SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annaw_123

Replace table with island?

annaw_123
9 years ago

I had a radical (at least to me) idea the other day about our kitchen. Our kitchen is a rectangle. Forgive me but I don't have the measurements or pictures. At the end of the kitchen is a breakfast nook. It's not one of the nooks with the bench seating. It's an area that is surrounded on 3 sides by windows. It's probably about 10 feet wide. The windows are about 4 feet wide.

I had a thought the other day about putting in an eat-in island and moving the table. It would give me extra cabinet space and I could perhaps put the microwave in it instead of over the stove. I would really appreciate having more counterspace too. Right now I've got nowhere to roll out dough other than the kitchen table.

We have a dining room area in our great room so we would still have a table.

Our house is on a slab so I know it would be expensive to run electricity to the island and I'd have to put in new tile floors over the wire for the electricity.

Do you think it would look weird? Because it's surrounded on 3 sides by windows it's the only way I can think of to use the space for additional kitchen storage.

Comments (3)