SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kadydid

Tweaking my kitchen: question about ceiling height cabinets

kadydid
9 years ago

A few years ago I stained my golden oak kitchen cabinets with General finishes. I used the Brown Mahogany, but after using the Java in a different room, I plan on going slightly darker soon. I have wanted to do this for sometime and I think this is the year to do it considering we are going to take out the cabinet directly above the stove, along with the microwave and install a hood vent.

So while I am mixing things up, I have been considering extending my cabinets up to the ceiling.

So that it is more like this.

My only issue is, the upper cabinets on the left side of my kitchen are below a light fixture. For some odd reason our builder put the light partially above the cabinet and my husband does not want for us to move the light and have to repair a ceiling. Which he is probably right, it would be a complete pain in the butt.

So I would not be able to extend all of my upper cabinets up the ceiling, only the ones on the right side of the room. The 3 uppers that are on the left, closest to the sink, would have to remain unchanged. (although I would change the trim)

(during refinishing chaos....but shows the height of the cabinets)

So what do you think? Could I leave the height of the cabinets on the left alone while bringing the cabinets on the right side of the room up to the ceiling? Or would it look to lopsided?

Comments (7)