even though I'm a marketingresearchaphobe... 1. Coffee, tea or soda? Coffee only with Bailey's, Sweet Tea, please mam and Dr Pepper, the one in the 8oz bottle made with Imperial Pure Cane Sugar instead of icky corn syrup, phffthhtthhhh! 2. Do you live in an urban or rural area? Suburban, planned, golf course community owned by the city, complete with "experimental outdoor mall", LOL! I really like it though. 3. What was the last item you purchased other than food? A new everyday plastic pitcher and Pinelogs (they're all I can use due to DH's allergies). 4. Do you subscribe to a daily newspaper? No, gave that up a few years ago. Hated to do it since I'm a print designer, but it was a matter of economics, not principles. 5. Who called you on the phone last? My sweet friend, Marti. 6. What is your favorite TV show? Hell's Kitchen 7. What is your favorite TV news source? Fox, local or FNC. 8. Credit or Debt? Debit for the most part. 9. Paper, plastic or do you bring your own bags? Own bags (one of my stores now sports a reminder painted on the corner of parking spaces to remind you of your bags, LOL!) 10. What Thrift store do you usually donate to and why? Goodwill if I deliver. SA if I want them to pick up. 11. When you shop in person, do you usually frequent the mall, specialty boutiques or ??? Specialty boutiques, rarely the mall. 12. What is your favorite online shopping source? Amazon 13. Clothes, shoes or house stuff? Duh, house stuff, LOL! I finally gave in somewhat this winter and bought a few clothes/shoes/"foundations"... 14. Hair. Home dye, professional dye or natural? Professional dye'n chisel ;-) 15. Do you keep a journal? Have one, don't keep, should have been a NY resolution, ha! 16. Do you have a bucket list? I joke about it from time to time, but do I really have a running tally? Nope. 17. What is your least favorite chore? Toilets, I just won't do 'em, 'nuf said! 18. What book are you reading? Just finished Rainwater by Sandra Brown (smarmy love story, but interesting because I love depression era novels), just started Witch & Wizard by James Patterson, my first JP novel, jury's still out.
    ...See More

gtky

Q

Comments (25)
    1. What are you wearing? ~ light blue jean capris, sandals, white sleeveless tee, pale yellow zip-up sweatshirt-type jacket. 2. What have you eaten today? ~ a breakfast burrito, fresh fruit, yogurt, black coffee 3. Do you like Daylight Savings Time? ~ no strong feelings one way or the other 4. Do you have plans for this weekend? ~ paint powder room; plant wild flower seeds out on property; work in garden a bit 5. If you had to eat at a fast food restaurant for every meal for a week, what restaurant would you choose? ~ maybe Taco Cabana, as I love Mexican /New Mexican foods 6. Where do you spend most of your extra/fun money? ~ during the Fall & Winter: art and decorative things for my home; Spring & Summer: flowers and things for my gardens 7. Which flavor of ice-cream do you prefer? ~ DH makes a to-die-for fresh strawberry ice-cream, but only a couple times a year. The rest of the time, my fav is a good Rocky Road 8. Do you like your handwriting? ~ Yes, I inherited my mother's handwriting and have always gotten compliments on it. Unfortunately, my DD did not get that gene. 9. Can you water or snow ski? Are you good at it? ~ Yes, both . . . and yes What is the longest car trip you've ever taken? ~ one year when the kids were 13 & 3 years old, we bought a VHS player for our SUV and took a summer road trip from our home in New Mexico, through Phoenix to Morro Bay and finally Carmel-By-The-Sea. After a few days we headed up the coast highway to San Francisco. A few days later, on to a rented cabin on the eastern shore of Lake Tahoe. Next, on to Las Vegas (no shows; no gambling; DS & DH wanted to experience some alien adventure ride there) , Next, down through Arizona's Painted Desert and back home to New Mexico. The VHS player was both a blessing and a curse, as my kids were both more interested in the movies than in the gorgeous scenery, but DH & I loved that trip. Lynn
    ...See More

gtky

Q

Comments (23)
    1. What are you wearing right now? Black dress pants, tan sweater, my fave argyle socks (at work). What have you eaten today or plan on eating? Plan on salad for lunch and cauliflower pasta for dinner. 3. What is your weather like today? Ugg! (Boston) Kinda overcast - AGAIN. It's *slightly* better today, but still no where near what June 25th SHOULD be! 4. Do you have anything special or important planned for this week, and if so, what? Trying to get some office work done before I'm off next week for my husband's shoulder surgery. 5. If you could sit and gossip with one famous person, either from past or present, who would it be? I'm not talking about Big Brains, I'm talking about someone you think would be chatty, gossipy and fun. :) Well, it would have to be someone from the past, I think, as I don't much care about today's gossip. I'd love to have met Isabella Stewart Gardner. She had a real reputation for eccentricity. Plus, I'd ask her what she thought about the theft. :) Where do you prefer to get your news from? Internet and talk radio. 7. For you women, do you wear a bra when you're home, knowing no one is coming over? hee Sheesharee - ditto! I am almost ALWAYS wearing one. Don't know why, it's just what I've always done. 8. What plant in your garden is thriving this summer? My son's green beans he planted in school and brought home. Seriously, he doesn't get his green thumb from his Mama, that's for sure. 9. Where did you get the best hamburger you've ever eaten from a restaurant or a fast food place? Do not include homemade burgers. From a little restaurant in NH that I cannot remember the name of, when we were on vacation. 10. What do you see out the window closest to where you're sitting? The Mystic River (from my office).
    ...See More

Lazy Sunday GTKY

Q

Comments (22)
    Well, right now it's a lazy Tuesday evening and I'm trying to put off ironing DH's dress shirt for work tomorrow as long as possible, so I hope I can still "play" ;^D 1. What are you wearing? Jeans, a black, long-sleeve tee shirt and black leather boots. I'm going to change into my pjs in just a few minutes. 2. What have you eaten today? the usual healthful breakfast; a fabulous oven roasted veggies in a mushroom broth over grilled polenta and topped with a small scoop of whipped goat cheese for lunch ( at a restaurant in town with my best friend); a bowl of Wheat Chex in skim milk for dinner, as DH and DD weren't here and I was feeling lazy. 3. Are you reading any good books? If so, what? I'm reading a biography of the current Dali Lama, written by a close family friend of his 4. What was the best part of the past week? Meeting up with my best friend for lunch today in town . . .fun! 5. What did you do growing up that got you into trouble? I was a tomboy. Once when I was 12, my then best friend Barbie and I decided one cold winter Saturday morning to try and raft across the melting local skating pond on an a big "ice flow", using broom sticks to push us along. The pond was only about 24" deep, made by the local parents in a vacant play lot. Needless to say, it didn't go as planned. We both fell in pretty quickly and had to bike home soaking wet and icy. My parents were so ticked off at me, but were kind of used to Barbie's and my crazy stunts by then. They still grounded me for a few days, though. I could write a book on the stupid things Barbie and I did as kids. We're both very lucky that we never broke anything or got killed! 6. Have you started any Christmas shopping? Yes, but I wish that I was further along than I am 7. What's the worst gift you've ever given but didn't mean to? a yellow sweats outfit to a good friend who, it turned out, looked really, really awful in yellow! 8. Why were you given your name? My parents just like the name, Lynn. I wasn't named for anyone 9. Are you looking forward to cold temperatures? I'm looking forward to cooler Autumn temps, but not below freezing yet! If your TV is on, no matter who's watching it, what show is airing? the local evening news is just now starting. I'm a bit of a news junkie Lynn
    ...See More
  • MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

12 years. In 2003 I was researching front load washing machines in the Laundry forum. I've since changed my screen name.

2. How do you take your coffee? Sweet and fluffy? Minimalist black? or "None, thanks!"

I love really strong coffee with heavy cream and sugar. But I take it with half and half, no sugar with a breakfast blend or sometimes black.

The walls are sage green. I'm about ready to paint it a light gray.

The daybed in my office.

Yes, I'm a pretty good gardener when I'm feeling it.

I dislike outdoor tchotchkes but do like furnished outdoor spaces.

Fresh or dried.

Cookware for the house and clothes for me.

It's a tie between lip gloss and Carmex

Oatmeal, mac&cheese, grill cheese w/ tomato soup, pancakes, broccoli cheese casserole - CARBS!

I think I'll have the leftover hamburger patty. Debating about whether or not I should have a bun. Based on my answer to the last question, I think I'll go without!

• amj0517
    9 years ago

Since 2011, I think.

Hazelnut or French vanilla creamer.

SE dried thyme (but I'm feeling a change in my future... After a few other projects, of course).

Is it bad that I can't think of a cozy place here...? I feel like I'm always tripping over toys (3 kids) or tools (reno projects). Maybe the shower is cozy lol.

Our hope is to build a garden area this spring, so I hope it's successful!

6. Does your décor extend to your outdoor space!

No.

Live plants. Just a few. I get fresh flowers once in a while.

Fresh flowers.

Chapstick or lipstick. My hair always manages to get in the gloss if I wear it.

Homemade Mac n cheese. Anything cheesy.

Oh, I don't know yet. But I better decide soon before the kiddos get home from school.

• fouramblues
    9 years ago

Fun thread! I never knew about Conversations until the move, so I'm grateful for that. This is a fun bunch.

Since 2011, same for houzz.

None, thanks, or only occasionally. It's tea with milk for me.

Don't remember the name, but it's a cozy yellow, sort of chamois.

The family room. Just recovered a chair in there, and now I never want to leave it.

I'll put stuff in and then neglect it. DH does most of the maintenance. Except for my herbs. I'm very good about taking care of my largish herb garden.

Oh, how I wish! But inside furniture that's not hand-me-down is the priority now.

Can I say this out loud? I'm not a big cut fresh flower person, and definitely 'no' to artificial. I have an aloe plant in the kitchen. The rest is outside.

I pretty much don't splurge. Except for the Capital range I bought in the kitchen reno, which I love. Well, I guess the whole reno was a splurge in my book, but it was almost all mid-range, except for the small bumpout.

Chapstick ALL the time, and lipstick only about a half dozen times a year.

Dark chocolate, homemade bread, wine :)

It's leftover night tonight, so arroz con pollo, hamburger with caramelized onions, penne with sausage and spinach...

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I thought it might be nice to do a new get-to-know-you thread to get us all a little more engaged and to allow new posters to introduce themselves. Nothing too personal here.. but I do look forward to learning a little more about each of you!

March of 2013 while researching for my planned kitchen reno.

With a lot of cream, occasionally a tad of raw sugar with it or better yet Café Francais from MH.

off white/beigey

My living room and the library though I love my bedroom too.

No, at least not much. I do plant some containers for the deck and front porch but our soil is red clay and not particularly conducive to gardening.

Not really, we live in a very wooded area and being outdoors is an invitation to becoming snack food for every gnat in the area. We do have a bunch of Adirondack chairs on our deck when the weather gets warmer.

I have a pretty silk arrangement in the bedroom and have been buying fresh flowers once a month or so for the living room.

My kitchen was a bit of a splurge and I adore china. For myself, I love pretty clothes, shoes, and make-up.

Lipstick. My favorite is Clinique.

1. Favorite comfort food? Ice cream
    2. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal? hmmm not sure but probably a frozen dinner :(
  • sas95
    9 years ago

1. How long were you a member of GW?

About 4 years

2. How do you take your coffee?

Iced coffee with milk only, even in the dead of winter.

BM Soft Fern. Just repainted a few months back.

The bedroom right now. Because I'm in love with our new mattress.

We had our yard landscaped a year ago, so I am just starting to learn as I am trying to maintain it. It's harder than I thought, but also more fun than I thought.

Not at all.

1. Fresh or artificial flowers and plants inside the house?

Neither. I don't like artificial and the cats eat the fresh.

I splurge on everything, it seems. I want what I want.

Lipstick with a top coating of gloss.

Bagels, cream cheese and Nova

1. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal?

Lamb sausage with grilled veggies and cous cous.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Thanks for starting this!

Only a couple of years. I started in hostas and moved over to kitchens.

Milk, cream, soy, but lately I'm absolutely addicted to coconut oil!

BM edgecomb grey on the walls and the floor is laundry coloured.

My front living room which is tiny, clean, decorated and has a fireplace. It's cozy and relaxing since it stays clean and doesn't have a TV.

Yes, I have extensive shade gardens and lotsa hosta on a small city lot.

Not at all, that's a project for another year as I've just finished reviving the neglected beds and putting in a paver patio.

Black thumb inside the house! Fresh flowers if anything.

Vintage furniture, wine, eating out, concerts and travel. Definitely not clothes, I dress like a boring hobo.

9. Lip gloss, lipstick or chopstick?

Chapstick, especially since I've got the cold from hell.

Hot and sour soup.

Green curry

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Found GW in 2011 when i googled the granite we had picked out for the kitchen reno. Unfortunately, we had already picked everything out, had the contractor, decided to keep layout as is.....it was too late to take advantage of all the wonderful kitchen wizards on here....I was bummed! I like how it turned out, but always wonder how it might have been different had I fiund GW sooner.

Not a coffee drinker.

Bedroom is pale gray....wish I'd gone deeper...room gets a lot of sun so can withstand more saturated color..looks a little wimpy. DH hates to paint so no plans to change it anytime soon...sigh.

I can't really call any room "cozy" since my style is more contemporary.

I do the decorating, DH does the gardening...he enjoys it, I don't. He likes container gardening more than beds, but maintains the outside.

I don't really decorate the deck other than DH's pots and patio furniture.....we don't spend much time out there...usually too humid.

No artificial flowers. DH is a plant nut, but I can only stand 1-2 plants in a room, any more is just clutter to me. His latest kick is terrariums. I'll buy fresh flowers for the table when we're having company.

I splurged on the kitchen and master bath renos. Lived with builder grade for almost 30 years so was determined to get what I wanted and not settle. Two years ago we also redid the main floor with new furniture and hardwoods. For myself, I probably splurge on makeup and beauty products. Was never much into fashion.

Chapstick, especially in winter. Sometimes lip gloss.

Ice cream!

Dinner tonight....leftover pizza....this also fits in the comfort food category.

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

* Many years, but I can't remember exactly how long

* Black . . . although when I'm out running errands in town, a nice vanilla latte is perfect.

* (LOL) a warm cream, same as every room in our home

* it's a toss-up between our living room and MBR

* Yes, and I'm a Master Gardener, as well

* Absolutely! We have a large covered front portal (porch) that even has a dining room table and chairs (LOL). Two back portals, one covered and one not. Both decorated. And my walled garden, also decorated.

*mainly fresh, but I'm not opposed to good quality artificial ones occasionally

*Our kitchen was a huge splurge. For me? Buying art. And my manicures and pedis

* Lipstick, except that I'm addicted to my Chapstick at night when going to bed

* My homemade chicken noodle soup; a nice cup of hot tea

* My grilled beef and onion patties on lightly toasted and buttered rye bread and topped with provolone cheese and a beer and wild mushroom sauce and then lightly broiled. Love it!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I think I joined GW in 2009.

None, thanks! Tea for me.

BM Icy Morn

Guest bedroom actually, but they are all pretty cozy and relaxing.

Absolutely. Cannot wait to get out in the yard. Started out on the garden side way before the decorating side and still spend more time there.

No.

Fresh flowers always. DH brings me flowers every week.

Art for home, linen sheets for me. ;)

Petroleum jelly

Soup and crusty bread

Beef stew...and crusty bread...maybe just crusty bread...love good European style bread!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lynn, your amped up patty melts sound absolutely wonderful-- I am cooking for a friend who is injured and I am pretty sure her family would love them. I am happy to experiment but would love the recipe for the beer-mushroom sauce if you want to share!!

Thanks everyone for playing along-- it is fun to read all your responses!

• happy2b…gw
    9 years ago

Hi Everyone, I am so glad to meet my garden web friends. I go to the kitchen, home decorating, and the kitchen table forums most often. I peak in at the others from time to time.

1. Luckily, I discovered garden web in 2008 when we were remodeling the kitchen and decorating a second home which we call the Riverhouse. My grandchildren named our primary house the Woodhouse. Not sure why it is the Woodhouse- It does not have wood, siding and while there are trees in the backyard, the house is not really in the woods. The grands named it, so Woodhouse it is. BTW, just before the move to Houzz, I changed my name from river house_designs to happy2b… I felt riverhouse_designs sounded too trade and impersonal.

2. My friends tease that I have a little coffee with my milk. I am not a daily coffee drinker, but nurse a cup of flavored decaf K-cup with lots of milk, all day when I teach. I am a recently retired teacher who loves substitute teaching in two schools where I used to work. If I do have coffee on the mornings I do not work, I have it in a to go cup and nurse it a good part of the day.

3. Um the color of my bedroom-Hard to say- neutral pale yellow- hint of cream and green

4. Probably not the best time to answer this question. Lots of action here at the Woodhouse- refinishing wood floors, removing wallpaper, painting whole house. - a real crazy time here. The dust is a flying! Good times

5. I do some gardening - vegetable garden. I like to dig in the dirt.

6. With exception of some sentimental garden ornaments which belonged to my mother and some blooming pots, the scenery is the decor.

7. During hydrangea season, I fill vases with blooms. I let them dry in place. Since my husband is a fan of artificial but not me, we have one spray of ivy in a brass container atop his armoire.

8. Our second home - the Riverhouse is a splurge- something we didn't need, but wanted, and could not live without now. It is family central - vacation resort for our grown daughters and their families. It is my husband's source of endless ideas and projects to execute. Since my DH is sitting nearby, I asked him about splurge. His response - hiring painting and floor pro's to help with work at the Woodhouse. He is a talented DIY-er, and engineer.

9. Lip gloss, lipstick or chapstick? I use all three but not at same time. Go to colors- pinks

1. Favorite comfort food? ice cream, wonton soup, pot roast, spaghetti and meatballs

2. Tonight's dinner left over pork pernil, peas, salad with goat cheese.

So it took me almost an hour to write this post- former English teacher here- I need to put dinner on the table before bedtime. I am looking forward to getting to know you.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

1. How long were you a member of GW.. or are you new to our community? I think about 10 years. Stumbled upon GW when researching for a kitchen update.

2. How do you take your coffee? Sweet and fluffy? Minimalist black? or "None, thanks!" I just recently learned to drink sweet and fluffy when we got a Keurig. One per day max.

3. What color is your bedroom? SW Mannered Gold

4. What is the coziest or most relaxing room of your house? Our bedroom?

5. Do you garden as well as decorate? I flower garden, DH attempts to veggie garden but loses interest usually mid summer--too much work!

6. Does your décor extend to your outdoor space? Minimal to the deck and front porch

7. Fresh or artificial flowers and plants inside the house? Fresh flowers and houseplants. Have recently been buying orchids for part of the coffee table tablescape

8. Where did/do you splurge in your home? And for yourself? Have recently lost some weight and have sent more $$ on clothes than before. Easy to shop for college aged DD's

9. Lip gloss, lipstick or chapstick? Pale lips, dark hair. I need color to not look dead!

1. Favorite comfort food? Paula Deen's mac n'cheese or some headache inducing fresh yeast product.

2. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal? Omelet

• Irish2
    9 years ago

• Since 2002

• cream only or venti non-fat latte extra hot no foam3. What color is your bedroom?
    • BM bleeker beige

• bedroom I find the white bedding and neutral accessories soothing

• I tend to decorate my window box for the seasons here in New England
    • and I do love my peony bushes/hydrangeas/lillacs6. Does your décor extend to your outdoor space?
    • yes-somewhat
    • 7. Fresh or artificial flowers and plants inside the house?

fresh flowers usually whites or cream colors also real plants

kitchen cookware - handbags & shoes

• MAC or Channel lip pencil/lipstick
    • Favorite comfort food?
    • carbs-usually a pasta bolognese
      breakfast will be a coffee with protein bar
      Comment16BookmarkLike
  • User
    9 years ago
    1. 1. How long were you a member of GW.. or are you new to our community?Officially about seven years, and a lurker a few years prior to signing up.

2. How do you take your coffee? Sweet and fluffy? Minimalist black? or "None, thanks!" Breakfast blend a light tan color, achieved with any white stuff available--- milk, cream, coffeemate, etc. Just no flavored creamer!

3. What color is your bedroom? BM Hawthorne Yellow, such a pretty, happy color. Almost a decade and I am still not tired of it.

4. What is the coziest or most relaxing room of your house? Hard to say. Probably the library.

5. Do you garden as well as decorate? Yes, although I haven been as diligent the past couple of years.

6. Does your décor extend to your outdoor space? Yes! We have a screened porch, two decks and a large patio and all are furnished.

7. Fresh or artificial flowers and plants inside the house? Both, actually. I have two vases of fresh flowers now in the living room and DR and the NDI arrangements look better than real :-)

8. Where did/do you splurge in your home? And for yourself? Services...people to clean, launder and cook, lawn guys and stick pickup guys, handy guy for monthly home maintenance, groomer who comes to the house.

9. Lip gloss, lipstick or chapstick? All three, depending on where I am going and the weather. Fave Chapstick is Nivea, gloss is Philosophy, current lipstick fave is Nars lip colored lipstick (and thanks again Sueb20!)

1. Favorite comfort food? Welch' fruit snacks warmed in the microwave for 7 seconds. Don't judge :-)

2. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal? Just finished a salad, roast chicken with raisins and wild rice. Tomorrow is anybody's guess.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Around 9-10 years on GW.

Not a coffee drinker.

3. What color is your bedroom? Aqua and cream

4. What is the coziest or most relaxing room of your house? hmmm I'm thinking our sunroom, which is used much like a den. Daily.

5. Do you garden as well as decorate? yes

6. Does your décor extend to your outdoor space? yes and I use the same colors of flowers outdoors as you Funky.

7. Fresh or artificial flowers and plants inside the house? Fresh only. Well I do have a bowl full of dried hydrangeas and some moss covered balls

8. Where did/do you splurge in your home? And for yourself? We usually buy what we want, can't really think of any big splurges.

9. Lip gloss, lipstick or chapstick? any or all

1. Favorite comfort food? Cheesy or something sweet

2. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal? We had a sausage casserole, pinto beans and creamed corn.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

I've been a member of GW since 2011 when I started research for our new house. I am a DIY GC so GW has been an unbelievable help. I had to change my name last year to protect the innocent ;)

Dark roast - brewed strong - half&half I have been known to spritz with spray foam (can of whipped cream)

Can't remember the actual name of the bedroom color but it is the exact color of a Wendy's Frosty. The trim is Behr Cottage White. The carpet is white. This is the old farmhouse. The new farm house has BM Iced Cube Silver with Simply White trim. Carpet will also be white.

Yes my bedroom seems to be the coziest. But the dining room is the least cozy - have to work on that.

My family's business was a commercial vegetable growing farm. I was literally raised in a greenhouse. I was also a master gardener and am more comfortable decorating outside than inside. If we ever get this house finished I will garden again! When I was a little girl, my mothers hobby was a three acre cutting garden - She would do wedding flowers for very few but very lucky brides. Of course there are plants and cut flowers. I have a 40 year old Christmas cactus.

My new house is my splurge. Well the new barn for my horses will be the splurge.

Vicks

Pasta

Oatmeal - coffee with spray foam

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

I joined 4 yrs ago when we bought our current house and I was looking for a wall oven that did not have noisy fan. Ended up with no wall ovens at all, and a LaCanche.

I never acquired a taste for coffee; i find it acrid and highly unpleasant to taste and smell.

A custom mix of American Clay to look like a plaster version of a Farrow and Ball off white. To most normal people, it's white.

4. What is the coziest or most relaxing room of your house? A tiny little room off of the living room. It is shaped like a little train car, with clerestory windows on either side. There is a daybed in there. At one end is a 1/2 bathroom with a big round window. The views of the trees when you lay on the day bed are so nice. The room is off all the way to one end of our rambling home, very quiet and private and warm.

5. Do you garden as well as decorate? Not literally as in perform the labor. ; ) But yes as in select plant material and vegetables to grow, etc.

6. Does your décor extend to your outdoor space? Yes, almost all of the rooms on the ground floor open on to or look out over stone patios that surround most of the house. Lots of arbors, pergolas, etc.

7. Fresh or artificial flowers and plants inside the house? A few orchids (when did they become so hearty). I almost never buy flowers; they seem too formal for our country home. I usually cut flowers from somewhere on our property.

8. Where did/do you splurge in your home? And for yourself? I am guilty of splurging pretty much everywhere, at least when I think it is "worth it", but OTOH I hate to waste money on anything, big or small. For myself and my family, we splurge on services and experiences. I used to splurge on jewelry but I'm not into that much anymore, and I was never a huge spender on clothing (at least not compared to some).

9. Lip gloss, lipstick or chapstick? All but the last. Chanel or MAC for staining. I have NARS gloss i like right now, center of the bottom lip only.

1. Favorite comfort food? When it is cold like this, steel cut oats made with milk and tart cherries.
    2. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal? Have to give you my last meal instead. Went out to lunch in the city and had a wonderful salad of butter lettuces, cod on white beans, and a passion fruit semifreddo. yum
  • jlc712
    9 years ago

How long were you a member of GW.. or are you new to our community?

Joined in 2000 when we were doing a major remodel. I've been around off and on ever since, mostly lurking/reading, but posting in spurts.

Yum, yes please, milk and a little sugar or splenda. And lots of it.

Walls are boring beige, ivory, tan, brown bedding, pale blue accents.

My corner of the couch in the LR.

I wish, I would love to have a beautiful cottage garden, but I have a terrible black thumb, and no time for maintenance.

A little bit, we have a beautiful view from our back porch, and I have rockers, wicker, etc.

Not often. The black thumb strikes again.

For the house, rarely, but antiques are my weakness. For myself- makeup & hair products, and I love shoes and purses but feel guilty spending money on them.

All 3! Lipstick won't stay on me though, it dries out too fast. I put lip stuff on approximately 1 million times per day.

1. Favorite comfort food? Don't laugh-- cereal and peanut butter toast.
    2. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal? Coffee for breakfast, and a protein bar.
  • localeater
    9 years ago

What fun. Thanks for starting.

1. How long were you a member of GW.. 3 or 4 years I think

2. How do you take your coffee? Anytime, anywhere, preferably with a drop of soy milk and no sugar.

3. What color is your bedroom? SW Creamy

4. What is the coziest or most relaxing room of your house? Its all pretty relaxing by design.

5. Do you garden as well as decorate? Yes! Have very large vegetable garden, rock garden, shade garden, perrenial beds, and latest project is creating a wildflower, native plant space. Love plants, and gardening is my therapy.

6. Does your décor extend to your outdoor space? I don't think so.

7. Fresh or artificial flowers and plants inside the house? A very few plants, some animal always eats then pukes... I do have pots of herbs, do they count

8. Where did/do you splurge in your home? And for yourself? For little luxuries, a buy handspun dish towels from a woman I met at a craft fair, i also like really lovely soaps, again usually hand made. I don't think of it as a splurge, if when I do a home project I invest in getting the right high quality components.

9. Lip gloss, lipstick or chapstick? Life is too short to limit your choice to just one. Love clinique chubby sticks.

1. Favorite comfort food? Tuna noodle casserole
    2. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal? Breakfast is pretty routine, Maine blueberries, couple of pecans and whatever; cottage cheese, yogurt, oat meal, or a banana
  • debrak_2008
    9 years ago

1. How long were you a member of GW....since 2008!

2. How do you take your coffee? "None, thanks!" Drink green or herbal tea.

3. What color is your bedroom? Something like a goldish tan. Gave DH a palette of colors that coordinated together and let him pick the wall color from that.

4. What is the coziest....room? This is hard. The bedroom is the quietest and nice for taking naps.

5. Do you garden as well as decorate? NO. DH does all the gardening. I just enjoy the view.

6. Does your décor extend to your outdoor space? A little as I have a thing for leaves and we have metal sculptured leaves in the garden.

7. Fresh flowers / plants in the house? some plants and occasional fresh flowers that only survive because DH waters them.

8. Where did/do you splurge in your home? And for yourself? In the kitchen with heated granite. For me having my eyelashes/brows tinted regularly.

9. Lip gloss, lipstick or chapstick? Usually none.

1. Favorite comfort food? dark chocolate
    2. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal? Next meal is a quick protein bar for lunch.
  • tibbrix
    9 years ago

1. Joined in 2014

2. I have an on again/off again relationship with coffee. I'm on it now. Drink it the worst possible way: light cream and one tsp. of sugar

3. SW Languid Blue

4. Definitely my living room. It is to-die-for cozy

5. Incompetent gardener. But I do all of my gardening myself

6. No. I do have a picket-fence American flag next to the front door and a horseshoe from circa 1880, found on the property after a barn was torn down, up over the front door, of course!

7. Occasionally fresh; couple of fake. Nothing obtrusive

8. I had huge windows put in the MBR on a wall where there were no windows at all. I love fresh air; had central AC installed last spring but that was a business decision. I don't like AC myself. On myself: Hickory Chair sofa; CPA to do my taxes!

9. None. If lips get dry or chapped, I love Palmer's Cocoa Butter lip balm

1. Favorite comfort food: mashed potatoes; chicken and dumpling soup; GOOD mac and cheese
    2. next meal, breakfast: Fage 2% yogurt w/banana.
  • busybee3
    9 years ago

1.) I joined GW in 2004 (saw year a couple of weeks ago when it merged with houzz) when we were building a pool. gradually over the years I've checked out the other forums depending on what I was researching.

2.) I drink coffee with flavored creamer- usually one with chocolate in the name... I love mocha anything I think!

3.) bedroom is SW silvermist... love it.

4.) in this house I would have to say the family room is the coziest...

5.) I garden some... always have lots of planters and love perennials... always put in a small veggie garden- tomatoes, peppers, basil and usually a squash...

6.) planters add color to our outdoors- this house has a nice patio and even though our lot is much smaller in our current house I love the outdoor space... patio rather than a raised deck- for some reason I really like it!

7.) I have several houseplants-- love to have some green in the house- have to be careful NOT to get what the cat loves to eat!! love having cut flowers in the house, but it is such a pain with the cat! I currently have flowers on top of the dog crate in the kitchen since she won't jump up there!!

8.) I feel like I have been buying constantly for a few months getting this house to be home... but I definitely am not a splurger in the extravagant sense.

9.) I often put on a CG lipgloss in demure- gives moisture and alittle shine. will wear lipstick if getting dressed up to go out- like stains since they stay on, but they seem to make my lips very dry. smear on alittle vaseline at night- really keeps my lips soft.

10.) for comfort I think anything with melty cheese!!

11.) no specific plans for a next meal at this point-- making shrimp and grits tomorrow night tho! not a big grits person, but love a good shrimp and grits!

• lyfia
    9 years ago
    1. Since 2001 - WOW been 14 years. I mostly read though - better than reading news

2. No coffee for me

3. Dark Tan - custom mix that I had color matched as I had so many samples that none worked so I mixed them together until it did.

4. None really yet, but getting there. I think the outdoor space we are planning will by my favorite.

5. yes, when I have time, but been short on that lately so paid somebody last year to re-work some of my beds

6. I try, but fail due to time

7. Fresh/real, easier to dust off ;) just give 'em a bath and they help indoor air quality

8. Built a work shop/garage 5 years ago that is larger than our interior space of the house by 300sq ft. Now working on building a large patio and pool. My weekly splurge is paying a "domestic engineer" to clean my house weekly.

9. chapstick - I don't think I even know where to start if I had to pick a shade of lipstick.

1. Chicken and white long grain sticky Rice with yellow curry sprinkled on top - I grew up on this and now it is my daughter's favorite too.
    2. lunch - leftover Shrimp fried rice made with brown rice, not sure about dinner tonight yet.
  • User
    9 years ago

1) I've been on gw since 2005.

2) I use a stovetop espresso maker and add frothed milk and honey for sweetener, with a bit of cinnamon. Am trying to cut out the honey but its so hard!

3) My bedroom is some shade of tan/beige I guess. Whole house is painted this color. When we bought it I wanted to change it to white, but this color has grown on me and I haven't changed it.

4) My sunroom is the room I enjoy being in most. My house is on a small lake that is home to many waterfowl, so I enjoy sitting there with my morning coffee and watching the different birds. It changes throughout the season - pelicans, cormorants, herons, all kinds of birds. Probably not cozy because its all windows, but its the room I enjoy most.

5) I do enjoy gardening. Its funny because my last house had a lot of land but I didn't garden (vegetables) because with so many deer it was impossible unless we wanted to fence it in. I did grow as many deer-proof flowers/shrubs etc. but having to select from what they don't eat kind of takes the fun out of it. Now here, I have pretty much no land but no deer so I am trying to grow vegetables in containers which is kind of silly but I am determined. I just started my seeds indoors for tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini and something else which I can't remember right now! Also, milkweed for the monarch butterflies. I did get quite a few tomatoes last year but I have a spot for them on the ground, so not container.

6) My decor extends outside a bit. Lots of flowering plants in pots, windchimes, birdfeeders, bee-house thingie, etc.

7) I've got a few orchids and an ivy plant and a succulent. Would love to have more but don't have the proper spots for more.

8) No real pattern -- I can be thrifty in some areas and extravagant in others. Will spend a lot on traveling. Like to stay in nice places/eat in nice restaurants.

9) Here's where I am thrifty -- I pretty much only use a cheap drugstore tinted gloss type thing -- I think it's covergirl? But I won't go out the door without something on my lips.

1. Roasted chicken, roasted potatoes/carrots w/garlic cloves and lots of homemade gravy. And some good bread.

9) Next meal is probably veggie omelet for lunch.

• OllieJane
    9 years ago
    1. I think since 2003, so 12 years-must have been house number three we were building at the time!

2. One cup every morning with half and half and teaspoon of sugar. I am trying to incorporated teas instead-sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

3. Very light BM taupe color-can't remember name offhand-but found it on Houzz!

4. Our very small living room is the coziest, I have a leather chair right by the fireplace that is my favorite spot. Not that we get to use the fireplace much...

5. I'm more passionate about gardening and always have been-but I like to decorate too! As many new homes as we've built, I have gotten to landscape quite a bit. I am looking forward to this being our forever house, and this house is more on the contemporary side, so I am excited about using shrubs and trees I haven't used before. I pick it out and have someone else plant it now! Maybe that's why I was skinny back then!

6. Like lyfia, we are in process of pool and back patio and outdoor kitchen area. But, I plan on getting all new outdoor furniture to extend to our outside. Instead of the large and medium size planters and containers I have now, I plan on getting HUGE ones that make a statement.

7. Got rid of all my fake palm trees, etc. BUT, almost wish I had them back now-our cat's love the potted trees and plants I brought in from the outdoors-UGH! But, one of the reasons I wanted Saltillo tile floors all through the house, was because I wanted to have big live potted trees and plants indoors, without worrying about the floors. So, I'm toughing it out!

8. Splurge-well, right now, I am looking out my front dining room window-onto the courtyard and I see the custom contemporary gate-this is a 1970 house that we completely remodeled inside and out-too many splurges to mention! Of course, I went overboard!

9. Has Chapstick changed?? I just remember my dad wearing it and it left a wax film on his lips! I wear a few different colors and kinds of lipsticks-my mood changes daily!

10. My comfort food is Fried Pork Chops, Fried Potatoes and Creamed Corn and sliced tomatoes on the side-and can't forget about the Sweet Tea! My son's favorite too!

11. DS has basketball practice tonight-so I normally just make a BLT and soup when we get home.

After all these years, this is the first GTKY I have ever done! I think I'm a little too "wordy" but maybe I will get better on the next one!

• kkay_md
    9 years ago

About 10 years, starting when we were remodeling our house.

Black, except for my morning Italian espresso with steamed milk.

I can't even remember; it's up next for a paint job.

Our upstairs "lounge"--it looks over the garden, and is very quiet and serene.

Yes, I am an avid gardener.

In that I am interested in designing the space. We have a terrace off the dining room and I enjoy "decorating" that.

Fresh flowers. And real plants, but sparingly--mostly in my office, which has windows on all 3 sides.

Kitchen (I love to cook). And my hair... groan. I hate to think how much I spend.

All three, though not at the same time.

Popcorn!

Lunch at my Chinese friend's house: Homemade dumplings. Just getting ready to join her!

• deegw
    9 years ago

Since 2001! Isn't that crazy?

Black with a little milk.

Greige and blue

Bedroom

As little as possible

Not really

Plants, forced bulbs, occasionally cut flowers

I purchased some Frye boots with Christmas $. Most things in my house are nice but are not splurges. I like to bargain shop

Fresh Sugar tinted lip treatment

• OutsidePlaying
    9 years ago

1. Member of GW since 2005.

2. Black coffee, but I will have a skinny vanilla latte for a treat now and then.

3. Paint is BM Alexandria Beige, with bed fabrics in bone and green.

4. Coziest and most relaxing place is our den.

5. Yes, I am probably a better gardener than decorator. I spend a lot of time in my gardens.

6. Yes, we have a covered back porch, front porch and a patio, and I am always tweaking things out there. And plants get dug up and moved around a lot at my house. We hire out a lot of the heavy lifting but I enjoy planning and doing some things myself, including the veg garden.

7. Fresh, but I really don't have a lot of house plants. I buy fresh flowers now and then and when we have guests but I mostly rely on cut flowers from my garden when they are in season.

8. Biggest splurge for the house varies, but might be on rugs or a piece of furniture now and then. For me it's skin care, Jo Malone products, shoes.

9. All three depending on where i'm going and what I'm doing. I sometimes layer gloss over lipstick. And I am never without my Mentholatum Natural Ice lip balm with spf.

1. Favorite comfort food is fresh corn on the cob with fresh tomatoes. Smoked macaroni and cheese is close.

2. Don't know what is for dinner, but it will probably involve chicken and a baked potato. I know, boring, but I am on low-residue for a few days. Having a colonoscopy on Monday.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

How long were you a member of GW.. or are you new to our community?

I think I joined around 2007 when we were refreshing our bathrooms.

Fat free Creamer with either real sugar or nothing.

Tan. Don't like it. Need to repaint.

LR. It's where I spend most of my time.

Not really. I am not good with plants at all.

No, but I would like to improve this.

Usually none because the cats would go after them.

My blue Big Chill fridge was a splurge. For myself, my Mustang convertible. She's more high maintenance than I am.

All of the above!

Lemon meringue pie.

1. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal? Breakfast will be oatmeal, berries, and skim milk.
  • Sueb20
    9 years ago

1. Our kitchen is little over 9 years old, and I joined during the reno, so yikes, probably about 10 years! This is the only message/discussion forum I belong to.

2. Coffee? Yes! With 2% milk or half and half. No sugar.

3. Revere Pewter.

4. These days, it's the living room. Fireplace + faux fur throw + dogs. In the summer, it's my little screened porch.

5. I garden, but in a limited space. We have one strip of garden that runs along the walkway from the driveway to our back gate and I confine my tinkering to that space.

6. We have a screened in porch that I enjoyed decorating when it was built. The only other exterior "decor" is an umbrella table on the patio -- the umbrella matches one of the colors used in the porch furniture, which is adjacent to the patio. I think we still have a patio...it's buried under about 4' of snow.

7. Yes to fresh plants. We have about 10 plants throughout our first floor. No faux plants or flowers. I buy myself a bouquet of flowers at the grocery store about every two weeks in the winter. In summer, I cut flowers from my garden.

8. Home splurges: some Stickley/Mission furniture pieces. Good desk chairs. A good mattress. Oh, and a whole second home near the beach -- a huge splurge, especially when we renovated, but DH says every day spent there adds a year to his life. :)

Personal splurges: Artsy jewelry. Hair cut/color. Handbags. Manicures, sometimes weekly. (It's $12; does that count as a splurge?) And travel.

9. Mostly lip gloss but getting more into lipstick. Never Chapstick, but Aquaphor goes everywhere with me.

1. Comfort food...it kinda depends on my mood. Sometimes ice cream or chocolate, sometimes pasta or Chipotle chicken burrito bowl.
    2. It's 11:20 pm, so the next meal will be breakfast. Probably coffee and oatmeal with some chopped walnuts and a dash of maple syrup.
  • jdez
    9 years ago

1. Just a lil bit.

2. Black.

3. SW cascade green

4. The back porch

5. Not yet

6. Not yet.

7. No flowers here.

8. Countertops & shower tile. I never splurge on anything.

9. Occasional Chapstick.

1. Fresh buttered bread

2. Skipped it.

• Mimou-GW
    9 years ago

Gardenweb member since 2004 however I changed my name with the move to Houzz.

black

White

The living room is cozy but it needs a make over!

We have raised bed veggies and the previous owner was a great gardener. I have too many allergies to really enjoy gardening so I have a guy who helps me out.

We have a couple of outdoor decks. One is just outside the living room so it is furnished to look like an extension of that room.

I love growing orchids and I always have fresh flowers in the dining room.

I don't really splurge on the house but I'm always happy to pay a little more for quality. I do like nice kitchen stuff. For myself, I guess I splurge a little on my hair.

Chapstick!

Popcorn

Coffee for breakfast.

• inthetrees
    9 years ago

Never a member of GW and started using my Houzz account during "the change." But.... I lurked on GW off and on for a decade (?) I don't really know, but it was another time of some turmoil :)

With milk. I love coffee with milk. I also like Turkish coffee black, but only after dinner.

BM Elephant Tusk. Its perfect for me in this low-light space and DH thinks its white :)

My living room is very cozy now that I exchanged my dining room and living room. The new living room is smaller and doesn't have a TV!

Love to garden and enjoy doing yard work, but I am not very good at the gardening part.

Yes.

real plants, real and fake flowers (I use the fake judiciously, it works for me)

We will splurge for rugs, furniture and lighting. I love beautiful, unique and versatile handbags/backpacks. Fortunately there are not that many that appeal, but if I find something I love, I'll buy it.

I usually wear tinted lipgloss. If I'm going to be eating in a nice place I will wear lipstick that stays on through the meal.

Hmm... homemade chicken soup with lots of vegetables, including left-over cooked veggies.

Fajita-like things for dinner: Grilled chicken, sautéed onions and guac wrapped in romaine leaves.

• Irish2
    9 years ago

Since I am not a prolific writer I tend to lurk more than I post.

Happy to see so many funny, talented, caring, people have checked in.

Thanks for starting the dialogue, Funkyart!

• peaceofmind
    9 years ago

1. Member of GW since 2002

2. No coffee, although I love the smell of it.

3. Bedroom is pale yellow and hasn't changed in years.

1. I tend to have spots or corners that are cozy, not whole rooms. Right now I'm sitting in a corner of my living room where I can watch the funny goats in the field across the street, and the people walking or driving by. In the evening I can watch the sunset here.

5. Gardening is what drew me to Gardenweb. Decorating is something I do in my head and always have. I've been drawing very rough layouts of houses and decorating them since I was a little girl.

6. I have lawn chairs in different spots. I admire the furniture I see on decks and patios. I like to be able to move my chairs to the warmest or coolest spot or the prettiest view so they have to be lightweight.

7. I seldom buy flowers and don't make bouquets from my garden very often. I have green plants and plants that bloom in the house. Miniature roses, African violets, amaryllis, and Christmas cactus are some of my favorites.

1. Even the word splurge makes my stomach clench. Forty years ago we bought a kitchen table. It was very pretty, very "of the moment". Because we splurged on it and it was extremely well made we are still using it. It is the only piece of furniture I have had for so long. I liked to buy things at garage sales and thrift stores. I liked change and all the rest of my furniture is so cheap that I could change it out on a whim. It had

to be lightweight so I could move it from room to room. Now that I'm retired I wish I'd invested in good furniture. I knew a couple who bought all new furniture for their fiftieth wedding anniversary and I thought that was crazy. My fiftieth is coming up in a few months and it is beginning to sound like a good idea. Maybe I'll splurge!

1. lipstick occasionally.
    2. Roast beef cooked with carrots, onions, and potatoes. Also chocolate
    3. I had stew for lunch made from the remnants of a roast I'd cooked a couple of days ago. Have you tried Better Than Bouillon? It comes in a jar in beef, chicken, or veggie flavors and makes everything taste terrific. Worth a splurge and I don't read the label cause I don't want to know if it is unhealthy. I also had banana pudding.
  • inthetrees
    9 years ago

Thank you all for making new folks feel welcome!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I didn't officially join until 2007, I think. However, I was a lurker way back (is pre-2000 possible?), then when they started charging to join, I wandered away for a few years.

Preferably, black with artificial sweetner, but sometimes with flavored creamer, and if I'm feeling decadent on the weekend, with Bailey's.

RH Silver Sage

It is still waiting to happen

Gardening is done by the landscaping crew. I love homes with beautiful gardens and lawns, but I care nothing about doing the actual work myself.

Not yet, but having brunch for out of town friends in April. Got to get it done.

Plants in the house: orchids, small dracena, and a philodendron. Cut flowers from time to time.

In the new house: Inax Clessence in MBa; lots and lots of electrical outlets. For myself, travel and nice restaurants.

CoverGirl Outlast All Day lipstick (I'm not good at reapplying and it stays), chapstick always in my purse

1. Favorite comfort food? mac and cheese with bacon or prosciutto - a rare treat
    2. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal? Lunch was a bowl of soup I made using bits and pieces of things in the fridge (chicken broth, mushrooms, onions, garlic, white wine, noodles, cream and a couple of tablespoons of leftover chicken stew that added chicken, peas, and carrots to the mix. It was really good!). I'm a huge soup nut!
  • daki
    9 years ago

I joined in 2002 towards of the tail end of our kitchen remodel in our previous house. Our washing machine died...found the laundry forum and the kitchen forum. I think I originally discovered garden web a year or two earlier while searching for shade gardens. I still lurked around in usenet back then so not totally sure.

with whole milk...

No idea. A neutral beige that tends towards a sandy peachy color. We have been here over 10 years and I have not decided what color to paint our bedroom or living room yet.

DH and I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Sitting at a table by a sunny window can be very relaxing :). Second favorite room is our sunroom. We really like windows :)

I try. Not always successful though

yes and no. I've been trying to make our covered back porch more cozy though.

House plants! (both at home and in my cubicle at work). Plants seem to make rooms more peaceful and welcoming. I do have a fake ivy in a basket on top of the armoire in the bedroom though. I occasionally buy flowers, but not very often (prefer sunflowers when I do)

We splurged on our kitchen remodel, but have enjoyed the result.

chapstick. Makeup feels awkward and weird

10. Favorite comfort food?

pizza?

11. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal?

Tonight I made pineapple curry chicken fried rice

• golddust
    9 years ago

I joined GW in 2004 when we were updating our kitchen (DIY).

I have a Professional Espresso machine so it's always a Latte.

Warm yellow.

My family room.

Yes.

I wish it was better.

Fresh.

Kitchen and bath. I have a Sub Zero refrigerator and a Toto toilet that does everything.

Burt's Bees 'Fig'.

Cheese Fondue.

No idea yet. I left my jean jacket at a skating rink about an hour away. Plan to pick it up today. Will likely eat lunch out.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

1. GW member? Since 2007.

I found this site while googling reviews of Dacor ovens. I had to switch my login name a few years back when I discovered that my neighbor lurked here and repeated my comments to other neighbors. I never said anything that I regretted but I found her actions a little creepy.

2. Coffee. With Skim Plus Fat Free half n half.

3. What color is your bedroom? Right now it's primed and awaiting our decision on color.

4. Coziest or most relaxing room? My family room with a gas Jotul stove. Good for cuddling, watching TV or reading.

5. Do you garden as well as decorate? I garden and pay someone to help me decorate.

6. Does your décor extend to your outdoor space? It's more like my indoor space is influenced by my outdoors.

7. Fresh or artificial? I grow orchids and there are more than 30 spread throughout the house. When they're blooming I bring them to a more prominent location. Even now after one of the coldest months we've had I have six blooming.

8. Where did/do you splurge in your home? And for yourself? We splurge by purchasing what we want. We research first and then buy - it might be the 2 Sub Zeros in the kitchen or a vintage rug in the foyer. But it could equally be something we found at the local Habitat for Humanity store or at an out of the way 'antique' furniture store that we stumbled upon while on a drive. We look for quality first and then value. For myself? I usually let DH handle those splurges but I did just buy a vintage Hermes scarf - it was a limited release and had a special meaning for me.

9. Lip gloss, lipstick or chapstick? Only chapstick if need.

1. Favorite comfort food? Must I limit it to one? Oh well. Mac and Cheese.
    1. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal? We're having homemade minestrone soup tonight and salad. We had to cancel dinner reservations due to the treacherous ice.
  • MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

MC, Vintage hermes scarf, that sounds interesting! Can you tell us more? I love scarves but I can't deal with sqaure ones; i never seem to tie them right!

Daki, Pineapple curry chicken fried rice sounds so good ... recipe handy?

• LynnNM
    9 years ago
    1. Mtn: I'm the same way with square scarves. I have a beautiful, classic Chanel silk scarf (black with the gold concentric chain motif and Chanel logo in the middle). Beautiful! I pull it out every Summer to wear and then end up tying it onto my bag instead of around my neck because I can never seem to tie it so that it looks relaxed, if that makes any sense.
  • cran
    9 years ago

1. I have been a member since 2006! I am mostly a lurker, but remember some of the old names that have been mentioned in other posts.

2. I just starting drinking coffee in a protein/coconut milk shake.

3. Our bedroom is a creamy yellow.

4.Coziest room is our family room, dark aqua walls and a big cream colored sectional, best when there's a fire going.

1. I have a cutting garden, I do not do well in the sun, so mainly DH helps with that.

2. Our newly renovated kitchen opens out to our deck and then to the yard, which is quite private.

3. Only fresh flowers, always orchids in the kitchen.

4. When we renovated our kitchen we splurged, if we knew how much we'd love it we would have done it sooner.

9. lip gloss

1. Grill cheese and tomato.

2. Another snowy day here in MA, so German beef stew, French bread and red wine in front of the fire and TV.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Sorry Mtn I didn't see your question about my scarf until the thread popped back to the top. Now it's true confession time. Scarves are a weakness of mine and I have many. Some are utilitarian and worn for warmth but others are simply decorative, wearable pieces of art.

The one I just bought (Feux d' Artifice) was a special commemorative design to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Hermes in 1987 and coincided with a fireworks display. It's silk jacquard and you can see the repeating pattern of the fireworks in the weave of the scarf - just like a watermark. It's never been reissued and the story is that the plates were destroyed.

It is a little more time consuming to tie a square scarf so that it looks just right. But what makes it even more difficult is folding it so that the design looks fluid and you can appreciate the play of rich colors. The trick is to watch some videos and then practice!

• Springroz
    9 years ago

1. I have on GW since we first got internet, probably 1999....

2. I LOVE good coffee! I used to put brown rice syrup and 1/2 and 1/2 in it, but now, just 1/2 and 1/2.

3. The walls are PPG Dusty Trail, and SW

4. Kitchen is cozy.

5. I garden A LOT. I have a degree in Horticulture.

6. Yes...it would if I had the money to furnish the porches!

7. I love flowers cut out of the gardens, and orchids on the tub deck.

8. I splurge in the barn....I love antique carriages and sleighs!

9. Chapstick ALL the time, lipstick when I put on make up to go to town. LOVE lipstick!!

10. Macaroni and cheese for me.

11. My new lunch....a can of tuna on an avocado.

• mudhouse
    9 years ago

1. I think I joined GW in 2007...or 2008, via the Greenhouse Forum.

2. Love coffee, strong and bold. Artificial sweetener, if it's handy.

3. Bedroom walls: primer white (after taking down wall paper.) Soon, greige.

4. Coziest room: currently our office, where DH and I have back-to-back desks, a TV, a million books, and too many coffee cups.

5. Big time gardeners, both of us. I'm a nutso for succulents and cacti especially. I love wicked looking plants, for some reason; they have attitudes.

6. Decor extending outdoors: Our indoor space has been neglected because we love living on our big patios, and working outdoors. Trying to remedy that...

7. Fresh plants, although they mostly summer outdoors. Right now our foyer is a maze of potted Agaves, sheltering for the winter.

8. Splurge: a small greenhouse. I hope the next splurge is an induction range, and a higher kitchen ceiling.

9. Lipstick.

10. Fav food: pizza. I could live on it. Seriously. Cold pizza for breakfast, hot pizza for lunch and dinner. Done.

11. Next meal: a nice big chef salad with ham, cheese, and hard boiled eggs. I can assemble things, but I'm not a good cook. DH is our cook, thank goodness.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

#1-Way, way, way back-mid 90's I think it was.

#2-Living in the PNW, you kind of have to be a coffee lover. I like mine in a giant mug with the white powder stuff and Stevia. If I take it fluffy it's a soy latte, extra foamy.

#3-The walls are a purply gray-I don't remember the name, white trim and orange for accent colors.

#4-My living room is my cozy room. It's brightly lit, yet has coved ceilings that make it feel like a hug. I'm planning to do a major make over in there this year, if I can find the time.

#5-More of a landscaper than a gardener. I love to plant plants, but I tend to neglect them, so that's why I go with natives and go with a 'natural' sprawling look.

#6-My DH makes garden art and I LOVE to do landscape design, so yes, definitely decorate our outside spaces. This past year I've started to actually 'decorate' our front porch, by changing out vignettes seasonally. Some day I plan to redo our deck out back and make an outdoor living room.

#7-Fresh only. Hoping to bring in more positive energy in my house-but I've seen some beautiful artificial stuff, just not for me.

#8-Home-don't usually splurge, but I do treasure hunt for vintage oddities. We've got too many animals to splurge on GOOD furniture or rugs. But I guess I'd say our bed is the best splurge. For myself, it's rock concert Tee's. They are definitely a splurge, given what I pay for the concert and for the cost of the Tee itself!

#9-Lipstick when I think about it. Never use chapstick, my lips are not ever dry for some reason.

#10-Nacho cheese Doritos and ice cold Diet Pepsi

#11-No idea. It's a sunny day out, so that means working outside which means I'll probably forget to eat today until I am famished and we resort to calling for pizza delivery.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths