SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlinek

Prob. Re: Vessel Sink Install - has ridges

arlinek
14 years ago

It's good to be back! I haven't been here in quite a while, though always checking once in a while to ogle the beautiful bathrooms. Here's our problem: We're close to having a granite counter installed in our powder room and need to decide size of hole for glass vessel sink, based on how low we wish to embed it into the counter. I'm thinking about 1/3 of the way down. It's quite large, larger than I realized before purchasing. One can see through it rather well, also.

But, and here's the main problem: the exterior has ridges and with a bit of texture (see pics). Dimensions are 17.25" X about 7" high. Since I want to lower the height of the sink, I'm curious about how to have the sink hole cut. I think it would be almost impossible to cut a hole following the exact profile of the exterior (not to even mention the custom charge for that!) I'm guessing that the ridges protrude by about 1/4" or a little more beyond the receded part of the exterior. I'm presuming that the sink might wobble some if there isn't a snug fit between the glass ridges and the cut opening in the granite. How do we do this? My DH was thinking to purchase a large diameter, clear vinyl hose (from an aquarium shop) and slit it open and line the counter sink hole with it, hoping it would "take up the gaps" between the ridges. I'm assuming we'd also need to clear silicone it, too, so water doesn't run down into the cab. The granite fabricator hasn't seen the sink but we told him it has texture to it. He did mention about slightly beveling the edge of the hole. So, my question is: is this going to be a problem? Is there a solution or do I need to buy a different sink? 2nd question is: I'm a little worried about seeing through to the inside of my cabinet: the pipes, the cleaning supplies, etc. It's pretty crowded down there. Is there another solution for this? Even though the glass is textured, when I hold my hand near the exterior, I can see the hand quite clearly. Hoping some of you have some solutions for this dilemma. (sorry for the lg. pics; thought I'd reduced them enough)

Comments (11)