SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjhtx

Design Dilemma-Replace island w/freestanding gas range

mjhtx
3 years ago

I’m in the design stage of doing a kitchen update in our all-electric home. After the Texas deep freeze in February, 2021, which left us with no electricity for days and days, we see the need for a gas range. Since we are rural, it will use LP gas, which we will also be adding. The kitchen currently has an island with a JennAir downdraft range. Our LP gas provider/code people/plumber say we can run the gas line through the pvc that exhausts the current vent. We can use an island vent above, since there’s a clear run to an outside wall.
Dilemma: There is NOT room for an island and a 36” range. That size is my dream, since we can/preserve/do advanced-skill cooking. My question: Can a 36” knee/half wall be used as the ‘back wall’ for the range? We’re looking at a 36” Blue Star range, which requires 0” clearance from cabinets on the back and sides. The wall could contain electric connections for the oven, have a stone countertop, and be a handy place to put ingredients as we cook.
We’d also like ideas for island vents...as minimal as possible, but with lights and adequate (600 cfm) venting.
I really hope this is a possible solution! This is an expensive upgrade, and we want the details right.
Illustrations are from a design software package.

Comments (33)