SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

Does sound like a normal sink trap clean-out plug?

la_koala
12 years ago

Our 2nd floor bathroom sink was draining slowly, so my husband decided to "check it out" by removing the clean-out plug at the bottom of the trap.

Now he's getting a leak after putting the clean-out plug back.

What's bizarre (to both of us) is that this plug just seemed to be seated into the pipe, without screwing it into any threads inside the pipe.

I examined it more myself today, and it almost seems like someone previously cut around where the clean-out plug was originally threaded into the pipe. The part of the J-curve pipe where the plug was is smooth--as if they tried to get the plug off, couldn't, and took a pipe-cutter and cut around to take it off. (And it almost looks like there's a threaded part inside the removed plug.)

This is an old house (1880s) and I'm guessing this bathroom was last remodeled in the 50's or 60's. The piping under the sink looks like illustrations of an "S-trap" that I see on the web.

My husband took the plug to the plumbing store, and they said they don't recognize it as a normal, standard item.

Has anyone ever seen such a thing? Where someone would have cut around the clean-out plug to take it off--and then somehow reseal it back into place without using any threads?

Or such a plug that would go in place without any threading needed?

I took some digital pics of the plug, but still have to upload them. I thought I'd get this posted in case someone would say "of course, that's an ABC plug". :-)

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)