SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hhcibtpaun

Kitchen Cabinets - Questions about Quality....

hhcibtpaun
16 years ago

Ok, here goes. A few weeks back I purchased a kitchen full of Honey Maple, Shaker Cabinets. Nineteen to be exact. Well, I just received them this week and started the install today. Some of the things I had some issues with are the following:

On a few of the doors, the inlaid panels are noticeably darker than others.

All the doors are either bowed (they just don't close right)or just need to be tweaked with the hinges.

Also, on the inlay of the doors, it looks like there is a border of area around the inside perimeter that is lighter than the rest. Almost like there is no finish (there is, it just looks like maybe it is lighter). Of course maybe it is an optical illusion.

Now the kicker. These are Chinese RTA cabinets, that were built then delivered to me. On the whole they do not seem too horrible, but I just want to check and see if the issues I am seeing are a results of the Chinese RTA, or if they are general issues everyone will see.

Needless to say, I am not a happy camper. My first thought was to stop the install, head to cabinets direct, buy the kraftmaid cabinets that I was originally going to and call it a dayÂI realize that to some point you get what you pay for, but I am not sure if I am being overly critical, or I have a horrible set of cabinets.

So, what is it. To frame the conversation, if I did not get these cabinets, I would have gotten the kraftmaid. I have read some horror stories about them, but maybe they are few and far between.

I have posted some photos of the cabinets.

http://www.adeptivemedia.com/misc/kitchen/

I would appreciate any and all comments. The lazy suzan and the cabinet by the oven are the darker doors. In some of the pictures you can see the light edges on the inlay panels.

If I read the kraftmaid catalog, they have a 14 step process on finishing the doors, yada, yada...The price differential between the Kraftmaid and the RTA is about $5000.00. Is it worth it, or are the items I am seeing common for cabinets....and I am just being overly critical.

Thanks...Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Kitchen Cabinets

Comments (7)