SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Key Lime Pie Topping Help?

chas045
9 years ago

I had never made a Key Lime Pie or a Graham Cracker Crust before. Fortunately, both crust and filling came out very well. My problem was with the topping. The recipe had called for whipped cream. The recipe had neglected to state pie pan size. I filled my regular 9 inch pan to the top with crust and found the filling only went up half way. Commercial pies that I have seen or eaten were covered at the edge with decorative 'cream' and I expected that adding whipped cream to the inside edge was what was expected and would look right.

Instead of whipping cream, I chose the aerosol can of Reddi Wip, thinking that it would be mostly cream, easier to pipe, and would probably stand up for days. Instead, it looked great for only a few minutes. Fortunately, I was only serving DW (who loves, and almost never gets key lime pie) and myself. Fortunately, her initial piece looked great. However, by the time I got around to cutting a piece for myself, the cream had slumped and lost half of its definition. I added a second band on top of the first and had a piece that was delish. I put the pie back in the fridge. By next morning, I just had a thin band of white. It still tastes great, but what a mess.

I don't often see or get key limes and don't really want to make more mistakes. So: if I had used whipping cream, would it have held up better. Would it need special handling? Should I have used cool whip instead? Or skip the topping entirely, and use a smaller pan and or less deep crust?

Comments (9)