SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidahn

Is 16 SEER Lennox A/C 5X better than 18 SEER Goodman?

D Ahn
9 years ago

I bought a bank repo home 2 years ago in San Diego. It was completely stripped... cabinets, counters, toilets, sinks, even crown molding... but sweet! 3 A/C units still in place! Then a heat wave comes, 85 degrees, A/C cools the kitchen at 0.5 degrees per hour, runs constantly for 4 hours in the afternoon until the outside temps finally drop, electric bills over $500 for a few days of A/C use.

Turns out A/C compressors were no-name ICP SEER 10 units dropped in by the bank. Furnaces are Arcoaire DLX 90 92% AFUE models, not as low-end as the A/C units, but single speed. I got installed pricing on two 4-ton and one 2-ton Lennox SEER 16, 2-speed condensers and coils from a local installer through Costco... $25K installed. I checked online and two Goodman 4 ton 18 SEER and a 2 ton 16 SEER 2-speed units run $4.5K, plus install.

Question 1: Is Lennox 5X better than Goodman? Regardless of brand, I stand to save maybe $100 a month for 2 months a year, breakeven 125 yrs at $25K, 30 years at $6K. I've read various opinions: "Goodman sucks. Trane rocks;" "Every brand has reported problems;" "A quality installation is more important than the brand." Looking for some solid guidance.

Question 2: If I just replace the compressors, must I also replace the coils? Or is there a way to connect it to my existing coils and make sure it works efficiently?

Question 3: Would my ideal solution be to get high efficiency heat pumps with new multispeed air handlers, or air conditioners with multispeed gas furnaces? I'm pretty set on getting at least a 2-stage system to maximize energy efficiency and to avoid short cycling and humidity buildup.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing from you experts!

Comments (3)