SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Ideas Wanted: Framing an 8,000 Year Old Spearhead

LynnNM
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I own an 8,000-10,000 year old spearhead that I am about to have framed. It has been authenticated as a Lost Lake Point (spearhead). As a spearhead, it's in very good condition, quite valuable and beautiful . . . at least to me (LOL).
This was my brother's, who found it on his own private property over thirty years ago. He recently gifted it to me. I do have a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) for it from one of the top experts in the country on these kinds of artifacts. Plus similar authentications from three more experts.
I'm attaching a photo that I took of it.
Dimensions: 3 3/4" long x 1 3/4" at it's widest point.
So, although it's an average size for a spearhead of this age, it's a small thing to frame by itself and still make it's presence known on a wall. I'm thinking somewhere between a 5x7" and 8x10" frame. What do you think?
Matting: It will need to be museum mounted in a custom made shadowbox-type frame. But for the matting around it, do you think that a suede/buckskin type of mat would be best? I was also thinking that if I could find it, a sepia print of an old geological map of the area (Indiana) might look interesting. Thoughts? More ideas?
We'll probably hang it our family room to the side of our kiva fireplace. We have a trio of framed Native American artifacts farther down on that same wall that are matted with a the tan sueded matting. Do you think I should have my framer try to use that same matting or would something different around such a small object help it to stand out more do you think?

The other framed artifacts hanging on the same wall, but down farther.

Comments (26)