SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leavemeout

My vessel sink has an opening in the back - normal?

leavemeout
9 years ago

I just bought three vessel sinks to place on some old washstands in three different bathrooms. I wanted a sink with a deck-mounted faucet so I wouldn't have to bother with cleaning around a vessel faucet mounted directly on the washstands.

The sinks arrived today, and I discovered to my horror that they are open on the back!! These are not wall-mounted sinks, they were described as a "15" round vessel sink" accompanied by a photo showing the sink mounted on a countertop, about 3 or four inches out from the wall. Nothing gave me any idea that the back of this sink could be open.

Is this normal for this type of sink? If I keep the sink, how will I keep from getting water and gunk in that great big gaping opening in the back of the sink? There is no way to seal it. If I spill water on the top of the washstand, it can easily get into that opening and sit on the wooden top or possibly leak down the drain and supply holes in the wooden top. I'm assuming the plumber will seal those holes, or will he?

Here's a photo:

Should I just bite the bullet and send these sinks back? I bought them from HomeClick, which will make me pay shipping (there and back) if I return them. I'll try to argue that they were not advertised accurately and hope they waive the shipping. I ought to have bought one first, but I worried they'd sell out and I'd be stuck with only one sink, when I need three!! Is there any way to salvage this fiasco? Anyone have a vessel sink like this?

Comments (11)